Does Aragorn Know His Kin Are Dead?

Marielle

A few sessions back, we discussed Strider's reaction to the Nazgul:

"They will come on you in the wild, in some dark place where there is no help. Do you wish them to find you? They are terrible!"

The hobbits looked at him, and saw with surprise that his face was drawn as if with pain, and his hands clenched in the arms of his chair.

We hypothesized that Aragorn has some previous, never disclosed, history with the Ringwraiths. But I think maybe we do learn why he is so upset, if the mere existence of the Nazgul isn't enough reason to be upset.

According to the Tale of Years, the scattering (and presumed slaying) of the Rangers guarding the Shire occurred on 23 September, or the same day Frodo leaves Bag End. If Strider has been keeping eyes on the road, watching and waiting for his hobbit charges, he might have received word of the Riders' deeds in the Shire. Rather than a flashback to a personal trauma, Strider's reactions in the parlor in the Prancing Pony might be the grief of a Chieftain mourning his men and kin.

I believe that the language that Strider uses here dates back to an early (i.e. 'Trotter' draft) but that is typical of Tolkien's ability to re-contextualize an earlier draft into a new meaning as your connection to the Tale of Years would give the words new poignancy. Wow

Back