Frame Story for Season 7 and Beyond

What would be a good frame to accompany a season based on unity?
How about part of the Thorongil story - perhaps when Aragorn is in Minas Tirith. We could explore the dynamic of Aragorn and Echthelion and Denethor and the importance of unity in the face of an emerging Sauron.

How about part of the Thorongil story - perhaps when Aragorn is in Minas Tirith. We could explore the dynamic of Aragorn and Echthelion and Denethor and the importance of unity in the face of an emerging Sauron.
That's a thought, though I wanted to save it for the Fall of Gondolin with the parallels between Minas Tirith and Gondolin.

If we’re moving forward through the final years of the third age as before, then the frame story might be Thorongil in Rohan, which could certainly play to a theme of unity or even morning has come or opposing the enemy.
This could work. There is also the White Council, which hasn't been made use of yet. A White Council meeting could parallel nicely with the councils leading to the Union of Maedhros.

This could work. There is also the White Council, which hasn't been made use of yet.
My thought had been to use the last meeting of the White Council in 2953 where Saruman lies and claims that the One Ring has rolled all the way down to the sea, with a flashback to the storming of Dol Guldur where the White Council attacked but with a temporary victory since Sauron had done an up sticks back to Mordor. Instead of a crushing defeat it's a hollow victory.

Last edited:
Is there any concern about running out of third age timeline before we finish the first and second age stories? We might need to tell fourth age or other kinds of stories in the frame at the rate the elder days seasons are going…

I've been thinking that we need to figure out soon where we want to end up in the Third Age frame timeline by the end of the First Age. There are several places we could end. In any case I'm not particularly concerned about running out of frame, I've actually been a little concerned at times that we're going too slowly through the story.

I've been thinking that we need to figure out soon where we want to end up in the Third Age frame timeline by the end of the First Age. There are several places we could end.
There has been talk of the frame story finishing at about TA 3001 (the lead up to Bilbo’s big 111st birthday party) at the time that the main story finishes telling the events of the last centuries of the third age. That would allow us to do a frameless season for the great events of 3018-3019.
If we can’t manage to time it right though, or if it feels to forced, we have other options for later on, like Samwise telling stories to his children, or having long digressions during mayoral speeches given in the Fourth Age. We can also tell u told stories in the frame: Gandalf’s trips to Far Harad, following the BlueWizards’ activities resisting Sauron in the East, etc.

There has been talk of the frame story finishing at about TA 3001 (the lead up to Bilbo’s big 111st birthday party) at the time that the main story finishes telling the events of the last centuries of the third age. That would allow us to do a frameless season for the great events of 3018-3019.
If we can’t manage to time it right though, or if it feels to forced, we have other options for later on, like Samwise telling stories to his children, or having long digressions during mayoral speeches given in the Fourth Age. We can also tell u told stories in the frame: Gandalf’s trips to Far Harad, following the BlueWizards’ activities resisting Sauron in the East, etc.
Gandalf's trip to Far Harad was the focus of Season 5.

Gandalf's trip to Far Harad was the focus of Season 5.
Yup, I’m aware. I suspect there’s room to do more of that kind of thing. Umbar is roughly Egypt-south, but there’s a lot of continent further south than that. Plus his interactions with the dwarves that earned him the name Thrakun…

Last edited:
We will definitely have a session devoted to discussing the Frame for Season 7, but it will be neither session 2 nor 3.

Frame stories thus far:

1. Season 1: TA 2941 Gilraen 10 year old Estel is being raised in Rivendell by his mother, and tutored by Elrond concerning the earliest history of the world. Thorin and company pass through Rivendell on their way to the Lonely Mountain.
  2. Season 2: Arwen in Lothlorien contemplates her place in the world and the role of the Evenstar - does she belong in Middle-earth or Valinor?
  3. Season 3: TA 2947 Teenage Estel sneaks out of Rivendell for adventures with the Dúnedain. He befriends Hamilcar, who dies for him.
  4. Season 4: TA 2949 Balin, Gandalf, and Bilbo return to Erebor for an anniversary of the death of Smaug.
  5. Season 5: Gandalf's adventures in Harad as the return of Sauron impacts the area.
  6. Season 6: TA 2952 Arwen returns to Rivendell, concerned that the elves must flee before hope is lost. She meets 20-year-old Estel, who falls in love with her. He decides to go out into the Wild (after learning his name and heritage).
  7. ???
  8. ???
  9. ???
  10. ???
  11. ???
  12. ???

We will need six more frame stories to take us to the end of the First Age in the main story. Probably 3 of those will be Aragorn-centric. We have three Thorongil frame stories available: his time in Rohan, in the court in Gondor, and his adventures in the East/South. We would have to decide which season each of those fit best with, and if we want to do more than one frame in any of these settings.

So that would leave three 'other' frame stories, focused on different characters. We can focus on characters we've already introduced (such as Elrond, Galadriel, Gandalf, or the Sons of Elrond), or we could come up with new stories/characters to introduce.

Other events to work with:
TA 2951 - Nazgûl reoccupy Dol Guldor
TA 2953 - Last Meeting of the White Council
TA 2954 - Mount Doom reawakens
TA 2956 - Gandalf and Aragorn meet
TA 2980 - Betrothal of Aragorn and Arwen (save for a 2nd Age Frame, probably)

The Thorongil adventures occur during the 2956-2980 timeframe. So it might be nice to have one frame before we get into that story, though Aragorn could still appear as a cameo as he is now on adventures out in the world.

If Season 7 is going to be about unity/alliance/seize the day, then it could be a good fit for Aragorn in Rohan. He will be establishing himself for the first time as Thorongil. While he feels it is his purpose to go out into the world and do this...he's going to need allies, and he has a lot to learn. That could also possibly work with Season 8, as we'll have Túrin in the courts of Doriath and Nargothrond.

Likewise, either Season 11 or 12 could be a good match for Aragorn journeying off into the unknown to confront the evils of Sauron more directly. Our Harad prince from the Season 5 frane (who has been in Gondor's court ever since) could accompany him.

I think that Season 10 (the fall of Gondolin) will be a good time for Thorongil to make it to Gondor

Thread to discuss the Season 7 frame is now open!

Back