Frodo's fear - "It's not the End of the world"

amysrevenge

I'm listening to the discussion of Frodo's reaction to being under Tom's enchantment, and his sudden fear at the conclusion.

Earlier, there was a sort of throwaway comment to the effect "It's not the End of the world, it's the Beginning of the world".

True.

But they are watching it in reverse. So it kind of IS the End of the world from that perspective. And whatever you think about what will happen after the actual End, only oblivion awaits on the other side of the Beginning. So Frodo, starting to feel as if he were headed toward understanding oblivion as deeply as he's just been led to understand the birds and the bees, is afraid. Seems appropriate.

So Frodo, starting to feel as if he were headed toward understanding oblivion as deeply as he's just been led to understand the birds and the bees, is afraid. Seems appropriate.
I think you mean "the birds and the beasts." Tolkien, as a writer at least, was not on speaking terms with the birds and the bees.

Well, do as you think best, but it gives the scene a meaning which I don't think you intended, and definitely isn't implied in the original text.

Back