Gandalf and Narya (Ep. 178)

Listening to Ep. 178 on my way into work today I was interested in Corey's comment about the one place where he was sure Gandalf was using the power of Narya. The answer he gave - during the siege of Minas Tirith - was a good one, but it surprised me because I was certain he was going to say "the healing of Theoden". I still think it's at least as likely.

I was thinking it was when Gandalf rides out from the gates of Minas Tirith to save Faramir, who is being pursued by the Nazgul. As Pippin looks on from the walls, Gandalf "raised his hand, and from it a shaft of white light stabbed upwards. The Nazgul gave a long wailing cry and swerved away". Notably the shaft of white light comes from Gandalf's hand, not his staff. Also, we've long established that the Nazgul are so dangerous not because they are awesome sword fighters etc, but because they are the sources of fear and despair. If they could be put off by good cheer of a crowded inn, maybe Narya, the ring of fire that can rekindle hearts, can send out a concentrated blast of good vibes.

Back