Group Terms for Dragons

Velcanondil

I have been catching up on the podcast for about 2 years now, but I am finally almost through the backlog of episodes. I have never posted before, so I don't know if this is the right place, but I hope it is. However, I was chuckling over the discussion on group terms for dragons and thought I would put in my two cents. I have no linguistic precedent for this, but strangely enough I have actually thought about this question a number of times. The best I have ever come up with is one of two (very similar) options: a "Summer" of dragons or a "Simmer" of dragons.

Flammifer

If you google it, you will find that the most common collectives for Dragons are: a flight of dragons; a weyr of dragons; a school of dragons; or a wing of dragons.

Yours are more imaginative.

Robin Hobb (fantasy author) once called a group of dragons a catastrophe of dragons, which I think is pretty good.

JRRT, in The Silmarillion calls calls the onset of the winged dragons in the War of Wrath, "that dreadful fleet', so a fleet of dragons.

He also says that Earendil slew Ancalagon the Black, 'the mightiest of the dragon-host.' So, that implies a host of dragons.

I think that there is no settled collective, so we are free to invent our own.

amysrevenge

I mentioned it in the chat at the time but it got buried quickly. One collective noun for worms is a "clew" of worms. I feel like that would be good for dragons.