Hobbit birthday presents

lihtox

I've only just started listening to Exploring LOTR, so pardon the flashback. I've often wondered whether the Hobbit practice of giving gifts to other people on their own birthdays was so unusual as we usually think it. What stood out to me in the first episode was the mention that some Hobbits (the "sundry") who arrived at the party went around a second time to get a second gift. Now here, when I think of Hobbit gifts, I always think of the tagged gifts that are given out the day after the party; but if hobbits are able to snag a "second gift", then clearly these gifts are the same for everybody. In short, they're really more like party favors or "goodie bags", which are in fact very common at American children's birthday parties (in my experience).

So maybe we're more Hobbitish than we suspect?

I wonder how old the tradition of "birthday party goodie bags" is; it feels modern to me.

Not sure about the full history, but it certainly hasn't been unheard of in Western society for the birthday person to give gifts to their guests. My sisters even had an old children's book all about a little girl who gave presents to others on her birthday. And good point about the party-favors and goodie bags, as those are still quite common. Even outside the party, the birthday kid usually brings some treat to school for his or her classmates. But it is, perhaps, a tradition that should be more strongly encouraged than it generally is! It is fine to receive graciously, but it is better to give generously out of the love of one's own heart.

This tradition of giving gifts to one's guests also happens at weddings, at least American ones. It's conventional for the bride & groom to leave small favors or mementos at the tables that the guests can take home. I think this goes back quite a way. IIRC, it shows up in the hospitality customs of the ancient Greeks.

It also shows up elsewhere in Middle Earth. Remember, Galadriel is going to give gifts the the Fellowship upon their parting. She even remarks that she would not have it said that the Lady of the Golden Wood was ungenerous to a dwarf who was a guest in her realm. Obviously, this kind of gift-giving carries a great deal of social weight.

Gift-giving was quite important in Early Medieval Society. Books have been written about it. (https://www.amazon.com/Languages-Gift-Early-Middle-Ages/dp/1107698782) . Also gift-giving is important in Beowulf (https://prezi.com/budxz4xcyb1b/beowulf-the-role-of-gold-and-gift-giving/).

It has much to do with strengthening social bonds, and showing status. Before we had currency in Scandinavia, we used weight of precious metals as payment. To ensure that it was not mistaken as gift, destroyed objects were used (called hack-silver today).

I suspect Tolkien as an Anglo-Saxonist was aware of this.

Back