"Into the Storm" - Nightfall in Middle-Earth Comment

Tungol

I had some thoughts on one interpretation discussed in the Mythgard Special on Nightfall in Middle-Earth (Part 1)

The chorus of "Into the Storm" is given as:

We are following
The will of the one
Through the dark age
And into the storm
And we are following
The will of the one
Through the dark age
And into the storm
Lord I'm mean

I agree with the interpretation that the first part it's a sort of authorial comment on how "we" (the characters and the reader) are following the will of the one (Eru).

I think the last line is actually "Blood on me". I think it's Melkor admitting that he has the blood of Finwë on him (as the Silmarillion text emphasizes, the first blood spilled in the Blessed Realm).

Another thing that's consistent with this interpretation is that the lines above are sung with the whole chorus, but the last line is sung by the main singer alone (who represents either Melkor or Ungoliant, in this case Melkor).

Last edited:
*blinks*

I...did not know this was a thing that happened. I should go listen to this now :) Thanks!

Another thought on the bridge:

Where can I run
How can I hide
The Silmarils
Gems of treelight
Their life belongs to me
Oh it's sweet how the
Darkness is floating around

I agree that it's "Darkness is flowing around", not floating. I think it's actually Melkor approving of the Darkness created by the destruction of the Trees. I wasn't under the impression that this Darkness was the sole product of Ungoliant. It seems to be created by both their actions, and it helps Melkor in his escape, so I'm not surprised that he praises it.

Edit: you can hear the "Blood on me" line a bit more clearly in this live performance on YouTube.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! Matthias and I were just listening to it, and we completely agree with you. "Blood on me" makes about 1000x more sense, and that live recording did clarify a lot. We'll mention it in the next episode, which we're prepping for now.

I've noticed in both episodes that Twitch has muted swathes of sound which I must assume from the posted notice is to remove the tracks that Matthias and Corey were playing.

Unfortunately their scatter-gun approach has also smithereened the dialogue.

I don't imagine it's possible to stop Twitch muting the music, but is there a version without it that could be uploaded somewhere else? …or would YouTube do the same thing?

YouTube tends to do a better job with copyrighted content, but it can still put constraints on the video. However, it all depends on the relationship between YouTube and the rights-holder. (I stream Rocksmith, which runs headlong into this problem as well ... I won't post the image here, but you can get an idea of how YouTube deals with copyright claims here: https://imgur.com/a/Mc5Cc)

Back