Here is a place to discuss jewelry design for this season. The most important piece is probably the Nauglamir, which is given to Finrod in Episode 12, but that is by no means the only piece of jewelry that features in the story. In the scripts, I've introduced some other jewelry, such as the swan brooch that Turgon gives to Cirdan and the necklace Edhellos takes from the messenger she kills. There's also less significant jewelry generally worn by the characters as part of their costumes. I have some ideas for jewelry design, but I'd love to know what everyone else thinks.
- What does the general style of Noldor jewelry look like? Does it differ among houses? What about the style of the Sindar of Doriath? The Falathrim? The Dwarves? The Green-elves? The Orcs? The other creatures of Angband (Sauron, Thuringwethil, Gothmog, etc.)?
- How will these styles blend when the different groups encounter each other? Will the jewelry of the Noldor begin to take on some qualities of the jewelry of the Sindar and vice versa? Will Elven and Dwarven styles influence each other?
- Will there be a noticeable difference in quality between the jewelry the Noldor made in Valinor and that which they make in Middle-earth? Are there materials they no longer have access to that become precious once they are in Middle-earth? Are there materials that are abundant in Middle-earth but rare in Valinor?
- How common is jewelry among the lower classes? Does every soldier and farmer have some jewelry, or is it rare outside of the ruling classes? If they do not have fine jewelry, do Elves prefer to wear lower-quality jewelry or go unadorned?
- Are there any recurring symbols or patterns that have specific meanings? Will families and other groups tend to wear similar jewelry, or will individuals largely have their own styles?
- Who wears crowns? What do they look like? How decorative are they vs. being practical helms?
- In general, how practical is the jewelry? Do Elves wear their jewelry while hunting and doing other daily tasks, or do they save it for special occasions?
- There are a few weddings this season, so what do the engagement and wedding rings look like? Are they simple bands, or do they have jewels set in them?
- Is there any system of military decoration among the Elves and Dwarves?
- How will jewelry styles have developed by the time of the frame story? Will there be echoes of Doriath-style jewelry in what Thranduil and his folk wear? Will there be a distinctive Dwarven style still seen in what the Dwarves of Erebor wear?