Parallels in "Return of the Shadow"

NotACat

(I know this is related to a totally different course, but I can't think of a better place to post this. If there is a better place, could someone please direct me towards it? It would be nice if we had fora for all of the public courses :cool: but I can understand if the extra work makes it less attractive to those who would actually have to do it :oops: )

The Professor was on Slide 16 of "Return of the Shadow", titled "The Necromancer in His Place", which talked about Rivendell and the Shire becoming "besieged islands" in a sea of darkness, and he drew a parallel between Bingo (the character who eventually morphed into Frodo) and Turgon, in that Gondolin had also been a "besieged island" in its own era.

It struck me that actually a better parallel might be between Bingo/Frodo and Finrod Felagund. The latter left his kingdom, which was in a reasonable state at the time, because he was needed on a quest which ultimately led to his doom (OK, so Frodo did make it back but only for a while). While he was away his kingdom was usurped and fell apart at the seams. So I'm also drawing a minor parallel between Lotho Sackville-Baggins and the Sons of Fëanor, which I bet isn't something that happens every day :eek:

Any thoughts on my gradual slide into insanity? :p

Back