Post-Arthadan Eriador?

Haerangil

I started to rewatch some of Coreys streams, what i always realized was that he seems to judge the age of structures always far older than i would normally do.

I get the idea that, "Oh those were elves, dwarves or numenoreans,,they had techniques that just magically made their structures last far longer than our historic human structures usually would, and which also protect them from overgrowth"

But Corey generally seems to assume that a lot of structures are second age, or arnorian...
while in many cases that MIGHT be the case... i wonder if there might be a period we're generally overlooking or ignoring...

AFTER the fall of Angmar and Arthedain, should not there have been a period of unknown length in which the remains of Arthedain just... degenerated? I mean, was really all the populance just wiped out and bree and the shire and the rangers and three villages of Men in the trollshaws were all there was left? Or may there have been a far longer period of small, tribal communities, or even sucessor-communities to the Dunadan realms, which still built in stone for an unknown period of time? Could many of the, strangely well preserved supposed dunadan ruins, actually be of a much younger age, built or rebuilt by later inhabitants who maybe just restored or resettled some older places for some period of time, befor moving to other places or degenerating into the nomadic, semi-nomadic brigand culture we meet in most places outside breeland?

Does the quote that breeland was the only settled region outside the shire mean there were no other towns or villages and all men were sort of nomads?Or does settled here just mean "relatively safe" and the real reason we do not see them in the books was, well that strider and the fellowship had serious interest to stay away from exactly these unsettled settlements?

Back