Pronunciation clarification

In a recent discussion from Chapter 2, we came to the name Sméagol and you gave an explanation for pronunciation that didn't sit right with me. Indeed, it seems a name like Thráin that you seem unsure of pronunciation from one moment to the next. You seemed to settle generally on SMAY-ah-gol, and I suggest it's wrong. I know that's what Shippey thinks, but it is one of the few areas I think he can be faulted. In numerous recordings of the Lord of the Rings material, J.R.R. Tolkien himself clearly reads "SMEE-gol". Even when in other words he reads separate vowels (such as "cruel" as in "nassty cruel steel", you can hear both vowels). I believe the general understanding of the accent as it applies in this name to be in error. Indeed, were we to be slavish to the entire pronunciation guide for all nomenclature, "Gollum" should be pronounced "Gole-loom", which it clearly isn't. I haven't opened the HOME volumes on this stuff in years (though enjoying the Mythgard Academy discussion!); was it always spelled "Sméagol" and with the accent in the drafts? It seems pretty demosntrably clear that Tolkien intends it be read as "SMEE-gol", somewhat like "seagull", but with a longer E.

Related question, though feel free to hold off until it comes up in a relevant passage, are we sure of the pronunciation of "Redhorn Gate"? That is, can we be confident in it as an English rendering Red Horn, or should we read it "rethorn" with a voiced th?

Related question, though feel free to hold off until it comes up in a relevant passage, are we sure of the pronunciation of "Redhorn Gate"? That is, can we be confident in it as an English rendering Red Horn, or should we read it "rethorn" with a voiced th?

That's an easy enough chestnut: since "red horn" is a literal translation of "Caradhras" from Sindarin to English, you pronounce it how it looks in English because it is English :cool:

Back