Rivendell

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
As was mentioned elsewhere, I would like the location of Rivendell to be (at the very least) strongly inspired by the Lauterbrunnen Valley in Switzerland.

265px-1_lauterbrunnen_valley_2012.jpg

Not in small part because there is some evidence that this location is what Tolkien had in mind for his inspiration for Rivendell in the Hobbit: http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/Rivimages/realriv.html

But it occurs to me that we will need some rather detailed set work (beyond just a location like this) for all of the Frame Narrative scenes in Season 1.

At the very least, we will need:

Elrond's Library
Hall of Fire (setting for telling about the Lamps)
Gates of Rivendell
Gilraen's house
A hot spring garden (setting for telling the Construction of Almaren)
A practice yard (for Estel to learn swordsmanship)

...and that's just up through Episode 5.

So....thoughts? What will Rivendell look like, and how much will it mirror the constructions we'll see from the very early history of the Valar?

Last edited:
I am picturing Gilraen and Estel's home to be a guest-house cottage, not attached to the main building/house of Rivendell. The idea would be that it would be older than 10 years old, built by the elves, and meant for 'temporary' use....but when Elrond took in Gilraen and young Estel, he offered this space to them as a more permanent home. It could look like a picturesque English cottage in the Cotswolds (minus the distinctive yellow stone).

There may be other guest cottages in Rivendell that are empty, or have other 'outside' guests staying in them.

I realize that there is no indication that the hobbits ever stayed in such a place when visiting Rivendell - they seem to have all been given rooms in the main building. So....thoughts? Do we want Gilraen and Aragorn to be living in a kind of suite/apartment in the main building?

I think that we should see different styles of architecture. Cottages, halls, terraces, hidden defence structures....
I don't really want to admit it, but my picture of Rivendell has been really influenced by Jackson's movies.

Well, in many ways, Jackson's films did an awesome job depicting Rivendell - that was a beautiful set. The indoor/outdoor spaces were quite nice, as well.

There are some...negatives...from my point of view. Everything was stone - very little woodwork. I would have liked to have seen a bit more wood, though I recognize for a timeless elven environment, stone might seem more appropriate. Just...Rivendell should seem a bit warmer and cozier than that.

Also - statuary representing the elvish form - knock it all down. Waaaaaay too much of that! Elves are into art nouveau - everything should be twining vines and leaves and representations of nature, not an obsession with elf-statuary. Elves have other ways of remembering absent people and don't need commemorative statues. Or artistic statues. Or random statuary at all, really. (The pieta holding the shards of Narsil was clever (if still unnecessary IMO), but the random woman in the *bedframe* when Frodo wakes up was a bit much!)

And a minor quibble - the hobbit-sized bannister bothered me; Rivendell is built for elves.

Other than that, though, I think it was very well done.

Last edited:
Cotswold cottages:

011002_6efb0f9d.jpg

1280px-Greenfield_Village_July_2013_4_%28Cotswold_Cottage%29.jpg

8079bbc5847d3207a8fb489ad2c7292b.jpg

Favim.com-8624.jpg

I'm not saying that Estel has to grow up in a Thomas Kincaid painting, but just suggesting some kind of cottage apart from the main house for Gilraen to have made her own - the flowers growing in the yard can be a 'human' garden, rather than an elvish one (whatever that means). And I figured the English countryside was the place to start.

Three representations of Rivendell (interior):

Jackson:
gandalf-frodo_rivendell.jpg

Phenix:
awakening.jpg

Eissmann:
eiszmann33.jpg

I have to admit that despite Anke Eissmann being one of my favorite Tolkien artists, Phenix's is more my thought on what Rivendell is like. But Jackson's version is *gorgeous,* despite its issues.

Hall of Fire in art:

Anke Eissmann:
poster_hall_of_fire_original.jpg

LOTRO:
in_the_hall_of_fire_by_lotrolaurelin-d7cu3bt.jpg

Hollingshead:

Hall-of-Fire-FB.jpg

To me, the trick is to strike the balance between cozy and massive with this one. The Hall of Fire should be a space where a small group can gather without feeling lost in a giant hall. But at the same time, it shouldn't be so small that a larger group would be unable to gather there. Also, the fireplace should be sized/designed properly to heat the entire hall - so a massive hall with a little fire would be a disappointment.

Last edited:
Great! I agree with everything.
Also - statuary representing the elvish form - knock it all down. Waaaaaay too much of that! Elves are into art nouveau - everything should be twining vines and leaves and representations of nature, not an obsession with elf-statuary. Elves have other ways of remembering absent people and don't need commemorative statues. Or artistic statues. Or random statuary at all, really.
Totally agree!

I did not mean to imply that elves don't have sculptors - Nerdanel was a sculptor, for instance. It was just something that struck me about the elvish designs in the films being a bit....off. Clanging cymbal elf statue at the Council of Elrond kinda sticks out a bit.... The very open Gothic architecture, on the other hand....seemed much more appropriate (even if not my personal vision).

Last edited:
I agree on the potential for Art Nouveau...particularly using predominantly wood materials of many species and finishes. (The German version, jugendstil, seems particularly fitting (subtracting a great deal of the statuary and feminine art and focusing more on the forms)).

I think a guest house of some sort for Gilraen makes a lot of sense, given what little we know of her as a character, I don't see her as the guest room type (for a protracted stay).

For the hall of fire, I've always thought it would reflect a sort of Anglo-Saxon hall with the fire pit in the center...but in a more refined and elegant overall form.

This might look a bit austere for Rivendell, but the bones are good. I think basic architecture is good here, but change around the details to look a bit more nature inspired.

Hampton_Court_Palace,_Great_Hall_-_Diliff.jpg

Since this is going to matter for subsequent seasons, I feel like I can still post here constructively.

The Hall of Fire should definitely be cozy and roomy at the same time. Pillars and an awesome fireplace can help. Excellent cushioned chairs and benches.

No to statues everywhere. Yes to military defensiveness. Recall that Rivendell survived purely on military defenses for the 1700 Dark Years, before Elrond gained the Blue Ring.

I agree that Gilraen is given her own home aside from Elrond's house, but not a thatched cottage. Something more substantial and probably already ancient. She would want to have a place of her own where she can take a break from all the ... Elvishness.

The architecture would be based on Lindon, which has architecture inspired mostly by Gondolin, Brithombar, Eglarest, Doriath, Nargothrond. The first 3 were in turn made by Noldor and based on Tirion's architectural style. I like nature-inspired woodwork, but I do think the Noldor would build much of it out of stone. From Tolkien's painting we know the roofs are pointed instead of domes, and no towers. At least one ceiling should have stars painted on it.

In the Lotro threat i had posted some pictures of housesvand lauterbrunnen...

I had estimated that the last homely house could well have had 80-100 rooms and been home to 50-130 elves while the population of the entire valley could have been as many as 2300 people.

Riven1.png

Attachments

• Riven2.jpg
    Riven2.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Riven3.jpg
    Riven3.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Riven4.jpg
    Riven4.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Riven5.jpg
    Riven5.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1
I think one could look a lot on late 1800s/early 1900s scandinavian art nouveau/jugend and arts and crafts style.
a lot of earthly colours and warm pigments are a good thing, with painted and naked wood are a good thing too. Looking at Tolkiens flowers are a great inspiration for the patterns and paintings you might see on the walls. Because remember, it's the last HOMELY house, even for hobbits. That's how i see it at least, Weta did a great job, but it always felt too cold for me.
1569399528677.png1569399939856.png

Too bad! In the old forum i had posted some drawings of furniture based on jrrt's sketches and pictures...

Back