Script Discussion - S07E01!

When they are given new clothes to replace the outfits they arrived in (maybe worse the wear from battle and eagle transport), someone remarks that Huor (the youngest) appears to be an elf of 36 years, which he finds hilarious (a la Pippin and Beregond).

How old looks a 35 year old elf?

What we know of elven patterns of growth is that they mature through early childhood similarly to humans, so, say, the first 7 years are mostly the same (with some variation in developmental milestones). But then elves slow down, remaining in childhood longer, and not growing to maturity until they are nearly 50.

So, they can't say an elf of 50, because that's full-grown, and presumably elves much older than 50 look more-or-less the same with the very difficult to notice elven aging effects.

Perhaps 35-36 translates to a teenager?

So, in the Episode 1 script, the language of the humans (particularly the Haladin) comes up in contrast to the Sindarin that the Elves are speaking with them.

We could probably come up with a few phrases in this language, if we tried, but we would have to be willing to be rather...flexible with what Tolkien has given us. The easiest place to start is probably with Adûnaic, and then focus on the root words Tolkien had (ie, primitive Adûnaic), which would be roughly equivalent to the language of the House of Hador. For the House of Haleth, we have very, very little information on their language. Obviously, it's different from the House of Bëor and the House of Hador, but....aside from saying that "obel" means "town," and "hal-" likely means "leader," it's not like we know a lot about it.

According to the Eldamo website, these 30 words are all "Edainic":

1713724451238.png

So, 30 words, and 10% of them mean "wisdom" :p Not a super promising beginning....

And here's the primitive Adûnaic root words:

1713724721980.png

...and the wordlist

1713724797944.png

Whether "Taliska" is meant to be the language of the House of Bëor or the House of Haleth seems somewhat unclear to me. As in, at one point in the history, they were one people, so it was one and the same language, but as time went on, the Haladin became more and more distinctive as their own group, and thus had their own language. But, should the Taliska grammar be published at any point, I would be happy to let Silm Film use that for any 1st Age Mannish languages we might need!

In the meantime....I guess we have the Dunlending word "Forgoil" for "Strawheads", so Handir could call Glorfindel "forgo" if we wanted him to, maybe? Not exactly a lot to go on, here.

So for now, what we have to work with is basically Adûnaic. Here's the Ardalambion article on it as a starting point:

Perhaps 35-36 translates to a teenager?
I would assume so, but we agreed the young men should not look like teenagers. So I have my doubt here. Maybe 60 years would be better? As elves are fully grown with 100. So if 50 elf years = 18 human years, maybe 60-70 elf years would be = around 20 human years?

man vs elf (rounded) {possible approximation - if "fully grown" means not only height but also stature]
7 --------- 7
8 -------- 11
9 -------- 15
10 ------ 19
11 ------ 23
12 ------ 27
13 ------ 30
14 ------ 34
15 ------ 38
16 ------ 42
17 ------ 46
18 ------ 50
19 ------ 54
20 ------ 58
21 ------ 62
22 ------ 66
23 ------ 70
24 ------ 73
25 ------ 77
26 ------ 81
27 ------ 85
28 ------ 89
29 ------ 93
30 ------ 97
31 ----- 101

Last edited:
Here are their ages in this episode:

Húrin (21), Huor (18), and Handir (19) are involved in a skirmish near Brethil. They are taken by eagles to Gondolin.​
Húrin (25) and Huor (22) are reunited with Galdor (52), who thought them dead. Handir (23) returns to Brethil.​

So, Huor is 18 for the entire first half of the episode, if that helps.

So, in the Episode 1 script, the language of the humans (particularly the Haladin) comes up in contrast to the Sindarin that the Elves are speaking with them.

We could probably come up with a few phrases in this language, if we tried, but we would have to be willing to be rather...flexible with what Tolkien has given us. The easiest place to start is probably with Adûnaic, and then focus on the root words Tolkien had (ie, primitive Adûnaic), which would be roughly equivalent to the language of the House of Hador. For the House of Haleth, we have very, very little information on their language. Obviously, it's different from the House of Bëor and the House of Hador, but....aside from saying that "obel" means "town," and "hal-" likely means "leader," it's not like we know a lot about it.

View attachment 5329

So, 30 words, and 10% of them mean "wisdom" :p Not a super promising beginning....

View attachment 5330

...and the wordlist

View attachment 5331

Whether "Taliska" is meant to be the language of the House of Bëor or the House of Haleth seems somewhat unclear to me. As in, at one point in the history, they were one people, so it was one and the same language, but as time went on, the Haladin became more and more distinctive as their own group, and thus had their own language. But, should the Taliska grammar be published at any point, I would be happy to let Silm Film use that for any 1st Age Mannish languages we might need!

In the meantime....I guess we have the Dunlending word "Forgoil" for "Strawheads", so Handir could call Glorfindel "forgo" if we wanted him to, maybe? Not exactly a lot to go on, here.

So for now, what we have to work with is basically Adûnaic. Here's the Ardalambion article on it as a starting point:
With a little of this, I wonder if we can reconstruct back some sound changes from Primitive Adunaic and maybe get something closer. It's not exactly clear but, for instance, manaw and *manawī eventually become manô and manôi. So maybe Avalôi (the Valar) comes from *Avalawī. We don't have a lot of particular sound changes to go off of, but it's a starting point.

Here are their ages in this episode:

Húrin (21), Huor (18), and Handir (19) are involved in a skirmish near Brethil. They are taken by eagles to Gondolin.​
Húrin (25) and Huor (22) are reunited with Galdor (52), who thought them dead. Handir (23) returns to Brethil.​

So, Huor is 18 for the entire first half of the episode, if that helps.
so this would correspond to 50 = "of marriageable age" in elves. So if they claim him to look about 50 he for sure would find this hilarious.

Last edited:

Oh, I very much enjoyed this! Handir is very sympathetically written, especially with the favour from Beldis that he clings on to. I can imagine your Pengolodh being very like Tolkien ;-)

And lots of very nice foreshadowing, for instance "Húrin has fallen over as he killed the last orc. The orc falls on top of him." (!!!)

Oh, I very much enjoyed this! Handir is very sympathetically written, especially with the favour from Beldis that he clings on to. I can imagine your Pengolodh being very like Tolkien ;-)

And lots of very nice foreshadowing, for instance "Húrin has fallen over as he killed the last orc. The orc falls on top of him." (!!!)
Thanks David. I’m glad you noticed the orc! Handir was a character I wasn’t expecting to like as much as I did in the end. I feel he could be the ‘minor character’ in a series that is unexpectedly popular with viewers. We need to give him a heroic story and death at the Nirnaeth

I played around with a scene where the ages of the humans came up (a la Pippin/Beregond) but couldn’t find a way for it to come out naturally. I didn’t have the space to have the scene where the humans get Elven clothing on screen. The humans look like young adults to the Elves, as they do to us. The only difference is in the number of years it takes for them to mature. That would have to come up some how relevantly in the conversation. I’m not sure that the Elves really pay attention to actual ages as humans do, but more to changes in physical body going from childhood to maturity (at least that’s how I imagine it). Tolkien was working out the Elf/Human maturity correspondences for story purposes.

I alluded to the misapprehension of human lifespans when Húrin tells Turgon he has no memories of their trek west into Beleriand, and that he has only seen Fingon from afar. Hopefully that conveys some of the differences.

Thanks David. I’m glad you noticed the orc! Handir was a character I wasn’t expecting to like as much as I did in the end. I feel he could be the ‘minor character’ in a series that is unexpectedly popular with viewers. We need to give him a heroic story and death at the Nirnaeth
I thought Handir stays alive until the Fall of Nargothrond.

View attachment 5329

View attachment 5330

...and the wordlist

View attachment 5331

Thanks for following this up. I was expecting the ‘Official Linguist‘ to invent the phrases that I put on screen. There are two: One from Handir in the tongue of the Halandin (not proto-Adunaic) that needs to be insulting (but doesn’t have to be overboard offensive). The other is a phrase that Huor teaches Pengolodh in the language that will become Adunaic. This could be a greeting or something complimentary.

It’s frustrating that we get third person (he/she) but not first or second person (I/you) - and of course almost no grammar to put these words together!

Using the list above we could do something like “The stars shine in the heavens” but this doesn’t showcase the phonology that is different from Sindarin. Also I want whatever Huor to say have consonant sounds that are not in Sindarin (like palatal fricative ‘zh‘ that we see in the root for ‘hand’, and velar fricative ‘kh’ in the root for ‘come’). I’m imagining that there would be ‘sh’ and ‘gh’ as well as these are the voice(less) counterparts to zh and kh.

So happy to take suggestions!

If that’s so he can just be heroic in the Nirnaeth then - we can save the death for the next season.
Is there any particular reason why we want to kill Handir off early? I don't see any point in changing things like that just to add to the casualties at the Nirnaeth or this season in general.

No
Is there any particular reason why we want to kill Handir off early? I don't see any point in changing things like that just to add to the casualties at the Nirnaeth or this season in general.
No particular reason. I’m travelling now without access to the text to check up on this.

No

No particular reason. I’m travelling now without access to the text to check up on this.
Well, was it not so as to make Brandir the Lame an "old leader" from his very own childhood on and not having him having been one only one for a mere one year before he meets Turin? Originally Handir died 495 and Brandir became his father's successor aged 30, Turin arriving in Brethil a year later.

View attachment 5329

View attachment 5330

...and the wordlist

View attachment 5331

I think the Hadorians spoke Old Magol, not Taliska, though i could be wrong.
One could try to create neo-halethian by putting the Halethian names in a generator with old gondorian names, most likely they were of the same family.

-primitive kwendian

Adorn
Agaldor
Galdor
Forgoil
Freca
Wulf

Agar
Arnach
Bel
Benish Armon
Dur-nor-Belgod
Eilenach
Eilenaer
Erech
Erelas
Gorbelgod
Ishmalog
Lamedon
Min Rimmon
Rishmalog
Ri-ish-malog
Udul
Argan
Bulda
Buldar
Forlong
Hazad
Mogru
Tarlang
Go-hilleg
Tal-elmar

Bar
Bor
Dar
eth
Hal
Hal(a)
Halad
haladin
Halbar
Haldad
Hareth
Har
-in
nothlir
Obel
Tûr
Agathor
Arachon
Avranc
Barach
Beldis
Darlas
Darlos
Daruin
Dorlas
Ebor
Enthor
Faranc
Farang
Forhend
Galhir
Haldan
Haldar
Haldir
Haleth
Harathor
Hardan
Hardang
Hundad
Hundar
Hundor
Hunleth
Hunthor
Iarnach
Larnach
Manthor
Meleth
Sagroth
Taranc
Tarang
Brandir
Dairuin
Glirhuin
Haldir
Halmir
Handir
Hathol
Hiril
Hundor
Huor
Hurin
Túrin

I know some of the names are in other sources considered Sindarin. One possibly could add primitive quendian too.

With a little of this, I wonder if we can reconstruct back some sound changes from Primitive Adunaic and maybe get something closer. It's not exactly clear but, for instance, manaw and *manawī eventually become manô and manôi. So maybe Avalôi (the Valar) comes from *Avalawī. We don't have a lot of particular sound changes to go off of, but it's a starting point.
I really wouldn't use Adunaic. It comes from Hadorian and is considered alien to the native dialects of Enedhwaith or Gondor which were Halethian. I also wouldn't use the word Forgo. It is six tjousand years older than the Haladin!

Thanks for following this up. I was expecting the ‘Official Linguist‘ to invent the phrases that I put on screen. There are two: One from Handir in the tongue of the Halandin (not proto-Adunaic) that needs to be insulting (but doesn’t have to be overboard offensive). The other is a phrase that Huor teaches Pengolodh in the language that will become Adunaic. This could be a greeting or something complimentary.

It’s frustrating that we get third person (he/she) but not first or second person (I/you) - and of course almost no grammar to put these words together!

Using the list above we could do something like “The stars shine in the heavens” but this doesn’t showcase the phonology that is different from Sindarin. Also I want whatever Huor to say have consonant sounds that are not in Sindarin (like palatal fricative ‘zh‘ that we see in the root for ‘hand’, and velar fricative ‘kh’ in the root for ‘come’). I’m imagining that there would be ‘sh’ and ‘gh’ as well as these are the voice(less) counterparts to zh and kh.

So happy to take suggestions!
Can you give me the sentences you want translated? I could play around with them a bit, i think Halethian would be a mix between celtic and semitic.

Back