Session 7-12: Casting Criteria

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 7-12 will be held on Thursday April 11th at 10 PM Eastern Time. We will be discussing the Casting Criteria for our new characters. So, some things to consider:

Which characters will we need to cast in Season 7?

For characters on our list, what age range are we looking for in our casting? What abilities should these actors have (singing, fight choreography, dancing, etc)? What will be the key characteristics that make this character stand out?

Introducing....the Easterlings! The Kingdom of Bree will feature in Season 7. We've discussed the Edain in the past. How would we like the Easterlings of these season to appear?

Welcome, Cyclops!

You are welcome to suggest actors in the Casting forum here:

You are correct that this podcast will be focused on casting criteria (age, looks, height, abilities, personality, etc) , not on suggesting actors to be cast.

The notes for session three of season seven state, “A smaller separate group will yield both the people of Bór and the later Rohirrim.” Are the people of Bór related to the ancestors of the Rohirrim? I am unsure where Tolkien may have mentioned this?

In a footnote to The Northmen and the Wainriders from Unfinished Tales, Tolkien wrote, “The Northmen appear to have been most nearly akin to the third and greatest of the peoples of the Elf-friends, ruled by the House of Hador.” The ancestral relation of the Northmen and the Dúnedain was a reason for their friendship.

Characters we might need to cast this season?

House of Hador
Húrin
Huor

House of Bëor
Morwen
Rían

House of Haleth
Handir

Easterlings
Bór
Ulfang
Uldor

Dwarves
Azaghâl (the Younger)?
2 Everyman Dwarves of Belegost

Elves
Gwindor

Any other suggestions? We don't need to come up with casting criteria for anyone who only appears in one episode, and the list of characters who have already been cast in Silm Film can be found here:

As you'll note, we've already cast Azaghâl...who is meant to be Azaghâl the Deathless. But since we've decided on a 'new young king Azaghâl' storyline, might we want to recast another actor? It's worth discussing, anyway.

Finduilas? We've been putting her off for a few seasons at this point. Also Galdor, who's been around for a couple seasons and is around for a couple episodes here.

I'm not sure about being too specific here, but Gwindor's actor should be able to pull off both looking appropriately Elven, as well as totally wrecked.

Finduilas? We've been putting her off for a few seasons at this point. Also Galdor, who's been around for a couple seasons and is around for a couple episodes here.

Yes, I think it is time for Finduilas, though I'd like to still hold off on Gil-galad until we have a bit more story for him.

Galdor-the-elf has already been cast. He may make a background appearance this season. But of course you mean Galdor, father of Húrin and Huor. If we're going to cast him, it should be now, as he'll die early on in this season. He'll appear in two episodes in this season, as well as the final two episodes of Season 5, and as a background character at the double wedding - so he certainly qualifies for casting.

Yes, I think it is time for Finduilas, though I'd like to still hold off on Gil-galad until we have a bit more story for him.

Galdor-the-elf has already been cast. He may make a background appearance this season. But of course you mean Galdor, father of Húrin and Huor. If we're going to cast him, it should be now, as he'll die early on in this season. He'll appear in two episodes in this season, as well as the final two episodes of Season 5, and as a background character at the double wedding - so he certainly qualifies for casting.
Yes, I do mean Galdor father of Húrin and Huor. Started a thread for him a couple days ago.

If the Frame is centering around the White Council debating the rings, the primary character that hasn't been cast yet is Saruman. We have his Ainur self Curumo but not as an Istari.

The notes for session three of season seven state, “A smaller separate group will yield both the people of Bór and the later Rohirrim.” Are the people of Bór related to the ancestors of the Rohirrim? I am unsure where Tolkien may have mentioned this?

In a footnote to The Northmen and the Wainriders from Unfinished Tales, Tolkien wrote, “The Northmen appear to have been most nearly akin to the third and greatest of the peoples of the Elf-friends, ruled by the House of Hador.” The ancestral relation of the Northmen and the Dúnedain was a reason for their friendship.
Strange indeed. I thought Bor and Uldor are related to the tribes of the Inlandsea of Rhun and the Lossoth! It was the Hadorians who were akin to the northmen.

How about Pengolodh? He appears in Ep1 and will no doubt be in the future Gondolin seasons.
Do we want to cast Haldir (father of Handir)? Probably not necessary.

Sador Labadal?

I know he's not huge in the story of Hurin, but he is ever present in Turin's childhood, so would seem to be a fairly present part of Hurin's life.

Unless the "childhood of Turin" stuff is being saved for a flashback at the beginning of next season?

@Nicholas Palazzo the question came up in the todays's/yesterday's stream's chat:

the descendants of Sintashta people living nowadays are:

Tajiks, particularly the various Pamir Tajiks and the Yaghnobi.

Central Asians, probably (Kazakhs, Pamiri Tajiks, Yaghnobi Tajiks, then generally Central Asians, Pashtuns, etc.). This would be mostly via the Scythians, Sogdians, and other Iranian Central Asian groups.

Most of those groups have some actors. There probably even plenty people of such descent in the US.

1712911080729.png
[BTW this boy above has really accidentally a traits combo that make him resemble how scientists do imagine some ancient West-Asian and ancient European populations to have looked like]

still great riders:

one actor and singer would of this heritage be Daler Nazarov

Otherwise I would go with actors of North-Iranian, Central Asian, South Central Russian and North Indian heritage.

BTW: Neither Slavs nor Balts were or are especially horse-centered - our origin were in far more wooded areas.
[Slavs and Balts I would leave for the Woodmen of Mirkwood at the end of the Third Age - if you really need some]

(And both Slavs or Balts are are far to much depigmented to depict such an ancient population,
this level of depigmentation as both modern Balts and Slavs show, was:

1. still very rare

and

2. limited to parts of Scandinavia

in such ancient times as those that we attempt to depict here.

(And those small depigmented populations had no horses, they were still archaic foragers back then.

Depigmentation in higher latitudes accelerate in populations with limited meat consumption and high dependency on plant food due to limited amount of vitamin D in consumed foods. Horse-herders are only under a moderate pressure to depigment, while farmers in in higher latitudes are under extreme pressure to depigment rapidly - which is what has happened in Europe and also to an extend also in parts of Asia.))

Last edited:
Back