Thranduil

Ange1e4e5

Thranduil, a Sinda and King of the Woodland Elves of Mirkwood, is another supporting character from The Hobbit that is a belligerent in the events surrounding Erebor.

JJ Feild

I’ve been trying to get him a role in SilmFilm since I joined. He looks similar to Tom Hiddleston and even a bit with Lee Pace, who played Thranduil in The Hobbit.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0270625/
Height: 6’1”
Roles: Henry Tilney in Northanger Abbey (2007), Thax in Centurion, James Montgomery Falsworth in Captain America: The First Avenger, John Andre in Turn: Washington’s Spies

TheWrap+Presents+Screening+Austenland+DZj4tALzd48x.jpg

JJ-Feild-4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
With the exception of Gandalf, I don’t want to aim to reuse or even resemble actors from PH’s movies. I strongly want to avoid it.

I abhor everything PJ did to my favorite author's work. I admit abomination was a bit strong a word.

I am reminded of a time, some 25 years ago, when I was riding in a car with my friend's family. My friend was a girl of about 10-11, my age at the time. Her mother offered me a peanut butter and honey sandwich, which I rejected vehemently, saying how gross I thought the combination in no uncertain terms. When her mother offered her a sandwich, my friend turned her favorite sandwich down quietly, without saying much about it. When my mother heard about this, I heard no end of it, because I had severely hurt the feelings of my friend by disparaging something she loved. I'd say the opinions of the Jackson films that can be found on this board range from being similar to yours to a deep love. I myself am somewhere in the middle (though I generally gravitate towards your opinion on the Hobbit films). It's ok to say that you don't like something, and even to articulate why, but to state categorically that it is tripe can be taken as a criticism of the taste of an individual who likes that thing. This may not be what you meant, but it is certainly how my friend felt when I insulted her favorite lunch.

The Hosts want Thranduil to be blond, willowy, stern but weak in character, and short. I'm not quite on board with his weakness of character, since if he's weak of character, how would Legolas not be weak? They suggest that Thranduil is a coward, and I'm not on board with that either, since it's stated in the text that Thranduil was present for the entire siege, so that doesn't point to cowardice.

They've suggested Orlando Bloom play Thranduil.
Height: 5'11", he'd definitely be on the shorter side for an Elf
Roles: Legolas in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, Will Turner in Pirates of the Caribbean, Paris in Troy
legolas.jpg

Yeah I have to admit (since it's obvious if you listen to the session) that it was I who came up with that idea - which was more or less a joke, to be honest, or just brainstorming. I honestly do not believe that it is a good idea. It's risky to cast actors and actresses who were in Jackson's films, and in this case it would be hard not to think of Bloom as playing his own dad. So, please, let's not.

I don't quite agree with the Hosts' suggestions about Thranduil's character, that he's a coward and the like. Eg: if he was a coward, he wouldn't have continued with the Siege of Barad-dur and would have just fled.

So you said. I tend to agree with you, at least to a degree. I wouldn’t think of him as someone who runs away. That doesn’t mean that he is powerful, strong, cool, or anything like that. He can be a tense, stern person who is still a fighter.
Legolas can definitely be more powerful, I don’t think it has to be a trait that comes from his father.

I think there is no question that Legolas is a better elf than his father, based on how Tolkien wrote both characters.

Back