Totally off topic

This is weird - I have been listening to an audiobook of The Return of the King, and in the song it says Halbarad, the dour Ranger. I couldn't imagine why I had never noticed that - but I just went to the book, and that line isn't in it, which would explain why I never noticed it before. Is it in any other editions?

Rachel my e-book has the line "nor Halbarad to the North-lands, dour-handed Ranger"

As a listener of Exploring Lord of the Rings I wonder what the elven word was for North-lands and dour-handed. but that is for a different thread and many years in our future.

Forodwaith, but that ironically isn't where he lived.Dourhanded...maybe Dervabren or Dirmabren?

As a listener of Exploring Lord of the Rings I wonder what the elven word was for North-lands and dour-handed. but that is for a different thread and many years in our future.

This isn't Elvish - it's the Rohirrim, so it would be in their language, though they might have put it into the Common Speech as well.

Rachel it is unclear what language as it is not part of the Rohan songwriter's song, but something stated by the narrator as part of a list of Gondorians other than Halbarad who died. The list included Forlong, Duilin, Hiluin, Grimbold plus Halbarad. Thinking again of Exploring LotR this sounds very much like an insert of Findegil Kings writer.

I paste the paragraph below:
Aragorn and Éomer and Imrahil rode back towards the Gate of the City, and they were now weary beyond joy or sorrow. These three were unscathed, for such was their fortune and the skill and might of their arms, and few indeed had dared to abide them or look on their faces in the hour of their wrath. But many others were hurt or maimed or dead upon the field. The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mûmakil, leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the Northlands, dour-handed Ranger. No few had fallen, renowned or nameless, captain or soldier; for it was a great battle and the full count of it no tale has told. So long afterward a maker in Rohan said in his song of the Mounds of Mundburg:

So long afterward a maker in Rohan said in his song of the Mounds of Mundburg:

I'll have to listen again. I thought Halbarad was named in the song and that's where I looked in the book. It's still a question why it never registered before - Halbarad and Aragorn were kin and close friends, so this would affect Aragorn, and you'd think I'd have noticed that among the men of Rohan.

Rachel: It is the paragraph before the song. The way the paragraph is written see my prior post, it almost sounds like it is part of the song. It is not.

It's a beautiful paragraph. I'll have to go back. I listened to the book on YouTube in the past few days - I think it's the Andy Serkis reading, though it doesn't say. He sings all the songs. There are some things I like much better than Rob Inglis in his phrasing and inflection.

Last edited:
Well i thought Halbarad was a Dunadan from Eriador so his house would speak Westron and Sindarin, not Rohirric. About Westron i do not know enough about, Anglosaxon... perhaps heard-handede or stirn-handede.

Back