Bëor

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's time to begin looking somewhat more seriously for the actors who we will want to see playing some of the Men who will appear early on this season. We will have to be a bit careful and not rush ahead too much. For Bëor, we can start posting suggestions though. The discussions so far indicate that he should be about 65 year old to begin with, and have dark hair - more specific suggestions have been made about his looks, but I think we should keep things a bit open at this point. I think that we don't have to be too strict about the age - these early Men could definitely look a bit young for their age - well preserved and physically fit. More details on casting criteria will most certainly come up as discussions move forward, and definitely as we come close to nominations. But at this time, this is it:

Dark hair.
Ages 55-65.

Last edited:
Jared Harris
Roles: Professor Moriarty in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Albert Windsor/King George VI in The Crown
harris2.jpg

TheCrown_101_0528r.jpg

I realize that he could have his hair dyed, but I just want to note that we should primarily look for dark haired actors.

Ciaran Hinds?

Height: 6’0”
Roles: Lot in Excalibur, Jim Browner in The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes: The Cardboard Box, Aberforth Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Both parts), Grand Pabbie in Frozen, Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones

Ciaran_hinds.jpg

k0VWJZIv-600x338.jpg

Last edited:
Antonio Banderas.
IMDB
He is 60 years old. He is a really good actor, and I know he would be able to portray an ageing man in a wonderful way.

Antonio Banderas also has a beautiful singing voice that does "rough around the edges" well. (E.g., in the film "Evita," he plays the narrator as a working-class everyman figure. Just occurred to me that that could be kind of cool if we wanted to contrast Beor and Finrod's singing, like their harping.

Antonio Banderas also has a beautiful singing voice that does "rough around the edges" well. (E.g., in the film "Evita," he plays the narrator as a working-class everyman figure. Just occurred to me that that could be kind of cool if we wanted to contrast Beor and Finrod's singing, like their harping.
Yeah, nice! Strictly speaking, Banderas doesn’t meet the criteria (to be like a bear) but it could be ok to nominate him anyway, perhaps.

To be fair, no doubt one of the ways in which we could portray aging with Bëor's actor would be to give him a very 'bulky' wardrobe in the earlier scenes, to make him seem quite robust, and then, as he ages, slim down the costumes to make him appear more frail. So, a less bear-like casting could be acceptable, giving the costuming department something to work with for both the traveller in his mid-60s, and the man in his 80s who is less steady on his feet.

Back