How big are Frodo's cushions?

NotACat

Frodo is "raised upon several cushions" and scatters them when he bows to Glóin. But do we actually know how big those cushions would have been?

I imagine modern readers might think of huge cushions as big as Frodo himself, but I'm fairly sure that even in JRRT's day they weren't nearly that big and how can we guess how large Rivendell cushions might be?

If they were about a foot square and only a inch or so thick, he could indeed sit on a stack of them and be very comfortably supported in his chair.

It also depends on the filler material. Most modern pillows are stuffed with various synthetic materials for a spongy, resilient firmness. I don’t know much about medieval furniture, but I guess Frodo’s pillows are filled with soft down feathers, which would tend to compress more. Then there’s the possibility that the pillows are magical or even spiritual in nature, in which case they could have very unusual qualities indeed!

Mattresses and pillows could also be filled with straw. The main drawback with using straw, is that it quickly becomes hard, so you have to put in new straw rather regularly.

Frodo doesn't bow! Although Corey made the mistake in session 109 and you repeated it with your question, the text states:

'Welcome and well met!' said the dwarf, turning towards him. Then he actually rose from his seat and bowed. `Glóin at your service,' he said, and bowed still lower.
'Frodo Baggins at your service and your family's,' said Frodo correctly, rising in surprise and scattering his cushions. 'Am I right in guessing that you are the Glóin, one of the twelve companions of the great Thorin Oakenshield?'

So, Gloin bows and then bows lower. Frodo rises and scatters but doesn't bow. Yes, a nitpick, but as carefully and slowly that Corey is going, it bugs me for something to be messed up.

Back