Young Idril - Mckenna Grace

House of Finarfin
Finrod - Nico Evers-Swindell
Angrod - Chris Zylka
Aegnor - Scott Eastwood
Orodreth - Toby Regbo
Amarië - Maude Hirst

Comments - about particular roles/actors
Tómas Lemarquis has a very striking and unique look, and the hosts would like to see him as a villain in our project at some point.
Sure, Conan Stevens has played an orc before, but he got rather short shrift there - we'd want to give him a real role in this project!
The Hosts look forward to casting Maisie Williams in this project, but maybe as someone who is not at all like Arya Stark!
It will be fine if Halbarad has white hair by the time we reach the Battle of Pelennor Fields, as long as he's still able to play an active role there.
The concern was raised that Zoë Bell mostly does stunt work, not acting, so that she might not be as likable as we might desire as Telchar. Likewise, no one seems to be familiar with Errikos Litsis' work, so while he has a good look, there was some concern over whether or not he'd be able to carry our 'most likable dwarf' torch.
There was a lot of angst over the gravity of casting Lúthien, but the Hosts seemed happy with the choice of the vote and frankly relieved to have that out of the way. They were comforted that she is a skilled dancer, at least. There was a sense that no actual person would be lovely enough for the role.
The Hosts feel the audience will be thrilled to see a drinking goblet thrown into the face of Rob James-Collier after having watched Downton Abbey.
Denethor was the messiest choice - a perfect three-way tie, and I foolishly left the fourth choice off the poll! So, I guess we lacked a clear consensus on who we wanted him to be, but the Hosts did choose one.
Henry Cavill was suggested for the role of Túrin and also as Caranthir.
*Caranthir was not cast today* All of the nominees were vetoed on account of being too slim/scrawny. Caranthir is a brash, outspoken guy - the kind of person who goes looking for bar fights. The Hosts are picturing him more as a bruiser - someone who is physically strong/intimidating, and can take the hits he is so often asking for. They are afraid that if he does not have this physically imposing physique, he'll be a bit of a joke or laughing stock. They want him to be convincing as a rugby player, and after Maedhros, one of the best fighters amongst the Fëanoreans. So, we'll come up with new nominees and vote for him again next season. Back to the drawing board....
We will have to see if Ezra Miller will grow into his role as Celebrimbor, or if we'll need to recast him in the 2nd Age.
Angrod and Aegnor look like warriors who can take on a balrog, and Orodreth looks sufficiently deer-in-the-headlights. So, well done on those choices, everyone!
Rest assured, Eddie Redmayne is still available to be cast as Gwindor if we want to save him for that role - and Trish Lambert knows who he is.

Comments - general
When the Hosts are not familiar with the work of an actor or actress, they tend to base their decision on the photos available on that actor's imdb page. So, when there is a particular reason to cast an actor for a certain role, it is important to vocalize that during the broadcast, to give them fodder for their decision making.
Voice roles do not prevent someone from being cast (again) later on in the project, particularly if their voice work has distortion in it. (Think of Gimli and Treebeard, or the Witch-king and Gothmog, being the same actors in Peter Jackson's film)
The Hosts were very enthusiastic about the casting for the Frame. Trish thinks Kieran Bew looks a bit like Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn. Corey Olsen actually knew who Aramis Knight was, and Dave Kale had positive things to say about up-and-coming Timothée Chalamet. The voting strongly favored these candidates as well - so, good job, team, on those selections!
There was a strong desire for tall male actors to play elves, and shorter male actors to play dwarves. In reality, it's better to cast large people if you plan to scale anyone down with forced perspective, and if all of our elves are over 6' tall, they're not going to stand out as very tall :p As a for instance, Turgon and Fingon are now both 6'5", and their sister is 5'5", so she's just going to look very diminutive next to them. Maedhros the Tall and Turgon were both meant to be tall, but it's hard to stand a head above in this bunch! At least it will be easy for the elves to be taller than the Men when we get to that part of casting....

Thanks for posting this right away.

I’m less concerned about making Maedhros, Turgon, and Thingol taller than other Elves, than about faces and acting skills.

Can Brandon Routh sing well?

So the Hosts have definitely decided that Dwarf women look exactly like Human women and have no beards?

So what sort of role were they thinking of for Maisie Williams?

And... I’m back to square one for Glaurung.

Last edited:
The appearance of dwarf women was not really discussed today (outside of choosing Zoë Bell for the role), but they did discuss the appearance of dwarf women in the last session, which can be found here:

Brandon Routh singing? Not as far as I know, no. He's in one of Christina Aguillera's music videos, but not as a singer. If he really can't sing at all, they'll just have to use someone else's voice for that scene, or autotune the heck out of it. Dave Kale did mention that there are a bunch of actors on the CW superhero shows with a musical theater background, so we should likely keep that in mind for the future. I know he rattled off some names during today's broadcast, so we should probably look them up and see if we want to use any of them for roles moving forwards.

Last edited:
Well, if a woman plays Telchar then of course she'll have breasts.

Can Nico Evers-Swindell sing?

Last edited:
I'm not that much concerned about the breasts of dwarf women... maybe they just wear clothes which do not allow us to see much of their breasts. Dwarves are , like the other races, mammals after all.

I'm not that much concerned about the breasts of dwarf women... maybe they just wear clothes which do not allow us to see much of their breasts. Dwarves are , like the other races, mammals after all.

There are many fashion types worldwide which obscure, rather than accentuate the female form, and armor is nearly identical in appearance for both genders.

I’ve really tried to find a clip or anything with Nico Evers-Swindell singing. Nothing comes up. I see that he has a soundtrack credit but there’s nothing on YouTube or any streaming service, and Wikipedia has nothing about him singing. I wonder, does he actually sing on the soundtrack? I think this is a mistake.

They might be mammals, but the majority of mammals don't have big, always-swollen mammary glands visible from several feet away. The only examples I know of are humans, dairy cows, and dairy goats. We're used to them, but look at a mare, for example. Nearly all mammals have inconspicuous mammary glands that are only a little swollen while nursing, and not noticeable at any other time. A few don't even have nipples.

Personally, I'm not entirely comfortable assuming Dwarves must be biologically mammals, just because they have hair. It would be plausible, but they aren't Children of Illuvatar, and they didn't evolve from apes. Ents and Durin's Bane also have hair. All we know is that Dwarves look humanoid, have hair, and have no visible breasts.

Edit: But if the Hosts have made a Final Decision about it, I will stop talking about it.

Last edited:
They might be mammals, but the majority of mammals don't have big, always-swollen mammary glands visible from several feet away. The only examples I know of are humans, dairy cows, and dairy goats. We're used to them, but look at a mare, for example. Nearly all mammals have inconspicuous mammary glands that are only a little swollen while nursing, and not noticeable at any other time. A few don't even have nipples.

Personally, I'm not entirely comfortable assuming Dwarves must be biologically mammals, just because they have hair. It would be plausible, but they aren't Children of Illuvatar, and they didn't evolve from apes. Ents and Durin's Bane also have hair. All we know is that Dwarves look humanoid, have hair, and have no visible breasts.

Edit: But if the Hosts have made a Final Decision about it, I will stop talking about it.

I don't believe any "final decision" has been made at this point, but the hosts will likely take the casting vote as evidence that there is not an overwhelming majority of forumites who believe that male and female dwarves should be identical. They seemed willing to be convinced if that had been the case.

So...this is my friend Sasha. She wears a muscle suit when she dresses as Thorin. It's really not that big of a deal to disguise someone's silhouette when dealing with bulky costumes, and binding is a thing.

a00c219b-252b-4e57-be06-137a2070d357-200x300.jpg

tumblr_npigds4h7g1qfkknao1_400.gif

11011717_489222034576591_8618755190033270197_n.jpg

11060900_489222097909918_7620398511803394641_n.jpg

When her tumblr post with the caption "I'm starting to see why people get confused by me..." went viral, there were internet arguments about whether the beard or the boobs in these photos were fake, or whether or not it was really the same person in both pictures:
tumblr_nkg9hlZHDa1qfkknao1_500.jpg

At the end of the day, this is a costuming decision, not a casting decision.

Last edited:
So could someone please explain why the Hosts didn’t think Maisie Williams should voice Shelob? I didn’t catch their reasoning.

And who was the fourth choice for Denethor?

Last edited:
Julia Bache-Wiig won the vote, and they saw no reason to veto that.

They did mention that they looked forward to seeing Maisie Williams cast in our project at some point in the future.

The fourth choice for Denethor was Wade Briggs, who was inadvertently left off the poll.

Back