LotR TV Series

I think all that is publicly known is in the press release. Looking forward on thoughts from the Professor.

He's on record saying that Amazon adaptation discussion lives exclusively in SilmFilm these days, but we have no SilmFilm session coming up for a few weeks. So it might come up elsewhere if anything really juicy comes out.

I am everything but thrilled. So the tolkien trust and tolkien estate are involved? Can hardly even believe that... C. Tolkien is still alive and would his family violate his negative feelings about the commercial sellout that had started with the nlc film series even more by allowing this?

The pj movies are only fifteen years old, rumours have it that a prequel story to fellowship of the ring will be told in a posdible series. Even talks about spin- offs have come up.Doesn't sound too great.

On the other hand all we have yet are rumours and i've always been a sceptic. I felt negative about the pj movies too - at first - and in the end at last the first trilogy turned out to be not all that bad.could have bern better. Could also have been far worse..

I too, am in the "wait and see" camp. I am hopeful but very skeptical, especially considering Amazon's performance in series to date. I really expect that it will start out great and then sink into a smelly quagmire of 21st century social engineering and politics, introducing dominant themes completely out of place in Tolkien's world. Of course, I would be delighted to be wrong in that expectation.

I too, am in the "wait and see" camp. I am hopeful but very skeptical, especially considering Amazon's performance in series to date. I really expect that it will start out great and then sink into a smelly quagmire of 21st century social engineering and politics, introducing dominant themes completely out of place in Tolkien's world. Of course, I would be delighted to be wrong in that expectation.

"But are the orcs really all that different from the rest of us? Isn't the cause of their brutality simply their suffering under a cruel master? If we embrace them as brothers, rather than leveraging more sanctions upon them, will they not willingly be free of their oppressors and join us as a productive people?"
<cut to his lifeless, mutilated body being thrown out of an orc camp>

Yeah, I'm not familiar with any Amazon series, so I don't know how true they'll try to stay to Tolkien; but I figure if they do a good job then we have a good series to watch, and if they do a poor job then we have a good series to riff. Win/win! (Just so long as they don't do anything truly offensive, such as having an army leap over the heads of a spear-wall to interpose themselves between its spears and a charging horde!)

Back