The Outline for Season 6 Episode 4:
Silmarillion Film Project Season 6 Episode 4 Script Outline Protagonist - Beren A-Plot: Beren and Lúthien meet and fall in love B-Plot: Doriath - Daeron’s reaction C-Plot: Doriath - Thingol and Melian Frame: Teaser: Frame Act I Scene 1: Northern Doriath - Beren is dreaming about Lúthien’...
Silmarillion Film Project
Season 6 Episode 4
Protagonist - Beren
A-Plot: Beren and Lúthien meet and fall in love
B-Plot: Doriath - Daeron’s reaction
C-Plot: Doriath - Thingol and Melian
Scene 1: Northern Doriath
- Beren is dreaming about Lúthien’s singing voice. He awakens in a glade in the woods. Sun is shining through dappled leaves, birds are singing - the world is a magical place. Beren gets to his feet. He is ragged looking, but no longer exhausted/ill. He looks around in wonder, and begins to explore his surroundings. He hears pipe music. Through a gap in the trees, he sees movement. A beautiful woman is dancing among the hemlock-umbels! When he stumbles out between the trees, she runs away, vanishing instantly.
Scene 2: Menegroth
- Thingol and Melian. Gil-galad has left. Thingol is worried about the safety of all his people in the wake of events in Beleriand. Where is safe? Círdan has the havens, at least…but for how long? His plan: bring all the Sindar inside the Girdle to make them safe. His forest will be a haven of safety! Maybe the borders can be expanded… Melian (aware that the Girdle has been breached), warns him that there are forces at work beyond their control. The Girdle is what it is. The power of the king is great, but the power of Melian is set where it is set.
Scene 3: Forest
- Beren searches for the mysterious beautiful woman in Doriath. From time to time, he catches glimpses of Lúthien, but whenever he runs after her, she is not there any longer. Lúthien and Daeron observe Beren, and talk about him. Lúthien is pleased with how quickly he is healing. Daeron is concerned about the stranger in Doriath. Lúthien thinks there’s a reason that Beren is here, and wants to let this situation play out. When Beren comes closer, the two of them run away again.
Scene 4: Northern Doriath
- In early spring, Beren sees her again. Tinuviel! Tinuviel! Beren calls out to her, and she turns back to let him ‘catch’ her. She then invites him to chase after her, and they run through the woods together, playing tag.
Scene 5: Menegroth
- Thingol and Mablung play their well-established chess game. East Beleriand seems stable for now. (Well, except for the dragon…) Mablung suggests taking some of the soldiers of Doriath and help Finrod retake Tol Sirion. Thingol is resistant to the idea of sending any of his people outside the Girdle, and especially against having them fight under the command of the Noldor.
Scene 6: Forest
- Getting to know you - first real conversation between them. Lúthien asks him a question. He pauses, not speaking until she releases him from the spell. Why did you call me that? She asks how he speaks Sindarin. He tells her about his home of Dorthonion. He tries his best to impress her. They have dueling titles - the more epic his sound, the sillier hers sound. She gets him to smile.
Scene 7: Bird-hide
- Daeron and Lúthien continue their anthropological study of the mortal in Elfland. Daeron wants to discuss the subject. Lúthien wants to watch Beren…shhh. Beren is a friend to birds and beasts. He helps a critter in need, perhaps a wild pig. Daeron has questions about the long term plan. What are they doing?? She’s fascinated - he’s not what she expected a mortal to be.
Scene 8: Forest
- Lúthien brings a nice picnic to share with Beren. He is surprised that she brought a completely vegetarian meal without him saying anything. He has a ‘you too?’ moment. She draws out the part of his personality that he has usually been reluctant to share.
Scene 9: Frame
Scene 10: Neldoreth
- Lúthien teaches Beren to dance. He is…not the best student, but he tries very earnestly. They stare deeply into each other's eyes. From Beren’s viewpoint, the lights go out and Lúthien is gone. Beren is confused, but resigned to his situation.
Scene 11: Neldoreth
- Daeron finds out about Beren and Lúthien. He ‘pauses’ Beren and has a conversation with Lúthien. Lúthien is furious! Shocked, he tells Lúthien that she can’t be doing this - it needs to end now! What are you thinking?! What are you doing?! What is this!! She tells him that he doesn’t get a say in who she gives her heart to. He says he was willing to go along with this when it was just an academic situation. But now she has to get the mortal out of Doriath. Lúthien says she will take the matter to her father.
Scene 12: Menegroth
- Thingol and Melian discuss the Noldor. Thingol criticizes their folly and their pride. The Noldor have not only been guilty of the kinslaying, but they set up and lost their lands in the leaguer, leading to nothing but death.
Scene 13: Menegroth
- Lúthien brings Beren into the court and introduces him to everyone. Thingol issues the Quest. Beren boasts. Daeron is an observer.
Scene 14: Menegroth
- Lúthien and Beren discuss Beren’s sudden decision to accept a quest to Angband. Beren tells Lúthien to stay home.
Scene 15: Menegroth
- Melian makes a point of talking to Beren, the mortal who walked through her Girdle. Melian gives him some food for thought about how his choices will influence the fate of Arda.
Scene 16: Menegroth
- Melian and Thingol talk. They are not on the best of terms. ‘O King, you have devised cunning counsel…’ Melian warns him that he has tied them to the rest of Beleriand. Thingol dismisses the risk - what do you think will happen once he is outside the Girdle.