Session 3.17 - S3Ep12: Penultimate to the Season Finale

I agree Curufin should not be doing anything to actively get rid of Maedhros.

I’m liking many of Haakon’s suggestions for the parley. I’m not liking the suggestion that we show Maedhros acting honorably here.

I think part of the point, in the way Tolkien consistently wrote the parley, was that Maedhros should have acted honorably even towards Morgoth, and that what he did was wrong: he broke the agreement and broke his word, and the promise he gave the emissary was a lie. “Each purposed evil to the other” is not an endorsement of Maeshros' behavior. Both sides came to the parley with more forces than they agreed upon.

Also I think that none of the brothers are foolish enough to trust Morgoth. Because they know that obviously Morgoth intends to betray them, they don't have qualms about betraying him too. (A lot of otherwise honorable people would not go as far as Faramir in saying "I would not lie even to an orc.")
I mention it elsewhere, but LOTR should be a special time. We will literally have some of the most noble and honourable people of all time united together. Aragorn is not a typical Numenorean King, in power he may be lacking, but he is the most noble and honourable king for three thousand years. Galadriel, Elrond and Gandalf are also some of the noblest EVER characters in Tolkiens. Even when compared to all the heroes, Galadriel and Elrond stand out as being particularly noble.

There's no need and I don't believe the text suggest the same for the Noldor princes, in fact I think it implies the worse.

I agree Maedhros/Maglor should be the most honourable of the brothers, but even they are not honourable enough. An Aragorn, Elrond or even Galadriel would have either accepted the emissary with the terms given, or more wisely rejected them and asked for a more neutral meeting. They would not lie and go back on their word.

Perhaps we could have Galadriel or Finrod mention something like this. Maybe when they are going to meet the Feanorians, Galadriel or Finrod stresses that they should bring the number of men said, because otherwise would be dishonest.

more wisely rejected them and asked for a more neutral meeting
Yeah... that would be the smart thing to do here. Or the ... not-bound-by-the-Oath thing. I think I'm in complete agreement with you, although I think the Silmarillion is a special time too. :) Some Noldor, like Finrod, are very honorable.

Perhaps we could have Galadriel or Finrod mention something like this. Maybe when they are going to meet the Feanorians, Galadriel or Finrod stresses that they should bring the number of men said, because otherwise would be dishonest.
Saying it while they are planning to meet Maglor, after Fingon rescues Maedhros, would be a good time to do it, yes.

I know im late to the party, but in response to session 3-23 where some of the final season three script outlines are being reviewed, I have two thoughts.

First, in the parley and subsequent duel between Maedhros and Sauron I think we should address where Maglor is. As an acclaimed might singer himself I would think he might have the ability to contest with Sauron as Finrod does later even though his elder brother doesn’t. Even if he doesn’t get a note in, I think he would try to and we ought to explain why he doesn’t.

Also, as to the several reasons why the Valar don’t intervene against Morgoth at this point, I have to imagine that Varda is drained by the great work of hallowing and launching the sun and moon so she must need rest for a century or so in Lorien to restore herself so that would be one less member of the greater powers that is able to deliver an extinction-level event at this time. Even if it isn’t addressed in the council I think we should show the personal temporary cost to her of this great work.

Firstly, welcome!

As to the first question, you are quite correct. In the outline, it is called out specifically that Maedhros is the only one of the sons of Fëanor present at the parley.

As to the second, there are indeed plenty of reasons for the Valar to avoid an immediate invasion of Middle-Earth before having to resort to weariness. Previously, the hosts had been somewhat against showing the Valar wearying from their labors. Their discussion of the Girdle of Melian suggests they may be rethinking that though.

Maybe Maglor is sitting down somewhere, composing part of the Noldolante?

Also, does Sauron carry any weapons? Or are his powers mainly intangible, like Ebony Maw/Squidward in Avengers: Infinity War?

Sauron can carry/wield weapons, but in this particular confrontation, his singing is his primary weapon.

Maglor will likely have some guilty feelings after Maedhros' rescue - after all, if Fingon could save him, why couldn't Maglor? And so suddenly his 'do nothing because we have no choice' option becomes rather...well...it looks like he gave up prematurely. If we compound that by having Maedhros be captured in a way that maybe Maglor could have prevented, had he been there...that will just add to it. So I definitely think we should find a way to call attention to the moment when Maglor lets Maedhros go alone (or Maedhros forces the issue) for maximum future impact.

And welcome to the boards, Arnorion!

Back