Session 5-11: Aredhel and Eöl

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 5-11 will be held on Thursday August 13th at 10 PM Eastern Time.

We will be discussing the story of Aredhel and Eöl (including Gondolin), as well as any other miscellaneous elves (such as Thingol, Círdan, Galadriel and Celeborn, and Rhogrin and Annael).

After completing the discussions of the Elves, we will have a session dedicated to the differing worldviews of Men and Elves, and how best to incorporate that into Season 5. Then we will move on to discussing the Villains and the Dwarves.

Ange1e4e5

Galadriel and Celeborn: I could see them having a smaller role this season. An idea that came up in the threads awhile back was to have them on their "honeymoon" and bump into the entrance of the Haladin or House of Hador, with Celeborn's sister Galathil being the spokesperson who speaks to Finrod and calls Men their "unfriends". They'll return to Doriath before too long (if too long is 25 years-plus) with Thingol expressing displeasure at Men, in this case the Haladin. Melian will tell Galadriel that one will make their way in (we know it's Beren).

Ange1e4e5

Thingol will be difficult to write for the next couple seasons. Of all the Elven rulers, he is the most overtly against having Men around judging by his behavior around the Haladin and Beren next season, mainly because of troubled dreams he has of them (though his opinion changes by the end of Beren and Luthien). He’ll have an opportunity to shine as a commander since Boldog leads an offensive against Doriath where Thingol kills him, but he might need to look more than just an overprotective father who dislikes the man his daughter loves because of who her love interest is.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
Círdan will probably play a minor role this season. However, I think perhaps there could be a minor scene in which Finrod visits Eglarest along with Beor. We could perhaps come up with something interesting to do with such a meeting.

Ange1e4e5

Círdan will probably play a minor role this season. However, I think perhaps there could be a minor scene in which Finrod visits Eglarest along with Beor. We could perhaps come up with something interesting to do with such a meeting.
He might show at the end of the season since Orodreth sends Gil-Galad to him shortly after the Dagor Bragollach.

Alcarlótë

He might show at the end of the season since Orodreth sends Gil-Galad to him shortly after the Dagor Bragollach.
Considering the arrival of Celegorm and Curufin in Nargothrond is a Season 6 event we could introduce him at that point - when we're "on location" and can include him in a story that will happen anyway.

But this is something that shouldn't be decided on a whim but multiple months from now probably, since Gil-Galad is a character we should be developing thoughtfully. He is in a similar position to Galadriel, Elrond, Celebrimbor and Oropher(+Thranduil) - important characters in the later stories that logically had to be around in the First Age, but are insignificant in the published Quenta Silmarillion. We spend a lot more time with them in our series and therefore have to come up with a lot of story details for them...Thinking about this, I'm not even sure we know if Gil-Galad is older or younger than his sister Finduilas. Intuitively I'd be inclined to make him a little older since he's already pretty far down the family tree for his later role of High-King, but I'm also kind of tempted to have him appear (very minorly) as a young elf when Luthien (and maybe even Turin?) are in Nargothrond.

Ange1e4e5

Considering the arrival of Celegorm and Curufin in Nargothrond is a Season 6 event we could introduce him at that point - when we're "on location" and can include him in a story that will happen anyway.

But this is something that shouldn't be decided on a whim but multiple months from now probably, since Gil-Galad is a character we should be developing thoughtfully. He is in a similar position to Galadriel, Elrond, Celebrimbor and Oropher(+Thranduil) - important characters in the later stories that logically had to be around in the First Age, but are insignificant in the published Quenta Silmarillion. We spend a lot more time with them in our series and therefore have to come up with a lot of story details for them...Thinking about this, I'm not even sure we know if Gil-Galad is older or younger than his sister Finduilas. Intuitively I'd be inclined to make him a little older since he's already pretty far down the family tree for his later role of High-King, but I'm also kind of tempted to have him appear (very minorly) as a young elf when Luthien (and maybe even Turin?) are in Nargothrond.
In our adaptation he’s younger than Finduilas; Finduilas was a child late last season and Gil-Galad wasn’t born yet.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I just read the most recent post on the ‘Elves’ thread (written by Michael Dennis) and it made me think that Finrod and Círdan could have a brief discussion about the status of Men compared to Elves. Finrod could say, ‘the sons of Fëanor consider these Children of Eru inferior to us, and of lesser importance - but I believe that they are full of potential and that it is our duty to teach them about the world, as much as possible’, to which Círdan replies: ‘Well what do we know, perhaps they have a more important role to play than you and I can foresee’.

Alcarlótë

In our adaptation he’s younger than Finduilas; Finduilas was a child late last season and Gil-Galad wasn’t born yet.
Oh, thanks for the information - I still have some catching up to do with all the material that already exists, but hopefully I won't be bothering you veterans too much with the occasional lack of knowledge or question. I guess we'll have to think about when Gil-Galad is actually born in terms of what story of his we want to tell, since there's many possibilities.

If we want him to be different from the other lords of the Noldor and go for a longer character arc, we could keep him out of battles by having him be either too young to fight or be ordered to stay at home/be sent away despite being grown up. On the other hand, having him be a survivor of the Nirnaeth - or even the Bragollach if he's born early this season (although it seems like we already have enough going on without a Minas Tirith plotline) - might make for a great parallel to the later battles he's going to take part in as King. I feel like we shouldn't replicate the published Silmarillion where he's a nobody throughout the First Age despite becoming King.

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I still have some catching up to do with all the material that already exists, but hopefully I won't be bothering you veterans too much with the occasional lack of knowledge or question.
Don't worry! We really appreciate new contributors, so we will have to accept newcomers' process of taking everything in, including the presentation of ideas that contradict decisions that have been made - I mean, it's a lot of stuff, and I also find it's sometimes hard to keep track of it all myself (no, sorry, I don't keep track of everything)- and certainly questions asked.