SilmFilm Narsil

Rob Harding

Hi guys, just trying to play catch up still and trying to get to grips with what we’re doing with narsil.

I’m picking up pieces of a really interesting history with it but can’t quite put it all together.

Can anyone illuminate me as to the history it has in the series so far?

Thanks

Nicholas Palazzo

Hi guys, just trying to play catch up still and trying to get to grips with what we’re doing with narsil.

I’m picking up pieces of a really interesting history with it but can’t quite put it all together.

Can anyone illuminate me as to the history it has in the series so far?

Thanks
Narsil was made by Telchar on commission from Maedhros, who gives it to Aegnor as a sort of peace offering. It will come into the possession of Andreth after the Dagor Bragollach.

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to see the discussion that led up to that decision, and the alternative ideas proposed, feel free to check out this thread:

But as Nick pointed out, the decision was to place Narsil in the hands of Aegnor in Season 4, and it will transfer to Andreth at the end of Season 5. We had to decide in Season 4, because we needed Narsil to be forged while Telchar was still alive.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
Speaking of Narsil, and of these powerful items in general, have we been addressing the "magic" attributes of them? I have not heard anything in any podcast that clearly describes this for Narsil. I have read that someone uses Angrist to slice some steel in a scene - fantastic!
In my recent reading of LOTR I took note that Aragorn warns Hama not to touch Anduril on pain of death. This could just be taken as a threat, but I like to read it as if a person other than the rightful owner holds it, the magic will kill them. They did it in the LOTR movies by showing that Anduril was able to block the ghostly sword of the king of the oathbreakers. We need to show the magics somehow so that the audience understands that these are not just ordinary blades.

Nicholas Palazzo

Speaking of Narsil, and of these powerful items in general, have we been addressing the "magic" attributes of them? I have not heard anything in any podcast that clearly describes this for Narsil. I have read that someone uses Angrist to slice some steel in a scene - fantastic!
In my recent reading of LOTR I took note that Aragorn warns Hama not to touch Anduril on pain of death. This could just be taken as a threat, but I like to read it as if a person other than the rightful owner holds it, the magic will kill them. They did it in the LOTR movies by showing that Anduril was able to block the ghostly sword of the king of the oathbreakers. We need to show the magics somehow so that the audience understands that these are not just ordinary blades.
Narsil is, as I recall, meant in our story to be representative of resistance to domination. We have shots of its forging, where Telchar carves runes in the tang (hidden by the grip) which are the source of this spell. This has not, at this time, been paid off. I hope to find a way to pay it off to some degree before Aegnor dies, but we are not quite there yet.

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
But what does resistance to domination look like and how will the spell be manifest? I can get behind the scene at Edoras being for Anduril as part of the new spells cast with the reforging.