The Orc Problem

In my opinion the most problematic concept.

Quotes:

"But the Orcs were not of this kind. They were certainly dominated by their Master, but his dominion was by fear, and they were aware of this fear and hated him. They were indeed so corrupted that they were pitiless, and there was no cruelty or wickedness that they would not commit; but this was the corruption of independent wills, and they took pleasure in their deeds."

"They had other characteristics of the Incarnates also. They had languages of their own, and spoke among themselves in various tongues according to differences of breed that were discernible among them. They needed food and drink, and rest, though many were by training as tough as Dwarves in enduring hardship. They could be slain, and they were subject to disease; but apart from these ills they died and were not immortal, even according to the manner of the Quendi; indeed they appear to have been by nature short-lived compared with the span of Men of higher race, such as the Edain"

"through years far longer than the span of the lives of Men.*(5) Finally, there is a cogent point, though horrible to relate. It became clear in time that undoubted Men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with Orcs, producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning. There is no doubt that long afterwards, in the Third Age, Saruman rediscovered this, or learned of it in lore, and in his lust for mastery committed this, his wickedest deed: the interbreeding of Orcs and Men"

"But even before this wickedness of Morgoth was suspected the Wise in the Elder Days taught always that the Orcs were not 'made' by Melkor, and therefore were not in their origin evil. They might have become irredeemable (at least by Elves and Men), but they remained within the Law. That is, that though of necessity, being the fingers of the hand of Morgoth, they must be fought with the utmost severity, they must not be dealt with in their own terms of cruelty and treachery. Captives must not be tormented, not even to discover information for the defence of the homes of Elves and Men. If any Orcs surrendered and asked for mercy, they must be granted it, even at a cost.* This was the teaching of the Wise, though in the horror of the War it was not always heeded."

"This then, as it may appear, was my father's final view of the question: Orcs were bred from Men, and if 'the conception in mind of the Orcs may go far back into the night of Melkor's thought' it was Sauron who, during the ages of Melkor's captivity in Aman"

Last edited:
The difficulty with it all is that the Western Lands, much like the Eden of Creation, is in fact a physical realm. It isn't a realm intended to be inhabited by disembodied beings. So the modern concept of a soul separate from a physical body as being the ideal, doesn't really map. Something closer to a Hebrew 'nephesh', an individual's intended whole (perfected body and inner being) being the ultimate ideal that may go on to inhabit a perfect physical realm maps better. Later interpretations and external philosophies have helped lead to the concept of the flesh being corrupt and the soul being a perpetual and idealised 'self' that after death is a metaphysical form that goes onto inhabit a metaphysical realm - as opposed to a return to the intended perfect reality of a physical land operating at full beautiful capacity inhabited by perfected physical beings. That is to say, there is an older concept that after death (going down to the grave) the immediate results are unknown. What is believed is that ultimately the world is restored as a physical space and physically perfected beings operating in harmony with their intended purpose then inhabit it in perpetuity as was the original plan. Not dwelling immaterially in an immaterial space. Rather, two spaces exist for the rest of time and both are perfect. The world soul inhabited by the divine beings and then a second physical world inhabited by physical beings with a race of people acting as an overlap in that ven diagram, who embody both spaces. The cosmology of Middle Earth seems to follow some of this imagery.

But it depends if the concept of a separate ethereal soul exists within this world. In which case, the issue of how such a form inhabits a physical realm (as are the Western Lands) is itself problematic. If such a concept of an immaterial soul existing beyond the body is not an issue, then it's easy to imagine an orc in its perfected intended form (i.e. an elf) may be able to inhabit a perfected land after the point of death. That is, if we believe there is the possibility of redemption for a being born corrupted despite no choice given to it.

Ugh, this discussion of orcs is getting heavy

The difficulty with it all is that the Western Lands, much like the Eden of Creation, is in fact a physical realm. It isn't a realm intended to be inhabited by disembodied beings. So the modern concept of a soul separate from a physical body as being the ideal, doesn't really map. Something closer to a Hebrew 'nephesh', an individual's intended whole (perfected body and inner being) being the ultimate ideal that may go on to inhabit a perfect physical realm maps better. Later interpretations and external philosophies have helped lead to the concept of the flesh being corrupt and the soul being a perpetual and idealised 'self' that after death is a metaphysical form that goes onto inhabit a metaphysical realm - as opposed to a return to the intended perfect reality of a physical land operating at full beautiful capacity inhabited by perfected physical beings. That is to say, there is an older concept that after death (going down to the grave) the immediate results are unknown. What is believed is that ultimately the world is restored as a physical space and physically perfected beings operating in harmony with their intended purpose then inhabit it in perpetuity as was the original plan. Not dwelling immaterially in an immaterial space. Rather, two spaces exist for the rest of time and both are perfect. The world soul inhabited by the divine beings and then a second physical world inhabited by physical beings with a race of people acting as an overlap in that ven diagram, who embody both spaces. The cosmology of Middle Earth seems to follow some of this imagery.

But it depends if the concept of a separate ethereal soul exists within this world. In which case, the issue of how such a form inhabits a physical realm (as are the Western Lands) is itself problematic. If such a concept of an immaterial soul existing beyond the body is not an issue, then it's easy to imagine an orc in its perfected intended form (i.e. an elf) may be able to inhabit a perfected land after the point of death. That is, if we believe there is the possibility of redemption for a being born corrupted despite no choice given to it.

Ugh, this discussion of orcs is getting heavy
Tolkien was Catholic so the idea of a soul being better of without a body is not what he would have believed, as this would make the Resurrection senseless. A human is an union of body and soul, so to be restored at the end of times.

Sure.It's a Theodicy issue, that's what i am trying to say all the time.

"All the orders of Eru's creatures have each some special talent, which higher orders may admire. It was the special talent of the Incarnate, who lived by necessary union of hroa and fea,"

"Now the Eldar are immortal within Arda according to their right nature. But if a fea (or spirit) indwells in and coheres with a hrondo [> hroa] (or bodily form) that is not of its own choice but ordained, and is made of the flesh or substance of Arda itself,(25) then the fortune of this union must be vulnerable by the evils that do hurt to Arda, even if that union be by nature and purpose permanent. For in spite of this union, which is of such a kind that according to unmarred nature no living person incarnate may be without a fea, nor without a hrondo [> hroa], yet fea and hrondo [> hroa] are not the same things; and though the fea cannot be broken or disintegrated by any violence from without, the hrondo [> hroa] can be hurt and may be utterly destroyed"

"This destruction of the hrondo [> hroa], causing death or the unhousing of the fea, was soon experienced by the immortal Eldar, when they awoke in the marred and overshadowed realm of Arda. Indeed in their earlier days death came more readily; for their bodies were then less different (27) from the bodies of Men, and the command of their spirits over their bodies less complete."

"'Ever more you amaze my thought, Andreth,' said Finrod. 'For if your claim is true, then lo! a fea which is here but a traveller is wedded indissolubly to a hroa of Arda; to divide them is a grievous hurt, and yet each must fulfil its right nature without tyranny of the other. Then this must surely follow: the fea when it departs must take with it the hroa."

"(Finrod thinks) There are on Earth 'incarnate' creatures, Elves and Men: these are made of a union of hroa and fea (roughly but not exactly equivalent to 'body' and 'soul'). This, he (Finrod) would say, was a known fact concerning Elvish nature, and could therefore be deduced for human nature from the close kinship of Elves and Men."

"he comes (or if you like jumps) to the conclusion that the fea of unfallen Man would have taken with it its hroa into the new mode of existence (free from Time). In other words, that 'assumption' was the natural end of each human life, though as far as we know it has been the end of the only 'unfallen' member of Mankind.(6) He then has a vision of Men as the agents of the 'unmarring' of Arda, not merely undoing the marring or evil wrought by Melkor, but by producing a third thing, Arda Re-made"

"fea 'spirit': the particular 'spirit' belonging to and 'housed' in any one hroa of the Incarnates. It corresponds, more or less, to 'soul'; and to 'mind', when any attempt is made to distinguish between mentality, and the mental processes of Incarnates, conditioned and limited by the co-operation of the physical organs of the hroa. It was thus in its being (apart from its experience) the impulse and power to think: enquire and reflect, as distinct from the means of acquiring data. It was conscious and self-aware: 'self' however in Incarnates included the hroa. The fea was said by the Eldar to retain the impress or memory of the hroa and of all the combined experiences of itself and its body."

"Thus, outside the Blessed Realm, all 'matter' was likely to have a 'Melkor ingredient',(3) and those who had bodies, nourished by the hroa of Arda, had as it were a tendency, small or great, towards Melkor: they were none of them wholly free of him in their incarnate form, and their bodies had an effect upon their spirits."

Now... i am not totally sure what to make of this.To me it may be possible that JRRT does not follow the older jewish (and norse) idea of the unity of body and soul but the later medieval christian idea of soul and body as two separate things (or at least the "body" is part of Arda and as such subdue to the corruption of Arda while the "soul" is not... this looks almost gnostic to me) , but DOES kind of INCLUDE the older concept to a degree as the separation of both is unnatural, he also follows the catholic concept that resurrection is bodily. After the remaking of the world men return, not only in spirit but in remade physical form.

Last edited:
Sure. It's a Theodicy issue, that's what i am trying to say all the time.

Sure. But Theodicy is already given by Arda being allowed to be marred from the beginning at its creation. Orcs as corrupted elves do not create it, they just illustate it further. As such I do not understand your problem with it. Evil must be evil, and tragedy must be tragic, and not only seemgly so, as Arda presents an alternative past of our own world. It fits all together perfectly imho.

Humans ARE redeemable, Eru does solve this by turning into Elpino , entering his own creation and taking their sins on himself. Therefore it would be the smallest problem if Orcs basically were "humans".

However, humans do have the ability to repent their sins and accept Eru. Orcs seemingly do not.That , to my understanding, is a problem.

Humans are marred, they are tainted by the original sin, yet they do not have to grow up and become inavitably evil, they still have good in them. Orcs... they have hate in them and cannot decide not to be orcs.This is a dilemma.

I mean... it is still POSSIBLE Eru, with the remaking of Arda, will revert the very existence of the Orc and this would GIVE them the choice to either accept Eru or go to non-creation.

As such I do not understand your problem with it.

Yeah, it is obvious we don't quite understand each other. I can't help it too, i tried my best.

Humans ARE redeemable, Eru does solve this by turning into Elpino , entering his own creation and taking their sins on himself. Therefore it would be the smallest problem if Orcs basically were "humans".

However, humans do have the ability to repent their sins and accept Eru. Orcs seemingly do not.That , to my understanding, is a problem.

Humans are marred, they are tainted by the original sin, yet they do not have to grow up and become inavitably evil, they still have good in them. Orcs... they have hate in them and cannot decide not to be orcs.This is a dilemma.

I mean... it is still POSSIBLE Eru, with the remaking of Arda, will revert the very existence of the Orc and this would GIVE them the choice to either accept Eru or go to non-creation.

We are before even the firsts of prophets. The Promise of Eru is a vage rumour stored by Erlond in his library, which has been long forgotten by anyone else. For the purpose of the story and time the redemption of humans is as much a mistery, as the fate of orcs. And I still do not see a difference between a dead orc and a dead Avari refusing Mandos. Really, I do not.

Yeah and i am about to give up.

I can't follow you as i don't understand your analogy. It makes zero sense to me.

? Completely corrupted. Completly evil beings do not make or carry medicine with them, or use it on captives. ;-)

That doesn't logically follow. Medicine can certainly be put to Good purposes, but that does not make it inherently Good. The orc draught was clearly being administered pragmatically, as they had orders to bring the hobbits alive, and needed to ensure that Merry and Pippin stayed that way (also, to allow them to run so that the captors wouldn't have to carry them the whole way).

That doesn't logically follow. Medicine can certainly be put to Good purposes, but that does not make it inherently Good. The orc draught was clearly being administered pragmatically, as they had orders to bring the hobbits alive, and needed to ensure that Merry and Pippin stayed that way (also, to allow them to run so that the captors wouldn't have to carry them the whole way).
But the very idea of medicine is to restore health which in itself is combating evil.

But the very idea of medicine is to restore health which in itself is combating evil.

That's like saying, feeding a captive to keep them alive to torture them more as they've not yet given you the information you want is innately good. It's neither good nor evil, it's just an action but it is part of a very evil process. I don't think orcs are shown to necessarily have medicine. Orc draught seems closer to something like an electrolyte energy drink lol

Fighting against an evil does not automatically make something Good. In Exploring the Lord of the Rings, we've been discussing the Council of Elrond, and a large part of the recent discussion has been about how it's not just about fighting Evil, but rather doing so in the proper way and with the proper motivations.

To put it another way, when two evil groups fight each other, are they both less evil because both are "combating evil"?

That's like saying, feeding a captive to keep them alive to torture them more as they've not yet given you the information you want is innately good. It's neither good nor evil, it's just an action but it is part of a very evil process. I don't think orcs are shown to necessarily have medicine. Orc draught seems closer to something like an electrolyte energy drink lol

Well, they DO have something they can apply to heal wounds, at least. Still, they seem to apply it pragmatically rather than altruistically.

Well, they DO have something they can apply to heal wounds, at least. Still, they seem to apply it pragmatically rather than altruistically.
By doing so they actively act to protect, restore and promote something which is objectively good, which is health. Motivation secondary, action and goal itself are good.

A.k.a: There is no pharmacy in Barad-Dur.
Not so sure about Othank yet, though.

It feels like Tolkien really shot himself in the foot by the whole 'orcs were elves' thing. If he'd just never mentioned it, it'd all be fine. I get he didn't like the idea that Eru didn't create evil things but if he just never tried to explain it away then we'd have more scope to wonder at what orcs are like. The fact we are guided to believe they are implicitly evil by virtue of being eternally corrupted, actually makes the problem worse. Should've just had orcs and trolls and whatever pop up and not be an issue. They work fine in The Hobbit as 'generic fantasy bad guys'. Silly old John, bless your heart.

Back