Titus (previously Barnabas) Butterbur

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure exactly what kind of look we're after for Barnabas Butterbur, but I guess it would be good if we immediately recognise him as The Innkeeper and someone who could be Barliman's dad.
Why not british comedian Johnny Vegas?
Here is a picture from the movie Libertine: upload_2017-8-31_10-40-16.jpeg
He seems like a nice guy. upload_2017-8-31_10-42-7.jpeg
I guess he likes beer, which fits the role...
images

I'm not sure exactly what kind of look we're after for Barnabas Butterbur, but I guess it would be good if we immediately recognise him as The Innkeeper and someone who could be Barliman's dad.
Why not british comedian Johnny Vegas?
Here is a picture from the movie Libertine: View attachment 1262
He seems like a nice guy. View attachment 1263
I guess he likes beer, which fits the role...
images
That first picture makes me think of Ian McNeice.
1999-xmas-mr-fezziwig.jpg

In our S03 frame, Barnabas is a child/youth, I think. I believe the adult we are seeking is Barnabas' father (I think the name I recall is Titus.)

It's never really stated but i always thought of butterbur in lotr as a man in his fourties or fifties, probably a widower...

That would imply he was born about ta 2970/80

If i understand correctly the frame is set in ta 2941..

Following that i conject: butterbur is not born yet and worse, bilbo has not yet returned from erebor.

The fell winter was is 2911, thirty years before bilbo joined thorin & company and twenty years before aragorn was born..

Last edited:
It's never really stated but i always thought of butterbur in lotr as a man in his fourties or fifties, probably a widower...

That would imply he was born about ta 2970/80

If i understand correctly the frame is set in ta 2941..

Following that i conject: butterbur is not born yet and worse, bilbo has not yet returned from erebor.

The fell winter was is 2911, thirty years before bilbo joined thorin & company and twenty years before aragorn was born..
So, a few things:

1) The hosts deliberately moved the Fell Winter later on the timeline to include it in the S03 frame.

2) The S03 frame is closer to 2946-48. It has been a few years since the frame of S01.

3) I agree that Barliman has not been born yet in this time period, which is why we are discussing the casting of his father, who the hosts have named Barnabas in honor of an early version name for Barliman.

So we only have to discuss at what age the butterburs sire their children... I guess they are late- starters and titus is already in his 40 ies while his son barney is a kid between 4 and 8?

But estel is already 18 and has not yet been out in the wilderness with the rangers? Well they're dunedain... Latestarters as well i guess.​

can't believe that. He journeyed with Elladan and Elrohir at the age of 20 and went into the wild at an age of 22. He wouldn't have done the one nor the other thing had he been an inexperienced youngster... he does his great journeys and adventures as a mercenary at the age of 26 and I guess that at the point he#s already a skilled Hunter and fighter.

I guess this thread is a mess, mostly because I got things wrong. It was a bit premature, perhaps.

Why? Let's just say johnny vegas or ian mc neice could be ideas for titus butterbur and everythings fine.

We'd just need a child actor to play barney...

can't believe that. He journeyed with Elladan and Elrohir at the age of 20 and went into the wild at an age of 22. He wouldn't have done the one nor the other thing had he been an inexperienced youngster... he does his great journeys and adventures as a mercenary at the age of 26 and I guess that at the point he#s already a skilled Hunter and fighter.

From Tolkien Gateway:

Elrond revealed to "Estel" his true name and ancestry when he returned from a journey with Elrohir and Elladan in T.A.2952, when Aragorn was twenty-one years old; as part of this revelation, he delivered to him the heirlooms of his House: the shards of Narsil and the Ring of Barahir. Later, Aragorn met and fell in love with Arwen, daughter of Elrond, who had newly returned from Lothlórien.[7]

I'm not sure I want to waste Vegas on Titus Butterbur - I'd rather save him for Barliman later. And McNeice could be a bit too old to play Titus right now. Well, it depends.

From Tolkien Gateway:

Elrond revealed to "Estel" his true name and ancestry when he returned from a journey with Elrohir and Elladan in T.A.2952, when Aragorn was twenty-one years old; as part of this revelation, he delivered to him the heirlooms of his House: the shards of Narsil and the Ring of Barahir. Later, Aragorn met and fell in love with Arwen, daughter of Elrond, who had newly returned from Lothlórien.[7]

I don't really understand where you're going with this.

Estel has obviously been on journeys before he learns about his heritage. Forgive me for being slow, but how does this have anything to do with the age of any of the Butterburs?

Back