Werewolves, Vampire Bats, and Giant Cats

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
I know we already have generic 'Beasts' and 'Creatures' threads in the Season 1 section, but I wanted to make sure I gave people a chance to weigh in on how they thought these characters would look this season. A discussion of Draugluin, Thuringwethil, and Tevildo came up in today's session, with specific focus on their appearance, and how that relates to their followers.

So, this thread is for any character concept art or real-world creatures that we would want to use as inspiration for these creatures. Please specify whether you are thinking of the named leader, or a more generic werewolf, warg, vampire bat, big cat, etc. when posting, so that I represent everyone's ideas accurately when I put together the slides

We will have an art/design review for Season 3 sometime in June, so it would be good to get thoughts down here sometime over the next month. I will go hunt around for existing posts, but this let's everyone see what has been proposed. Thanks!

Yes, i already had supplied very rough ideas for more humanoid cat-demons, though i like our current version of more cave-lion, nor-humanoid oriented werecats better...
Werewolves i stay we' copy the gmork..

Vampires i don't have any real ideas yet.

Giant cats

Ange1e4e5 suggests black panthers:
PantherLookingMean.jpg

Faelivrin suggests cave lions:
cave-lion.jpg

CWUWTzf.png

Haerangil sketched some cat-demons for us:

index.php

Last edited:
Nick, that scaling is very helpful - thank you! The 3D visuals really make it easier to see what we're talking about with 'giant' creatures.

Gmork from The Neverending Story is the perfect werewolf to me. (Or, well, I found it scary as a kid!)

I agree that I don't want there to be anything humanoid about the werewolves. Technically, 'were' means 'man', so the idea that it's a man who turns into a wolf is rather inherent, but I think in Tolkien's stories, they are evil spirits inhabiting wolf-bodies...nothing human or humanoid about them.

Draugluin is going to be the result of one of Sauron's experiments, so he can look like he's a wolf in pain or like there's something wrong with him. He doesn't just have to be 'a wolf'. But...the rest of the werewolves (and wargs) should be...more-or-less just big wolves. I'm not suggesting anything too extreme. I don't want Draugluin to be missing a limb or an eye or to be limping or anything like that. He's a powerful, strong fighter. But he could have scars all over his body, or something. Patches of fur that grow back in white to show the marks of Sauron's experiments. Something like that. Battle scars to denote the pain of his spirit.

Actually it was the lost tales way telling which made ne thi k of the cats as vaguely humanoid... but of cozrse we don't need that! A parralel to wargs and Vampires is perfect!

Just a reminder that Marielle has given some thought to Thuringwethil's wardrobe, as she at least will be shapeshifting between humanoid-form and bat-form.

Thuringwethil's cloak
index.php

Dress with structured train:
index.php

'Simple' outfits to wear under the bat-cape:

index.php

index.php

index.php

I think the cape will be an important detail for the transformation, and to remind the audience that she's a bat when she's in human form.

Zero's cape in Code Geass certainly has enough movement to it:
RecentMediumDogfish-max-1mb.gif

And Dr. Strange's cape has enough personality:
cd7b8a99ddc97769231b2fd1c3432936

Or even something as simple as the 'commander of the wind demons' from this Rankin/Bass (very unusual) claymation Christmas special (timestamp 1:11 in this video):

The dress 7s quite sexy, has qualities of 60ies fashion...

But the cape is still very dracular like.

I thought we wanted to go more into a direction of a nearly innocent or childlike appearing t. And also into a more vampirish-bat form so that the shapeyhifting is very limited... am i wrong?

Back