Alatar and Pallando

100%

I think any falling from the path is a slow decline. Questions of morality and choice and agency can prod at each of them differently. For these two, I'm thinking something like the slow burn of Better Call Saul, where characters shift over a period of time and find themselves on paths they wouldn't foresee, but from an outside perspective make a sad kind of inevitable sense.

I'm almost more interested in seeing a season arc ending with one of them taking a terrible route for 'the right reasons' and then much later catching up with them in the aftermath.

Man, I almost just want a multi-season show of these two.

Last edited:
Their show could be the second spin-off after "Thorongil: the Legendary Journeys" (aka The Young Aragorn Elessar Chronicles). But seriously, I'm loving this thread and basically all of the concepts in it.

WRT the slow decline and potential for them to eventually consider have-we-become-the-bad-guys, we have lots of time to do this. If we retain them arriving around the end of the first millennium of the Third Age, then we will have ~19 centuries to show their progression. Unless there is significant compression from the fall of Arnor to Gilraen's flight to Rivendell (where the main story catches up to the frame) we should have over five hours to tell their story, that's the equivalent of a non-epic trilogy. (Conservatively 5 seasons * 13 episodes * 5 min/episode = 325 min of screentime)

Also, are we imagining that they go into the east and none of the LOTR characters ever hear from them again? It has been discussed that Curunir goes east at times and probably interacts with them but I'd like to think that they come back west occasionally, at least up to a point. Maybe there's a bit of a fallout among the wizards which leads to the later (mistaken) belief that the Blue Wizards failed in their mission? Perhaps their apparent divergence leads the remaining 3 Istari to work more closely with the Eldarin leaders ultimately forming the White Council in 2463.

We might also use them for a frame some time. For example in a Turin Turambar/Nirnaeth/Numenor season, where complicated situations go from bad to worse, and ppl try their best and fail, or are unsure of who to trust, how to pursue the path they want etc., or just, horrible catastrophe strikes and you can do nothing but try and do damage reduction.

And then later we see how the actually arrive in the second age.. A bit of asynchronous storytelling, but they are over there for so long anyway, it's not all just 1 story.

(that could then still be spun off ;)

They could meet Thorongil and Saruman at one point...

Or Daeron ;)...

They could discover the remnants of Cuivienen, Utumno, the Pillar Ringil, Almaren... lots of things. Where did Sauron hide before he returned to the West? Do we get an epic magic duel betwen the Wizards and him at some point?

They could meet Thorongil and Saruman at one point...

Or Daeron ;)...

They could discover the remnants of Cuivienen, Utumno, the Pillar Ringil, Almaren... lots of things. Where did Sauron hide before he returned to the West? Do we get an epic magic duel betwen the Wizards and him at some point?

Yeah so I shared ideas elsewhere of Sauron’s travelling to the East and someone pointed out the timing might not match but I personally think Sauron going to the East and growing in power is a good place for him to meet Daeron and exactly where the Blue come in. I’d personally love to build out that entire Eastern narrative.

Back