Casting Draft for The Children of Hurin

Well it IS fun. lots of fun...

If we had the actors for the elves cast ready or Vala/Maia Costumes I'd like to sketch some Actors in Costume... should be quite a challenge.

Head on over to the costume forum for color schemes for the Vala/Maiar. The casting list is available here, so sketches of actors in costumes should be possible now. :)

Maiar color schemes: https://forums.signumuniversity.org...costume-concepts-for-the-maiar.200/#post-2698

Valar costume discussion: https://forums.signumuniversity.org...sode-0-2-how-to-visually-depict-the-valar.45/

Cast List: https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/cast-so-far.327/#post-10295

Last edited:
the elves are pretty well dine so far...
if we accept some of the haircuts we've talked about.

for the ainur i'd like to see more drawings for costumes...

so far i can't really imagine manee's feathered style for example.

I would like Hugh Keays-Byrne as the voice of Morgoth, particularly after his work as Immortan Joe in Mad Max: Fury Road.

I would like Hugh Keays-Byrne as the voice of Morgoth, particularly after his work as Immortan Joe in Mad Max: Fury Road.

I'm not really sure why the currently cast Michael Fassbender would not be able to pull off an appropriate "bad guy" voice with this same level of digital assistance.

As should be obvious by now, this thread is an off-the-book casting discussion unrelated to the Silm Film project.

Arnold Vosloo as Brodda.

50320ddd2a9a752eb8357dd9a5933190.jpg

220px-Arnold_Vosloo_2009.jpg

arnold-vosloo-1436616861.jpg

I like Hemsworth for Turin, especially considering his brother was cast as Eonwe. It seems appropriate, somehow, that the greatest of the Younger Children recalls visually the captain of Valinor.
Maybe we could throw in a line about this, that he resembles Eonwe when he fights?;)

I wasn't even aware john hurt had died this year.

I hope jeremy irons still lives, because i'd suggest him as gwindor instead.

I'm obviously very late to the party, but I hope this is the right place to suggest ...

Eddie Redmayne for Gwindor

The more I think about this, the more I like it.
  1. We know he can play a character who is physically transformed through suffering -- he played Stephen Hawking -- so he could play Gwindor both pre- and post-captivity.
  2. He can do "battle-crazy because you killed someone I cared about" -- see Marius threatening to (suicidally) blow up the barricade in Les Mis) -- which is highly relevant for the moment where he rushes alone into battle after seeing his brother hacked to pieces.
  3. Relatedly, he does grieving and suvivor's guilt better than anyone I can think of. Watch him sing/sob his way through "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables," and try not to break down right along with him. Ouch.
  4. As Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them he has a sort of twitchy nervous energy that I think would work well for someone who's traumatized from years in Angband.
  5. In Fantastic Beasts he does a beautiful job playing someone who's in love, but too anxious, awkward, and wounded really know what to do with it. I can see him playing Gwindor with Turin in Nargothrond as someone who's still very much in love with Finduilas, but is deeply scarred and can't go back to being the person she knew and expects him to be. He sees her falling for Turin, and can't even bring himself to resent her for it, but he can also see that it's not likely to end well.
Redmayne's such a frequent nominee, I'm not sure he'll go un-cast long enough to make it to this season, but I wanted to throw it out there. At this point, I'm pretty sure he's my personal head-canon Gwindor, regardless.

Yeah, the trick will definitely be keeping him uncast that long! We shall see....
Depends on how long of a gap we have between Nirnaeth Arnoediad and when Beleg finds Gwindor.

We could have Gwindor being tortured for Nargothrond and/or a look at life in Angband...

Back