Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by MithLuin, Dec 16, 2017.

What's next for the Silm Film Project?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2018.
  1. Ignore Amazon's project. TV show? What TV show? Continue with Season 4 of SilmFilm as planned.

6 vote(s)
  2. Restart Riddles in the Dark to focus on Amazon's project while Silm Film goes on hiatus for a time.

0 vote(s)
  3. SilmFilm leaps ahead to the 3rd Age, covering LotR seasons before returning to Season 4

0 vote(s)
  4. SilmFilm continues with Season 4, but with sporadic breaks for 'reaction episodes' to Amazon's show

7 vote(s)
  5. *keeping my fingers crossed for Corey Olsen's direct involvement in the Amazon Project*

7 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Haakon

Haakon Administrator Staff Member

I think that it will take some time before the Amazon project begins to take form. In 2005, GRR Martin met Benioff and Weiss and agreed that they could work on an adaption of Game of Thrones. They pitched the idea at HBO in 2006 and HBO bought the rights in 2008. Even if we skip some of that time because Amazon have already bought the rights, it will take at least a year to write something substantial, and then they will begin pre-production in 2019 at the earliest, with casting and looking for locations and so on. We will probably not learn anything about their project until sometime in 2019, so my guess is that this project can go on for at least another season.

My feeling is that, if we jump ahead to Third Age, something will be lost. I'm looking forward to working on the stories of the First Age.
    Richol Richards and MithLuin like this.
  2. Nicholas Palazzo

Nicholas Palazzo Well-Known Member

My take on it is that much of what the Amazon series will cover is the period in which we have set most of our frame story, and if we jump ahead to cover what they are, we will be eating up our own future frame material. Additionally, we have to keep in mind what effect changes to the storyline would have on the past here. It is a lot easier to look forward and see what the butterfly effect of our adaptation will be. Looking back is a lot less clear. I'd hate for us to paint ourselves into a corner with this.
  3. Haakon

Haakon Administrator Staff Member

I agree. We would definitely be creating problems for ourselves. On the other hand, it would perhaps be an opportunity to develop some skill at Tolkienian retconning.... No seriously, I agree.
  4. amysrevenge

amysrevenge Well-Known Member

I might be repeating myself here, but since the discussion is rolling again - I very much do NOT want to skip ahead, for pretty much any scenario of Amazon status I can imagine. The Amazon project will have no more and no less impact on my participation in this imaginary just-for-fun project than Jackson or Bakshi or Rankin-Bass or the BBC drama do/did. Even if they were to fool everyone and start with the story of Beren and Luthien, just as we're getting in to S6 Beren and Luthien (aside - I'm more convinced every session that we need another season in between now and then), I would want to stick to our guns and do our own version.
  5. Brian Dimmick

Brian Dimmick Active Member

I agree with the general sentiment here that we should keep moving forward with the First Age material. It's just too early to start thinking about Third Age material that might be used in an Amazon series. We don't know if the Amazon series will ever happen, or when it will start--it could be 2 years, or 5, or 10 (shows sit in "development" for years, or indefinitely, sometimes). Also, without knowing what pre-Party material is going to be covered (and we're likely to have a good idea about that only after casting decisions are announced) we risk putting a lot of effort to plots that Amazon decides to ignore. If there is genuinely more interest in discussing adaptation of late Third Age material than First Age material, then go and do that, but not, at this stage, because of the possible Amazon project. (I, personally, am more interested in the First Age stuff--that's why I came to SilmFilm).

We can always revisit a decision to keep going with SilmFilm in a year or two as tings develop. It's much harder to go the other way (going back to the First Age stories after you have left them behind for a few years).
    Faelivrin, amysrevenge and Haakon like this.
  6. Faelivrin

Faelivrin Well-Known Member

These are real concerns, especially since we don't even know what they will cover. Sabotaging our own frame would be counterproductive, and also unnecessary if we could just pre-empt Amazon in our frame while still continuing with SilmFilm.

This is perhaps my greatest concern. If Corey Olson spends 2-3 years on the Third Age, that project will gather momentum and he might never, ever return to the SilmFilm. Creative projects that lose their momentum are often abandoned permanently, even if the author(s) started them with great enthusiasm -- I've seen it happen, and I've done it myself more than once. That would be a shame.

A Third Age-only project would probably lose my interest after a while, honestly, unless it was very brief and we returned quickly to the SilmFilm. My attention usually doesn't stay fixed on one single fictional universe for many years at a time, I go visit other settings I also want to read/watch or reread/rewatch. I was planning to stick with SilmFilm for the long-term, since The Silmarillion (and associated HoME, UT, Narn, etc.) is my very favorite work of fiction... but the Third Age is just less interesting to me.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. Ange1e4e5

Ange1e4e5 Well-Known Member

I did not come here to do the Third Age. I came for The Silmarillion, and The Silmarillion is much more than the Third Age. I just hope to get to the Great Tales, which interest me most of all.