Nan Elmoth

For some reason, we didn't do location scouting for Nan Elmoth in season 2, when Thingol and Melian met here. We did touch on it at one point: https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/nan-elmoth.3753/

Here are some inspirational pics:

1622639662451.png1622639673216.png1622639685170.png1622639697192.png

The trees are supposed to be taller and darker than in other places, the sun doesn't find its way down top the forest floor.

1622639934939.png

Attachments

• 1622640133404.png
    1622640133404.png
    891.9 KB · Views: 2
Question: is the meteorite of Galvorn in Nan Elmoth? If so, where is it and how does Eol access it?

Question: is the meteorite of Galvorn in Nan Elmoth? If so, where is it and how does Eol access it?
I think we have discussed this earlier. At the moment, I am of the opinion that galvorn isn’t found in Nan Elmoth. Eöl would have produced some other black item, I believe, if he had an ore here. I think he just had enough to create the two swords, and his reasons for wanting Nan Elmoth as his home probably has more to do with the intrinsic
magic of the area (or magic left after Melian’s and Thingol’s time here).

Correct. The impact of the meteor crater became Lake Helevorn. But then we abandoned that back story; never told it :p. So, no impact crater in Nan Elmoth.

I think this suggestion for forests of Doriath might work for Nan Elmoth!

Konrad S wrote:

I was thinking of something to create an effect like this:​
for forests like Doriath, Ossiriand and other southern ones.​
Yakushima Forest Japan:

I think this suggestion for forests of Doriath might work for Nan Elmoth!

Konrad S wrote:

I was thinking of something to create an effect like this:​
for forests like Doriath, Ossiriand and other southern ones.​
Yakushima Forest Japan:
That picture is great! To be perfect, I believe it should also have very tall trees.

Yes, with that much moss, light is getting through the canopy, so I imagine the trees are not as tall nor as dense as we might like. But the mist required to keep all that moss alive must be impressive!

Perhaps Białowieża Forest in Poland/Belarus would have taller trees? It's an old growth primeval forest, which I think would be very good for Nan Elmoth. Might have to shoot on cloudy days to give the impression of a dense canopy, though.

bialowieza-forest.jpg

Parts of it have that heavy moss, but also there are tall oak trees there as well.

1623911505075.png

1623911626829.png

1623913083763.png

1623913244490.png

Perhaps Białowieża Forest in Poland/Belarus would have taller trees? It's an old growth primeval forest, which I think would be very good for Nan Elmoth. Might have to shoot on cloudy days to give the impression of a dense canopy, though.

Parts of it have that heavy moss, but also there are tall oak trees there as well.
If you want high trees, you need to go to Western Europe. The farther you go East here the smaller and less dense the trees get due to the increasing harshness of the climate. Really high trees you will get e.g. in Western Germany (where they also have plenty of carbon dioxide to grow high on) or Luxembourg from my experience. My experience from France is only the north coast and there they seem to got a liitle smaller again for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back