Out-of-Order Storytelling

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
The storytelling of the Silmarillion is not chronological. It jumps forwards and backwards in time, focusing on different parts of the story as needed without too much concern for what happened first. The organization is much more thematic and topic-based.

Granted, there are clues to alert the reader to these time skips, so there is some sense of chronology as the story unfolds. It's just not told in a strictly chronological manner.

This style of storytelling is extremely difficult to pull off well on film, but there are good examples, of course.

Quentin Tarantino is infamous for this. All of his films are about different groups of people, and their stories unfold and overlap. I imagine Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill are the two best-known examples, but seriously, pick any film with his name on it and you'll see this storytelling style. There is even an episode of the original CSI that he guest-directed that uses this style -- all the bodies in the morgue at the same time tell each other their stories of how they got there.(Well...with the usual Tarantino weirdness)

Pulp Fiction opens with a scene we will see again at the end (the cafe robbery), but by the time we get to the end of the film, we're seeing it from a different perspective. Certain characters appear in multiple storylines, linking them together, and thematic repeats (such as one character always being in the bathroom during important moments) help to tie the disparate threads together. The audience may be confused by the back-and-forth whiplash, but there's enough cohesion to make it all make sense. It's basically just telling multiple stories at once, out of order.
Opening, cut off (language warning):
Finale, finishing the scene:

Another film with a very similar style to Pulp Fiction is Trick 'r Treat. Again, there are multiple storylines, they overlap, they aren't told in chronological order, and sometimes we see the same scene from a different perspective later. A first time viewer might miss some of the connections between the storylines (for instance, not recognizing the unmasked vampire as a character we'd met earlier), or not following the cause-and-effect because of the disjointed time frames. While most of the story takes place over the course of a single Halloween night, one of the storylines is a '30 years ago' retelling that impacts two of the other storylines.
Trailer:
(As an aside, this film is *very* good at making you feel like the victim characters are getting what they deserve. Sometimes, that's valid. Other times...not so much. Respect the traditions, y'all!)

I haven't seen Love Actually, but it's my understanding that it also uses multiple overlapping stories and out-of-order storytelling.

It is possible to do this out-of-order storytelling with a more linear story...if you have different perspectives. So, for instance, in Boondock Saints, you have the detective trying to figure out what happened based on the crime scenes, and then you have the real-time version of what happened from the main characters' perspective. This eventually culminates in the detective narrating the crime scene while the audience sees it in real time, showing that his investment has merged their stories together so that he is now part of it. It's a little weird, but it does serve a purpose in the film.
'There was a firefight!' scene:
(Note: I realize this scene makes no sense - even if you know what's going on, it's extremely weird to have a point blank shoot-out without cover where no one shoots anyone lethally. Like, what?)

And of course, there's the Firefly episode "Out of Gas," which uses 3 different timelines to tell its story. One is the 'real time' of the opener - Mal is alone on his ship, trying to fix a serious problem. Two is the immediate backstory of how that happened, so we keep flashing back to the events that led up to him being there alone in the 'near history' storyline. And the third is the backstory of how each member of the crew came to join Serenity's crew in the first place. The first episode showed how Book and Simon came aboard, but this (episode 8) showed how the rest of them who were already in place when the show opened came to join the crew. They had to use rather clever choices of lighting and other clues to allow the audience to know which of the three storylines we're revisiting in each scene. The audience quickly realizes that how they came together as a crew is relevant to how they function as a crew now, and how the episode ends. The final scene of the episode is Mal's memory of the first time he ever saw the ship.

The Usual Suspects is told entirely in flashback. The framing device is an interrogation, and the entire story until the end of the film is a long tale of the deeds of Kaiser Soze. It isn't until the end of the film, when the interrogation is over, that the film returns to real-time storytelling for its climatic reveal.

The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix tells its entire story with out-of-order storytelling. There are two main timelines. One, is the events that occurred when the five children were living with their parents in an old house that they were fixing up (spoiler alert: the creepy old house is seriously haunted). The second is fast-forwarded to a time when all five children are adults, still dealing with the trauma they experienced as kids. Each episode focuses on a different child as the main character, so you get to know more about them growing up and where they are now. There is a 'now', though, focusing on the night Nellie returned to the house. So, some of the adult scenes are still told in flashback (the oldest publishing his book, Nellie's wedding, Luke entering rehab, etc) with timestamps to let you know how long ago that was. And the 'then' story is also told out-of-order, bringing up scenes as they are significant, not in the order they happened. So, you see the last night in the haunted house early on, but from the perspective of the person who knew the least about what was happening. It's really interesting how well they blend the concepts of horror with mental health, and the family dynamics that have developed between the adult children. I haven't finished watching it yet, but I'm way too invested not to finish it. It helps that I grew up in a 200-year-old house with my two sisters and two brothers, and that the kid who plays young!Luke looks *just* like my nephew. Even so...this style of storytelling lends itself well to getting to know each individual character. And because they're all so closely interconnected and already *know* everything, it's easy to make a bunch of allusions to things the audience is only gradually learning about. It's a great way to build suspense and draw the audience in. [But I can't binge watch it, because scary shows scare me and give me weird dreams.]
Trailer:

There is a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode [Trials and Tribble-ations] that involves time travel and reuses footage from a Star Trek: The Original Series episode [The Trouble with Tribbles], thus showing the same thing, but from a different perspective.
(I'm sure they were exceedingly pleased with themselves to have created this!)

I have not seen Memento, but I know enough about it to know it deserves a place on this list!

Lots of movies do the 'three months later' epilogue or throw a timestamp up before a backstory interlude, or have an out-of-order opener. But you have to go out of your way to show an audience what's happening with the timeline, and most shows don't just jump all around with it, because that's confusing. Every once in awhile, someones tries to write a 'Tarantino-esque' script and it may or may not turn out well.

I bring this all up here as food for thought, as we are obviously adapting the non-linear format of the Silmarillion to a (mostly) linear telling of the story in TV format. Personally, I love out-of-order storytelling, and it increases my interest in the story to learn about things when they are *significant*, not just when they happen chronologically. And I'm not overly concerned with 'spoilers' ruining anything. In the hands of a good storyteller, knowing the bald facts of the ending is meaningless. The Princess Bride seemingly spoils itself right in the middle when the kid demands to know 'who kills Humperdink?' and the grandfather reading to him says, 'Nobody. He lives.' The kid interprets that to mean that he wins, and is upset...but obviously Humperdink's survival is *not* synonymous with his success. Likewise, Tolkien casually drops a reference of the Battle of Five Armies into the Hobbit when they're with Beorn.

But we made the decision from the very beginning of this project to make it linear - we're pretty strongly dedicated to making the events of each episode unfold in chronological order, and the frame also moves chronologically (though, obviously, along a separate timeline). The existence of the frame is one reason we don't want to mess with the timelines within the story - we already have a parallel structure going on. There is strong resistance to the use of flashback anywhere in this project.

So...what exceptions do we want to make? What stories do we want to tell in flashback or out-of-order in some way?

So far, we have done this in very modest ways. When we planned the opening for Season 2, we stepped back in time to *before* the climatic battle at the end of Season 1, but this time watched the events play out from the perspective of the elves, not the Valar. During the Frame in Season 2, we flashed back to the attack on Celebrían. For episode 3 of Season 3, we stepped back in time with our 'Meanwhile, in Beleriand' episode, catching that story up to 'real time' by the end of the episode. And while the Noldor were traveling through Araman, Finrod had a flashback vision/memory of his parting from Amarië which happened during the rebellion of the Noldor (prior to the Kinslaying). Any I'm forgetting?

I know that for Season 4, we've had a few suggestions of items that we might want to consider telling out-of-order. One is Eöl's story - to do it in a single Eöl-centric episode, showing his history from the end of the great debate at Cuivienen until the arrival of the Noldor. The other suggestion has been how to handle the story of Men being corrupted at Hildorien. I know there is some hesitance about showing the details of a story that Tolkien himself mostly hinted at rather than told...and to avoid retelling the Garden of Eden story. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't at least consider a way to do this.

Any thoughts on this as it relates to Silm Film?

Last edited:
Maybe regarding the conversation between Andreth and Finrod? And maybe Tuor and Voronwe at the Pools of Ivrin, where they see Turin making his way to Dor-Lomin from the Fall of Nargothrond.

I also do like series which are in themself closed stories, american horror stories for 3xample, or true detective...

We will have to abandon this notion of strict, no-exceptions linear storytelling after the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, to tell Turin and Tuor's stories properly. And anyway, the dedication to absolute linear storytelling is going to result in nonsensical rubbish if we change the order in which events happen.

I don't have specific filming suggestions for telling an Eol flashback without confusion, except this: If "now" in the episode is during the day (in a shady forest, because Eol hates daylight), and flashbacks are always shown on a moonless night, that would be a helpful visual clue.

I can try to describe Memento a little, though I watched it in 2004. If I remember correctly, the film has 2 timelines and frankly, I think it's designed to be confusing so the ending is a surprise. One timeline is shown in short segments. Each scene ends where the previously-seen scene began, and it's seen from the perspective of a character who can't form long-term memories, so he has no idea what happened earlier. This timeline is filmed in color. The other timeline I can't recall, I think it was filmed in black and white and went forward in chronological order. At the end of the film, the two timelines merge? I forget.

I agree that we should have a Túrin season, followed by a Tuor + Fall of Gondolin season. While it is possible to interweave these storylines, I don't think we'll want to. However...we'll cross that bridge when we get to it; no decision has been made yet concerning how to separate out that material.

For anyone who was not familiar with the literary terms for talking about this, they are Fabula and Sujet.

'Fabula' refers to the order in which events occur; the chronological order of the story.

'Sujet' refers to the order in which events are related to the audience.

In *most* stories, they are mostly synonymous - with the exception of the occasional flashback or time skip, stories tend to progress chronologically. When you start mixing that up...you can confuse matters mightily. But it can be very effective, as well, allowing the storyteller to place the emphasis in the exact right place.

Obviously, if your characters are time travelling or experiencing memory issues, you kinda have to disrupt the order of the narrative to show that. It also works for developing a mystery, where what the audience doesn't know yet adds to the suspense. But it's also helpful to wait until someone cares about a character to reveal their backstory, rather than to begin with their origin, sometimes. Meeting a character, getting to know them...and then finding out about a detail in their background can be very helpful. The Magicians Nephew works best for those who have already read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and are thus curious to learn about Narnia's origins. If you start with the chronologically first book, you don't have the connections to Narnia to know what it will become. Certainly, this can work in reverse - seeing Lucy's lamp post and thinking 'aha! I know where that came from!' But it's more likely to be an 'aha!' moment if you know about Lucy's lamp post when you see it grow in the first days of Narnia.

There are some caveats and why *not* to do the jumping-around-in-time thing, though. Obviously, it can be confusing. If the audience can't figure out when anything is happening, they can get frustrated, or spend all of their viewing time going, 'wait...is this the part where...?' rather than actually paying attention to your story. A flashback within a flashback, or more than 3 timelines to keep track of at once, are brutal.

But more significantly, flashbacks tend to drain the tension out of the story. Because you now have characters on screen reminiscing about the past. It's not that they *can't* do that, but you have to do it very carefully and sparingly so as not to make the scene extra boring. There should be some point to it, something that makes it particularly poignant or significant to tell that flashback at exactly that moment. It can't just be to get the audience caught up or fill them in. Straight exposition in a flashback is...like overusing voiceover narrative.

Last edited:
I watched the "Atonement" episode from Babylon 5, season 4. I figured it might be useful to have another example.

"Atonement" starts and ends with scenes of the human characters dealing with the ongoing, multi-episode plotline. The central Acts of the episode, though, are all the Delenn plotline. This plotline is connected to other episodes (she wants to marry John, her family plans to stop her) but it's mostly self-contained in this episode. Much of the episode is switching back and forth between Delenn in the modern day, and flashbacks to 2 separate time periods of her past. Whole scenes are shown in each timeline, but individual shots are intercut at times, too. Costuming plays a part in keeping the time periods separate. Now!Delenn has long hair and a bright purple outfit. Acolyte!Delenn is bald, wears a white uniform, and looks scared or overwhelmed all the time. Setai!Delenn is bald, wears a dark grey uniform, and looks more dignified. The first flashbacks shots are jumbled and confusing. After that, the flashbacks tell a story, intercut with Delenn and other Minbari reacting to what she's remembering (there's a psychic omni-theatre that projects her memories like a movie). To make things even more complicated, Delenn also starts talking to the other Minbari about the very ancient past 1000 years ago, the very recent past, and examples of recent time travel (but none of those things get filmed).

It works, though. Delenn comments to the present-time people about what she's remembering, and that helps keeps it together and coherent. The past is used as a lesson to inform what Delenn and other characters will do in the present. The costume changes, lighting, and scenery usually clearly signal when each shot happened. Different characters (besides Delenn) are present in the present-day scenes and the flashback scenes. Importantly, the human plotline scenes bookend the Delenn plotline, but don't occur between any of the Delenn scenes.

I hope that we could use visual cues like that to make an Eol flashback episode make sense. Now is in Nan Elmoth and NE Beleriand, during the daytime. Flashbacks are to Doriath, at night with no Moon, except for one piece showing Eol's reaction to the Sun (or the Moon). And Eol will be a character who matters fairly soon... after Caranthir starts trading with the Dwarves, if we decide to show it, Eol will get to work convincing them to be less friendly to the Feanorians.

How to do Hildorien flashbacks would depend a lot on when we want to tell them, what the present-day scenes will be. Use contrasting landscape (piney Dorthonion vs. subtropical Hildorien), and Beleriandic stone architecture vs. Hildorien grass huts? Differences in lighting?

I think maybe the problem is how we understand "flashback"...

I mean, if we pick up ties of consistant stories, which are interwoven by a frame... and they have differing timelines...

Then i would not call that a flashback... i would call it anachonological storytelling, and i honestly think such can be very meanful and functional - if you do a good job at selling it to your audience...

Flashbacks i would call it if you do have a storyline, but then in tale or mind we put up a short sequence or a whole story of something that has happened in the past.

Maybe regarding the conversation between Andreth and Finrod? And maybe Tuor and Voronwe at the Pools of Ivrin, where they see Turin making his way to Dor-Lomin from the Fall of Nargothrond.

Finrod and Andreth's conversation is exactly the kind of out-of-order storytelling that we are seeking to undo with our adaptation!

Tolkien introduces Andreth as an old woman, having a philosophical conversation with Finrod, and it is only towards the end of the conversation that it is revealed that young!Andreth was in love with his brother Aegnor. That reveal makes all of the fate-of-elf-and-man stuff that they were discussing much more pertinent, and earns sympathy for the hard/cold Andreth. She was abandoned by the person she loved (in her eyes), and he never was able to explain his reasons to her satisfactorily. Finrod is thus attempting to heal an old wound with his visit.

We...are not going to do it that way. Our goal is to introduce Andreth as a young woman, and show her meeting with Aegnor in 'real time' in the story. Then, when it comes time for the Dagor Bragollach and she is an old woman, we can show her grief over Aegnor's death (and her own death). We may not even show her meeting with Finrod (we'll see) - but we aren't going to include a lengthy philosophical debate.

The Pools of Ivrin is an example of 'same scene, different perspective' that I would very much like to preserve. Húrin and Huor are brothers, very close to one another, and likely will nearly always be shown on screen together. You won't see one without the other until Huor's death (probably). And then...their sons never meet. Túrin and Tuor are first cousins who barely know *of* each other. I think it's part of the tragedy of Túrin's story that he's so cut off from his family that he doesn't even recognize his own sister.

So, yes, I would like to show the Pools of Ivrin scene in Túrin's story, with probably no hint that Tuor and Voronwë are there, and then when we are telling Tuor's story...surprise, there's Túrin at the pool mourning Beleg! The audience will instantly know who it is, but Tuor *won't*, and so he won't make himself known to this stranger. The goal would be to pull this off in such a way that the audience is hit by the significance of this being the only time these two cousins were within sight of each other...without having a narrator voice that idea.

Finrod and Andreth's conversation is exactly the kind of out-of-order storytelling that we are seeking to undo with our adaptation!

Tolkien introduces Andreth as an old woman, having a philosophical conversation with Finrod, and it is only towards the end of the conversation that it is revealed that young!Andreth was in love with his brother Aegnor. That reveal makes all of the fate-of-elf-and-man stuff that they were discussing much more pertinent, and earns sympathy for the hard/cold Andreth. She was abandoned by the person she loved (in her eyes), and he never was able to explain his reasons to her satisfactorily. Finrod is thus attempting to heal an old wound with his visit.

We...are not going to do it that way. Our goal is to introduce Andreth as a young woman, and show her meeting with Aegnor in 'real time' in the story. Then, when it comes time for the Dagor Bragollach and she is an old woman, we can show her grief over Aegnor's death (and her own death). We may not even show her meeting with Finrod (we'll see) - but we aren't going to include a lengthy philosophical debate.

The Pools of Ivrin is an example of 'same scene, different perspective' that I would very much like to preserve. Húrin and Huor are brothers, very close to one another, and likely will nearly always be shown on screen together. You won't see one without the other until Huor's death (probably). And then...their sons never meet. Túrin and Tuor are first cousins who barely know *of* each other. I think it's part of the tragedy of Túrin's story that he's so cut off from his family that he doesn't even recognize his own sister.

So, yes, I would like to show the Pools of Ivrin scene in Túrin's story, with probably no hint that Tuor and Voronwë are there, and then when we are telling Tuor's story...surprise, there's Túrin at the pool mourning Beleg! The audience will instantly know who it is, but Tuor *won't*, and so he won't make himself known to this stranger. The goal would be to pull this off in such a way that the audience is hit by the significance of this being the only time these two cousins were within sight of each other...without having a narrator voice that idea.

Wait a minute: I thought Beleg’s death and Turin mourning at the Pools of Ivrin was five years before the Fall of Nargothrond and when Tuor and Voronwe see Turin.

So I have finished watching the Haunting of Hill House.

There are...a few things to say. Overall, I would say that the storytelling was very good. You care about the characters, you see where they're coming from, and there are a few twists even at the end.

But...there are some downsides, too. One is that you never really figure out what made Hill House haunted in the first place. So, there is very little 'why'...it's more 'what' in the explanation. And, while you do (finally) find out what happened, the reveal is a bit of a let-down after all of that build up. Even though it does reveal something and add to the story, and of course the viewer really wants to know, on one level, it's a 'is that all?' disappointment (when it really shouldn't be). Basically, by the time you reach the final episode, the ghosts stop being scary. All of the scariest parts of the show are earlier on. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the show is creepy, and there's a *really* good jump scare in Episode 8. But after the reveal of the origin of the Bent-Neck Lady, all of the other reveals seem small. Even though there are still some important ones left to go (what happened on the last night, what's behind the door of the Red Room, everyone's fate, etc).

As for the style of storytelling - I think it did its job of making you care about the characters. You know that the children will all survive their ordeal, because you see them all leave the house (and as adults) fairly early on. So, it creates an instant desire in the viewers to know what *happened* to them, and to care about how it impacted them, rather than to waste time worrying about whether or not they'll survive (at least as children). The show is as likely to make the viewer cry as to scare them, and it does a really good job of blending its themes (interweaving the supernatural with mental health issues, exploring family dynamics in the wake of a trauma, etc.)

So...I think it was a good choice to do the chopped up storytelling the way they did, but I also think that you have to have a *really* good twist left to pull it off. And they did - there was a definite 'oh no!' and surprise about some of the final twists. But...it's a let-down, too. Partially (absurdly) because the siblings come to an understanding - good news is boring. I think part of the issue is that they didn't 'beat' anything - the resolution is more muted than that.

I think chopped-up storytelling with a thrilling reveal won't be necessary for SilmFilm. Eol's story, for example, can be told in chronological flashbacks.

"Atonement" uses straight chronological flashbacks leading up to a fairly ho-hum reveal. Maybe I'm biased because I watched it for the first time many years ago and forgot the initial reveal's effect on me. But it doesn't seem that shocking a reveal to me. It's mostly that the main character (Delenn) obtains a useful piece of blackmail against a minor antagonist.

If the Eol-flashback-and-Feanorians-setting-up-in-East-Beleriand episode starts with them arriving, scouting Nan Elmoth, and being perplexed by the mysterious dark aura and creepiness of the forest, the audience will want to know how it got like that, and if they recognize Eol from Cuivienen will want to know what he's doing in Nan Elmoth.

Just a thought... maybe we could use Eol as a setup to jump to the things that happened at Hildorien Nd Cuivienen with the men? I mean if we would wish to expand the bCkground of the early Edain as the execs have proposed last session...

For Cuivienen, we could try. But I would rather not have any Elves at Hildorien or involved in or witness to the Fall of Mankind. I think that story has to be about only the Mortals, not Elf cameos.

Hmm... but the elves were the early teachers of men... were they not? So both races should have had contact in the east..

The Elves didn't go into Hildorien, though, that's stated by Tolkien. The Men fled out of Hildorien after the Fall, and then those who went north or northwest met the Avari and Dwarves and made friends with them. The Elves weren't involved in any way with the Fall of Men.

Now what I don’t want to see is the chronological restructuring of events. The Hosts suggested having Thingol finding out about the Kinslaying take place after the Dagor Agraleb. I think having Thingol find out about the Kinslaying before the Dagor Agraleb raises plenty of tension beforehand, since the Noldor in general could be doubtful that Thingol will show up (compare with the Nirnaeth Arnoediad where Thingol doesn’t send an army because of Celegorm and Curufin’s actions towards Luthien) while there could be doubt on the Sindar end about the cultural and lingual ban they’ve imposed. The Feanorians might not want to work with the other Noldor because they think somebody ratted them out.

Back