Session 6-22: Casting

So, T-1000 was not as massive as Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Gorgol should not be as massive as Conan Stevens. How is that limiting?
I guess from the podcast it sounded like Gorgol was just another clone in look as Boldog. How would it make him any different?

I think this is a case where the criteria established by the podcast leaves the floor wide open to suggestions and nuances. For instance, we didn't discuss whether Gorgol would be played by a male or female actor - simply "orc". Feel free to continue suggesting either.

I guess another example of this contrast would be Red Grant and Oddjob, two henchmen from the Sean Connery era of James Bond films. Both are famous and inspired different trends of similar henchmen and even other Bond villains (Grant has Hans, Eric Kriegler, Necros, Stamper and to a lesser extent Bond villains like Alec Trevelyan and even Daniel Craig's Bond where one of the criticisms was that Craig looked more like Red Grant), while Oddjob has Jaws (a memorable henchman in his own right), as well as Mr. Hinx from Spectre and Renard one of the two lead villains for The World is Not Enough), but have very different fighting styles: Grant is fast and more of a physical equal to Bond who trades blows evenly with him while Oddjob is slower and more likely to absorb punishment before delivering a blow that sends Bond sprawling.

Last edited:
Gorgol is very different from Boldog! Boldog is a force of nature, a cold, fanatic enforcer...
Gorgol is a cynic, he even has a dark ironic humour and a slightly rebellious side to him, while he certainly still is a sadistic assassin and likes to boast in front of his men.A bit a loudmouth if you ask me... Boldog is a guy who doesn't need to brag, everybody fears him and he knows it.

Well, all the orcs fear him. The balrogs, who are his bosses, have the upper hand on him.

But I agree, 'braggart' is a key component of Gorgol's personality, and that's not at all Boldog, who is more the 'casual violence' type.

At this point in time, he is a young dwarf. So, think Gimli's age - who was 139 during the War of the Ring.

Not a child, but not yet the venerable old dwarf he will be when next we see him.

For the actor, I would say no one younger than 30, maybe? I imagine prosthetics can give the look we want. It may mostly be a matter of swapping out his red beard for a grey beard later.

I think Ange1e4e5 was saying that Gorgol is being described as ‘big, strong and burly’ which means they cannot be a lean, streamlined fighter. I’ve got a couple casting ideas about Gorlim I’ll share soon.

Last edited:
Question about Finduilas: how soon should we introduce her? Surely there's a reason why Gwindor says that only her survival can save Túrin from his fate.

Finduilas was introduced as a young child in the tag of the final episode of Season 4. Her presence shows that Orodreth has healed enough after the death of his mother to start his own family.

Finduilas was introduced as a young child in the tag of the final episode of Season 4. Her presence shows that Orodreth has healed enough after the death of his mother to start his own family.
Well, I guess being introduced as an adult, with a betrothal to Gwindor by the Nirnaeth.

Should we wait to cast Finduilas and Gwindor?

Yes, we should wait until Season 7 to cast Gwindor and Finduilas. Adult Finduilas has made multiple appearances, but as a minor background character. We will know more about her when we tell her story.

The deadline hasn't been set yet. Keep in mind that we have not yet had the opportunity to announce the opening of nominations on the podcast yet - so far, the announcement has only been made here on the forums.

Back