Session 6-22: Casting

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to 2023 in Silm Film! Session 6-22 will be held on Thursday January 5th at 10 PM Eastern. We will be discussing casting for Season 6, looking at which characters should be cast this season, and discussing general criteria for each of them. This is not the time to suggest particular actors for the roles, but is the preliminary work that goes into preparing to nominate actors at a later time.

Haakon has described this part of the process as follows:
Then we probably will have a podcast session in which we go through various ideas about possible characters, and make firmer decisions. We try to decide things that give a clearer sense of what kind of actor or actress we are looking for. This will happen quite a long way into the season. After that, the casting search will probably become more intense.

Many characters appearing in this season were already cast in prior seasons. So, be sure to check the existing cast lists before suggesting new names.

Characters We Should Definitely Cast
Beren
Baragund
Belegund
Gorlim
Eilinel
Gorgol the Butcher
Two Dwarves of Belegost
Voice of Huan

Characters We Can Cast If We Want To
Zirak - save for later?
Edrahil
Enedrion
Inglor
Gwindor - save for later?
Finduilas - save for later?
Gil-Galad
Vanwa (Deadwë)
Farastar (Fëanorian)
Young Rian
Young Morwen
Voice of crows
Voice of eagles besides Thorondor

Last edited:
Remind me what Farastar's role is?

If we're going to cast Gwindor before The Children of Húrin, we're running out of time before the Nirnaeth.

Also, anyone for the Frame? Or will it be unnecessary?

We should be good for the Frame - we have already cast Elrond, Arwen, Elladan and Elrohir, Gilraen, and teen Aragorn.

Agreed, Gwindor needs to be cast either now or next season.

Farastar is a Fëanorian under Celegorm who remains in Nargothrond when Celegorm and Curufin are booted.

When it comes to Morwen, how much time are we putting in between this episode and Húrin's return from Gondolin? If it isn't much time (say a couple years), we could cast her early and use her actor for at least this season up to the first half of The Children of Húrin.

If I remember correctly, for human characters we need to show at different life stages (eg. Morwen), wasn't the casting of all 'versions' done at the same time so that there could be synergy between the younger and older versions? (I'm thinking Andreth, for example). Morwen might fit into that category. We will only need one Rian, alas (for Rian). We will also need younger and older Hurin and Huor. (possibly three actors for Hurin, two for Huor, unless we can get away with ageing makeup for Post-Morgoth-capture Hurin).

I guess I'm suggesting we hold off casting Morwen actors until Season 7 as we will be doing with Hurin.

If I remember correctly, for human characters we need to show at different life stages (eg. Morwen), wasn't the casting of all 'versions' done at the same time so that there could be synergy between the younger and older versions? (I'm thinking Andreth, for example). Morwen might fit into that category. We will only need one Rian, alas (for Rian). We will also need younger and older Hurin and Huor. (possibly three actors for Hurin, two for Huor, unless we can get away with ageing makeup for Post-Morgoth-capture Hurin).

I guess I'm suggesting we hold off casting Morwen actors until Season 7 as we will be doing with Hurin.
She's going to be close to the same age as in Season 7, give or take a couple years.

Can we give Farastar another name? One from the Books? Ailios, Ufedhin or Gereth are unused so far afair...

I am not opposed to altering the name. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be easily confused with Celegorm and Curufin, since that was who he has scenes with. I was merely letting you know where to find the character. I am aware that the name Farastar wasn't coined by Tolkien. But what is the objection to it?

Nothing. What is it supposed to mean? Hunt... stand... something?

I am just interested in having some background or tertiary characters who might reappear and are given names be somewhat recognizeable, if they get names from our unused names for possible extras list i am even happier.

Last edited:

I am just interested in having some background or tertiary characters who might reappear and are given names be somewhat recognizeable, if they get names from our unused names for pissible extras list i am even happier.

Quenya for "king of the hunt"?

More generically 'one who hunts', but yes, as a nod to his being one of Celegorm's people.

We will need to recast her for season 8 then?
The second half of Season 8 since there's going to be a 20-year time skip in between points where we last see her (Túrin goes to Doriath, Morwen stays behind and isn't seen again until she and Nienor decide to leave for Doriath... and Túrin is already gone).

Also, Edrahil and Enedrion are companions of Finrod?
They are brothers and they are also Noldor elves who were born in Nargothrond - so relatively youthful. They were with Finrod when Barahir rescued them but their father (unnamed) was killed in that battle.

I am just interested in having some background or tertiary characters who might reappear and are given names be somewhat recognizeable, if they get names from our unused names for possible extras list i am even happier.
As the one who created Farastar for what was at the time a very minor role as mostly an exposition device, I didn't really think he was large enough to warrant using an existing name (nor had we approved this in any meeting). But since it seems his role has increased beyond that initial scope (though I cannot find mention of it in the script outlines, perhaps someone could direct me to that?), if we want to rename him to something existing I'm open to having that discussion. (The name Farastar is Marie's invention - initially I had named him Cemendil - earth-lover - but we thought it might be confusing to ad a third C-name to that plotline.)

As the one who created Farastar for what was at the time a very minor role as mostly an exposition device, I didn't really think he was large enough to warrant using an existing name (nor had we approved this in any meeting). But since it seems his role has increased beyond that initial scope (though I cannot find mention of it in the script outlines, perhaps someone could direct me to that?), if we want to rename him to something existing I'm open to having that discussion. (The name Farastar is Marie's invention - initially I had named him Cemendil - earth-lover - but we thought it might be confusing to ad a third C-name to that plotline.)

Given that the "-tar" element usually means [High-]king it might be advisable. Still there is Aranwë too, who is not a ruling royal but only a nobleman too and has a "kingly" name, so maybe that is not a big problem... Maybe Farastar's parents just happened to have been fervent devotees of Oromë or something...

Last edited:
Back