Weapon & Armor systems; Tactical Styles in Middle Earth

Obviously there are differences, but the tactics can be similar under some circumstances. You still need bodies in the way to prevent the opponent from encircling or getting through your lines.
I was thinking of using defense in a more “offensive” way, where the defenders (mainly the line or the linebackers) try and pressure/sack/hit the quarterback.

Edit: had to remove the clip, it’s blocked outside of YouTube.

Last edited:
Maybe...

Formation fighting is so goddam hard to reenact... bevause it is SO dangerous... i mean... if you see such a bunch of guys in full armour in formation marching... you want to run!

I was thinking of using defense in a more “offensive” way, where the defenders (mainly the line or the linebackers) try and pressure/sack/hit the quarterback.

Edit: had to remove the clip, it’s blocked outside of YouTube.

The reason it works is because football defense IS offense. The team that is on the "offensive" is trying to defend their flanks and center long enough for the quarterback to get rid of the ball before he gets crushed.

So this video came out quite recently from a channel devoted to cinematic swordfighting scenes using realistic techniques.

The plot is obviously a contrivance to get the characters into combat, but the fight itself is quite good, and gives a good idea of what I would love to see in our show. Another thing the video demonstrates is the effectiveness of armored and highly skilled fighters on the battlefield.

Has anyone seen the Netflix movie The King? About Henry V. Imho they had some pretty good fighting and battle scenes.

An interesting look at spear vs. sword.

I know we kind of expect to see a lot of sword-wielding in our battles, but there is a reason why the spear is the most commonly used primary weapon in history.

Yeah, right, the sword also usually is a sidearm.

I have noted thatvelves and orcs use two different types of spear, the elves use a long, slender speartype, the orcs a broadbladed type, like viking spears, which looked almost like shortswords attached to a pole and were suited for cutting and slashing in contrast to obly stabbing or poking.

Also interesting are considerations sword or long sword vs scimitar or sabre, because that is the usual orc vs elf constellation with blades. Or scimitar vs mail and scale...

Yeah, right, the sword also usually is a sidearm.

I have noted thatvelves and orcs use two different types of spear, the elves use a long, slender speartype, the orcs a broadbladed type, like viking spears, which looked almost like shortswords attached to a pole and were suited for cutting and slashing in contrast to obly stabbing or poking.

Also interesting are considerations sword or long sword vs scimitar or sabre, because that is the usual orc vs elf constellation with blades. Or scimitar vs mail and scale...

I remember reading about broad-bladed Orc spears. I'm having trouble recalling any description of Elvish spears.

Then why are the swords of the Noldor talked about more often? They’re not described as wielding spears.

... and in that time the Noldor began the smithying of swords and axes and spears.

... for Celegorm rode upon him with a spear.

For unsummoned and unlooked for Turgon had opened the leaguer of Gondolin, and was come with an army ten thousand strong, with bright mail and long swords and spears like a forest.

I mean, they are. Swords are talked about more often in pretty much every piece of literature because they are, for lack of a better term, sexier. But throughout history and throughout the world, the spear has been the primary weapon in almost every case prior to the existence of gunpowder. Even after firearms were invented the spear, in the form of the pike, still played a major role. And later, bayonets were given to musket-bearing soldiers so they could turn their musket into a spear. Modern soldiers from all over the world still carry bayonets for this purpose.

What sort of technique are we using? Spear and shield hoplite-style? Two-handed thrusting weapon? Like a quarterstaff ala Oberyn Martell?

What sort of technique are we using? Spear and shield hoplite-style? Two-handed thrusting weapon? Like a quarterstaff ala Oberyn Martell?

Spear and shield are the most likely combination, though not always like a Greek phalanx. Perhaps you will recall that hoplite formation is how the Fëanoreans trained in Formenos and fought in the Second Battle.

The other Noldor have been less organized than that up until this point, but are probably still resting primarily on a spear and shield combo. They also all probably have swords as backup weapons or sidearms (worn while not geared for war).

Back