Eglarest and Brithombar

Discussion in 'Season 3' started by Haakon, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Haakon

Haakon Administrator Staff Member

Ah, yes, they would probably leave the seaside end of the port open, thinking it is protected by Ulmo or detested by the enemy.

Faelivrin and Haerangil like this.
  2. Haakon

But I'm not sure I like the maps, because Círdan would choose a place where you could see far into the west, and the two places indicated by the maps are shielded from the west by capes... I think Círdan would have chosen a place close to where it says Barad Nimras is.

3. Haerangil

Haerangil Well-Known Member

not necessarily true... as the hilly part might be higher so you can watch far above the cape... I guess Cirdan would live in a Tower or in the uptown in that case...

Faelivrin likes this.
  4. Haakon

Fair enough. Just as long as he can look to the west and remember seeing the disappearing Tol Eressëa.

Haerangil likes this.
  5. Haerangil

Haerangil Well-Known Member

How large do we imagine both towns?

I've seen estimations for the demography of beleriand which calculated that up to 30.000 elves could have lived in each town... though i guess not all of them in the town itself as there could have been many small dwellings and manors along the coast , and inland along the rivers and in the hills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a bit too mediterranean for my taste, but i#m not so much interested in the architecture of both, but more in the general setting of the town and it#s walls..

6. Haakon

The setting of the lower one looks good.

Faelivrin likes this.
  7. Haakon

Here's a picture from the coast of Portugal again. I was there a few days ago. This is a small beach (to the right) surrounded by cliffs. The beach was at the end of a long valley stretching northward from the coast. In this example, I believe there was just a small stream in the valley but it could just as well have been a broad river. [​IMG]

The same beach:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yeah the small stream sort of died before reaching the sea.

Another beach: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Haakon

This could be the place where Elwing casts herself into the sea.
    [​IMG]

9. Nicholas Palazzo

Nicholas Palazzo Well-Known Member

Is it just me that can't see these pictures?

10. Haakon

Hm... Don’t know what’s wrong. I could see them on my computer but now on my iPhone I just see [​IMG]

11. Nicholas Palazzo

Yeah. That's what I'm seeing, too.

12. Haakon

As I said, I did see it earlier on my computer. What browser are you using?

13. Nicholas Palazzo

Right now, I'm using Chrome, but I've had the same problem across the board.

14. Haakon

Ok, that’s weird because I saw the pictures using chrome before.

15. Nicholas Palazzo

Is it possible that this was so because you already have the picture files on your computer?

16. Haakon

Can you see this?

Attached Files:

MithLuin likes this.
  17. Haakon

No I didn’t but I do have them on Google Photos

18. Nicholas Palazzo

I can, and it is gorgeous.

Haerangil and Haakon like this.
  19. Haakon

Great! That’s the cliff I thought Elwing could cast herself into the ocean from.

Faelivrin and MithLuin like this.
  20. MithLuin

MithLuin Well-Known Member

Cadiz is one of the longest continually inhabited sites in Europe, so it might be a good model for the ports of Brithombar/Eglarest. It's at the entrance to Mediterranean on the coast of Spain.

Map:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, it's possible to have that arm of land stretching out to protect the bay be the part where you build your town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am not by any means suggesting that we film there. Nothing about the place would be helpful to this project (I don't think). Well, that's not true. There's a Tolkien artist who lives there (Joe Gilronan). But as far as the map goes...I think it offers some interesting possibilities.

Faelivrin likes this.