Feanoreans

To understand the 'evilness' of the Fëanoreans, one has to have the perspective that they very much think they are in the right, but they are willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to follow through on the Oath, and they are not messing around about that at all.

Westley: "Give us the gate key."
Yellin: "I have no gate key."
Inigo: "Fezzik, tear his arms off."
Yellin: "OH, YOU MEAN THIS GATE KEY?"

Obviously, that scene is played for humor. At no point in the film do we ever see Fezzik do anything as violent as tearing a person's arm off. He accidentally hits the albino man so hard he is knocked unconscious, but that's about it. However...the threat works because it is very much believable that he is not only capable of that but also has probably done things like that before.

Fëanor uses threats like that and means them.

Maedhros uses threats like that, banking on the person thinking better of it and handing over the requested item. But for whatever reason, the threats don't quite work out as planned, and the Fëanoreans are put in a position of being shown to be bluffing....or following through on their threat. And as everyone knows, you should never make threats you don't intend to carry out. They always choose the latter, which is why you would *think* that people would learn. But no.

Prince Humperdink: "I knew he was bluffing!"

Yeah...that didn't work out so well for Olwë. Or Finrod. Or Dior. Or Elwing.

I cannot tell you how much the phrase "whatever it takes" chills me. That one phrase has set so many good people up to do so much evil...

Maybe this guy...Julian Morris...could play Curufin...? (getting desperate)
images
upload_2017-4-6_11-13-23.jpeg

As Ange has said somewhere, Harry Lloyd is a possible choice. Not perfect, but I'm beginning to think there is no such alternative...
images

Don't get too desperate - we have a year to figure this out, and certainly a makeup department can emphasize the look-alike status rather than diminish it.
I cannot tell you how much the phrase "whatever it takes" chills me. That one phrase has set so many good people up to do so much evil...

Yes. It removes all the restrictions, so that any action becomes permissible, so long as it is in service of the stated goal. When the commentators telling this story say that the Oath is one that 'none should take,' they don't just mean that it's frowned upon to swear in the name of Ilúvatar (for serious matters, you can) - it's that Fëanor put in the ultimate restriction...about being banished to the Void if they should fail. Given that consequence, all the 'neither law, nor love, nor league of swords' shall defend someone who tries to take a silmaril business becomes very serious. It shouldn't really surprise anyone that the Oath led to the Kinslaying.

And the Oath is definitely pre-meditated. For one thing, Fëanor doesn't just swear it himself. So, if 8 people recite something in unison, either they did a call-and-response, or they all had it memorized and ready to go. I'm assuming that Fëanor had it planned, and informed them, at least, before leaving for Tirion. [But I suppose we can discuss logistics later.]

Another phrase that I consider extremely dangerous is the line, "There's still time to change the road you're on," from 'Stairway to Heaven.' While it is maybe encouraging to think about the fact that people can change their courses in life, the idea of lulling someone into thinking they could always change...later... is completely diabolical.

Then there is a part of the internet that deals with Armitage and this young man:
images

You will never sell me on Rheon as Curufin. Never. I have a very visceral negative reaction to the entire idea. Among other things, he's not nearly pretty enough for a Son of Fëanor.

(You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion in the matter.)
Sorry Ange, but I'm with MithLuin on this one. I'd love to see him cast somewhere, perhaps as a villain, but with different motivations than his GoT character. I could actually see him playing a great Gorlim? That's based on looks and maybe 2 clips of GoT I've seen (I don't watch the show: a) no HBO and b) Grr Martin depresses the crap outta me.)

...stop me....!
Ben Aldridge? British actor...Not too bad, there is actually some similarity...!
images
This one might actually be my favorite so far!

Sorry Ange, but I'm with MithLuin on this one. I'd love to see him cast somewhere, perhaps as a villain, but with different motivations than his GoT character. I could actually see him playing a great Gorlim? That's based on looks and maybe 2 clips of GoT I've seen (I don't watch the show: a) no HBO and b) Grr Martin depresses the crap outta me.)

This one might actually be my favorite so far!
You know, all that stuff with Grr Martin makes me think he could write a pretty good screenplay for The Children of Hurin.

You know, all that stuff with Grr Martin makes me think he could write a pretty good screenplay for The Children of Hurin.
I could see it! It might not quite capture the "redemptive quality of suffering/tragedy" that Tolkien has, but he wouldn't wiff on anything!

There wasn't much on redemptive quality of suffering/tragedy in The Children of Hurin. But I digress.

Maybe we have Iwan Rheon as an Orc commander? Someone really good with torture?
We certainly could... but would that be a waste of his talents? We don't have any named orc commanders, that I can recall, until the 3rd Age. We might want to use him before that, or for more than a minor OC role.

But for now, I'll just say I want to see him cast, just not as a Feanorean.

And as for Ben Aldridge... Haakon embedded his IMDB page url in his name. I didn't recognize anything, but maybe y'all that watch a lot more TV than I do will have opinions.

And as for Ben Aldridge... Haakon embedded his IMDB page url in his name. I didn't recognize anything, but maybe y'all that watch a lot more TV than I do will have opinions.
He's done a lot of television, it seems. I haven't seen the shows he's been in or at least don't remember doing so, but I've heard about a couple of them and they are quality shows.

I have to disagree here. The whole point of the story seems to me to be that no matter what Morgoth can do to Hurin & Fam. in life, he ultimately has no power over them. Hurin, Morwen, Turin, and Nienor all escape his clutches forever.
Was going to let that go, as this thread is about Feanor's kids, not Hurin's, but well said!

So... right now I'm picturing this set of brothers:
Maedhros:upload_2017-4-10_10-31-22.jpeg Maglor:
index.php
Celegorm:
images

Caranthir:
index.php
Curufin:
images
Amrod+Amras:
index.php

I generally like that arrangment, but that Caranthir stands out to me. Doesn't really look like a brother to the rest of them. Which... could work?

It might just be the photograph, but his face looks more square-ish than rectangular, like the rest of them.

I have to agree. Both Cooper and Berdy look like their faces have been squashed into squares, compared to the others.

Of course, if we need identical twins with longer faces and reddish hair, there's always these two:

(That photo is from 2011; they're now 30 years old.)
This is mean, but I just don't think the Phelps twins are handsome enough to be elves. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but... I think I prefer Kevin Zeger and Zac Efron, as Carlia suggested, for the twins. At least from the faces I've seen so far...

Back