Session 3.09 - S3 Ep 4: Khazad Ai Menu

Ok personally I must confess (but my feelings aren’t super strong about this) the idea that the Dwarves awoke along a specific longitude doesn’t give me any special kind of thrill... I wouldn’t fight using it but I don’t see the reason for the two dwarven peoples to move from their place of origin. The idea creates the necessity to invent ad hoc theories when we instead could just assume that they awoke where they are, which is a good place and a place where Aulë could have put them.

One way or another... It doesn't solve the problem that we do gave some inconsistensies about the exact placing of mt dolmed and rhe two cities...

Ok personally I must confess (but my feelings aren’t super strong about this) the idea that the Dwarves awoke along a specific longitude doesn’t give me any special kind of thrill... I wouldn’t fight using it but I don’t see the reason for the two dwarven peoples to move from their place of origin. The idea creates the necessity to invent ad hoc theories when we instead could just assume that they awoke where they are, which is a good place and a place where Aulë could have put them.

My vote is for simplifying this. Either they awoke where they are, or it isn't specifically addressed. There is no reason I can think of for making a big deal of this on screen.

My vote is for simplifying this. Either they awoke where they are, or it isn't specifically addressed. There is no reason I can think of for making a big deal of this on screen.
I agree. The Fathers just sort of wandering until they find new digs isn't exactly a riveting tale. Furthermore, we have to have Durin do it (even if we only ever reference the tale, or show it in flashback), so we need to give him a reason/purpose/drive, and that would lose some of its epic power if the other Fathers did the same thing.

We certainly aren't going to sit down for a dwarf origin story in this episode. I can only see the 'awakening' coming up later, when someone is visiting a dwarf friend in a dwarf city, and asks a question like, 'Have your people always been here?' or exclaims ignorantly, 'You must have been here since the beginning of Arda to have carved all of this out of the mountain!'

Back