Amazon series: reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

Which one of his uncles? There's six to choose from, one of which is known to be still alive (Maglor).
Maglor is cool, conflicted and disillusioned, but I personally would not like to see him as a main villain. But as Dior is not included in the Amazon series anyway, him having killed just two instead of three Feanorians (from Celegorm, Curufin and Caranthir) at once would be imho a feasible change.

Last edited:
Apparently we’re getting a teaser trailer on Sunday-Monday (depending on your location). I have to confess, I’m a little bit scared that i won’t like it.

It definitely wasn't an accident that Tolkien had all of the sons of Fëanor killed by other elves, particularly related to attempts to fulfill the Oath. None of them are killed by Morgoth or the forces of Angband, anyway - they are at most wounded in the Nirnaeth. And Maglor survived, but only after repudiating the Oath.

So I really would not want to see any of them forced or twisted to serve Morgoth. Not that you can't, but it is simply not their story.

It definitely wasn't an accident that Tolkien had all of the sons of Fëanor killed by other elves, particularly related to attempts to fulfill the Oath. None of them are killed by Morgoth or the forces of Angband, anyway - they are at most wounded in the Nirnaeth. And Maglor survived, but only after repudiating the Oath.

So I really would not want to see any of them forced or twisted to serve Morgoth. Not that you can't, but it is simply not their story.

This would be not Morgoth but Sauron. And Sauron manipulates - any of them could consider himself a free agent while being played by him. And could still get killed by an elf (maybe even Celebrimbor himself) in the end. I would rather have one of the Feanorians represent the evil potential of the elves than force any of the Galadriel's brothers into it - which would destroy of their own stories. (And I do find Dior having to kill three of the Feanorians at once quite a waste of drama. Killing one or two is imho enough for a Peredhel who himself was never to Valinor to establish his reputation as a valiant hero.)

Last edited:
This is all complicated by Tolkiens very explicit assertion in Nature of Middle Earth material that no elf ever served Morgoth willingly - no one went to the dark side voluntarily.

This is all complicated by Tolkiens very explicit assertion in Nature of Middle Earth material that no elf ever served Morgoth willingly - no one went to the dark side voluntarily.
Serving? Maeglin for sure did. He might not have genuinly sworn fealty to Morgoth but he did serve him at least in the act of his betrayal of Gondolin - even if partially for his own reasons.

Serving? Maeglin for sure did. He might not have genuinly sworn fealty to Morgoth but he did serve him at least in the act of his betrayal of Gondolin - even if partially for his own reasons.
Maeglin was tortured and had the spell of bottomless dread placed on him - not exactly voluntary. Tolkiens point is that no Elf ever worshipped Morgoth. No rejection of Eru

From what I read in the interview with Tom Shippey, Amazon is not allowed to differ from the source material, where something is explicit (such as the death of most of the elves mentioned above) but also still does not have the rights to material outside of the LOTR books themselves, so are limited in the second age to what is actually mentioned within the Appendices and within the story itself. I'm not 100% sure (I haven't had my LOTR books in a couple of years; someone borrowed my box set :rolleyes:) but I think these clauses combined eliminate almost all of the characters being discussed (aside from maybe Maglor, whose fate is kind of vague; though I believe he's said to walk the shores singing forever.) from being this new character.

Maeglin was tortured and had the spell of bottomless dread placed on him - not exactly voluntary. Tolkiens point is that no Elf ever worshipped Morgoth. No rejection of Eru

Yes, but is this necessary for being a pawn of use to Sauron? Not necessarily so imho.
aside from maybe Maglor, whose fate is kind of vague; though I believe he's said to walk the shores singing forever.) from being this new character.

As this was in a tale from the First Age, him getting captured later is not impossible, but still I think this quite out of Maglor's character to be manipulated into such a role.

I think it would be an unecessary twist and i probably won't like it. Lore or not lore, canon or not. It doesn't sound like a good story to me.

More speculation on pictures: heard that 11 or 13 might be Tyra or May, a proto-hobbit girl... and the Meteor man who might be Evil could be "Daric" , whoever that may be..

Last edited:
Just to update the picture speculations:

1-dwarf queen 2- Durin 3-Galadriel 4-Gil-Galad 5-Elrond/Beldor?
6-Kari?/Hennah? A middle-earth native farmer or traveling woman 7-Celebrimbor 8? 9? 10? 11-Tyra? May? A proto-hobbit girl?
12? 13-Tyra?/Branna? Tyra's sister also a proto-hobbit-girl 14-"Hamsom"? Proto-hobbit chieftain, branna and tyras father, 15-"Cora"? Hamsoms wife, branna and tyras mither, 16-Isildur/Cole 17-Telperien?
18-carine, isildurs sister 19 20-Daric?/Meteorman 21-Pharazon 22-Elendil/Loda 23-Adar/Oren, fallen elf

I think it would be an unecessary twist and i probably won't like it. Lore or not lore, canon or not. It doesn't sound like a good story to me.
Here I cannot agee. Maglor I do love for himself, so I would not like to see him used this way, but such an usage of him would serve to externalise Celebrimbor's inner conflict as an "ex"-Feanorian and as such make it easier displayable to the audience - so I do see an added value to the story - I just personaly would not like it as it imho does Maglor a disservice, not to the story.

This would be not Morgoth but Sauron. And Sauron manipulates - any of them could consider himself a free agent while being played by him. And could still get killed by an elf (maybe even Celebrimbor himself) in the end. I would rather have one of the Feanorians represent the evil potential of the elves than force any of the Galadriel's brothers into it - which would destroy of their own stories. (And I do find Dior having to kill three of the Feanorians at once quite a waste of drama. Killing one or two is imho enough for a Peredhil who himself was never to Valinor to establish his reputation as a valiant hero.)
I would at the least have Dior kill Celegorm when the time comes in SilmFilm; there's a definite personal angle there on Celegorm's end.

Now i know these things might be misleading...but looking at presumed actor portraits and posters side by side:
Celebrimbor seems to be played by a much older actor than i had imagined! Especially considering he Is younger than Galadriel!

On the presumed hobbit girls May and Tyra: both are lightskinned european actresses, i doubt they will be Hamsoms and Coras children if these are played by Lenny Henry and Maxine Cunliffe, two dark skinned actors.

The Meteor-man has very dark hands, somehow i doubt those are Daniel Weymans!

I find it thrilling Eira, Durin's Queen will be played by a dark skinned actress, so she will possibly a princess of the blacklocks! However then she cant be the Mother of the younger Durin as both presumed Durin actors are european looking guys.

Another thing i realized: almost all presumed Numenorean actors are very european looking people, except for Cynthia Addai-Robinson of whom some people believe she will play Asta/Miriel, her supposed father Palantir/Sarador is who people believe Geoff Morell!

Either she doesn't play the part or i wonder if they do something to her ancestry like have her mother be from Harad.

I know, angle and light on those posters might give wrong impressions, but still..

I would at the least have Dior kill Celegorm when the time comes in SilmFilm; there's a definite personal angle there on Celegorm's end.

;-) I'll say, let Nimloth kill at least one of them. Let her not just stand there being slaughtered.

Now i know these things might be misleading...but looking at presumed actor portraits and posters side by side:
Celebrimbor seems to be played by a much older actor than i had imagined! Especially considering he Is younger than Galadriel!

On the presumed hobbit girls May and Tyra: both are lightskinned european actresses, i doubt they will be Hamsoms and Coras children if these are played by Lenny Henry and Maxine Cunliffe, two dark skinned actors.

The Meteor-man has very dark hands, somehow i doubt those are Daniel Weymans!

I find it thrilling Eira, Durin's Queen will be played by a dark skinned actress, so she will possibly a princess of the blacklocks! However then she cant be the Mother of the younger Durin as both presumed Durin actors are european looking guys.

Another thing i realized: almost all presumed Numenorean actors are very european looking people, except for Cynthia Addai-Robinson of whom some people believe she will play Asta/Miriel, her supposed father Palantir/Sarador is who people believe Geoff Morell!

Either she doesn't play the part or i wonder if they do something to her ancestry like have her mother be from Harad.

I know, angle and light on those posters might give wrong impressions, but still..
I had a similar reaction regarding the Celebrimbor actor. Still, it’s somehow reassuring to me that they wanted a little older and quite serious man for the job, known for a rather down to earth acting style. It says something about what they want to do with the series. But who knows, perhaps he doesn’t look that old in the show?
What is your rumour source? I mainly follow Fellowship of Fans.

Fellowship of fans, yes! But not only...
Actually i can't remember who said the rumor was meteorman/Daric is played by Daniel Weyman, Asta/Miriel by Cynthia Addai-Robinson or Celebrimbor by Charles Edwards. I believe quite a lot of these might be untrue or speculative fan theories at best. Oren/Adar, Galadriel, Pharazon and Isildur i believe are very certain though!

I’m pretty sure about Charles Edwards, as well as Daniel Weyman and Owain Arthur (Durin). That info is from FoF who seem to have very good contacts.

Good Morning America today (Aus/NZ/JPN)/tomorrow (USA) will apparently have a little something to share, according to Justin from theonering.net

Back