Concerns About Season Four

Marielle

I'm really starting to doubt the idea we can get to the Battle of Sudden Flame in 13 episodes. I know the execs keep joking that this season is "Of Beleriand and its Realms" season, but honestly. We have to rescue Maedhros and establish the new equilibrium between the Feanoreans and the other Noldor, put up the leaguer of Angband, create the various Noldo kingdoms and their relationships with the outside world, have the Sindar learn of the kinslaying, and introduce Men. That's if we don't have any dwarf or petty-dwarf storylines.

I have another concern, this one about character and story, and their relative impacts. Aegnor and Andreth is one of our big love stories, but so much of its impact depends upon the audience -- and the characters -- understanding the different natures of men and elves. If we're introducing this storyline before that sinks in, I'm afraid a lot would be lost. If we, for example, introduce Andreth an episode after Beor dies, I'm concerned it won't have sinked in to the elven characters or the audience (also, that would give us, what, five episodes tops to tell the love story?).

I'm open for discussion here, but I really am starting to think we should end season 4 sometime around Beor's death, so that the natures of men and elves becomes a theme of the show from then out. I know that's not a particularly action-y climax, and having Aegnor and Andreth as a focus of season 5 could make Beren and Luthien in season 6 seem repetitive, but I worry we'll lose too much if we rush to the Sudden Flame.

Last edited:
I agree that we should be concerned.

I copied a timeline from the Tolkien Gateway. It doesn't cover everything in any particular detail (and I cut out a few births of Men). But just these things roughly and arbitrarily clustered would easily make up 13 episodes.

1 Men awake in Hildórien.
2 Fingolfin camps beside Lake Mithrim.
5 Fingon rescues Maedhros from Thangorodrim, Fingolfin becomes High King of the Noldor in Beleriand.

6 Thingol grants permission for the Noldor to occupy the Northlands.
7 The Noldor hold a council. The Sons of Fëanor relocate to East Beleriand.
20 The Feast of Mereth Aderthad.
50 Ulmo grants visions of hidden places to Finrod and Turgon.

52 Nulukkizdîn‎ discovered by Finrod and begins to construct Nargothrond.
53 Hidden valley of Tumladen discovered by Turgon.

60 Dagor Aglareb ("The Glorious Battle"), Siege of Angband begins.
Minas Tirith constructed.

64 Turgon removes his people from Nevrast to Tumladen, construction of Gondolin.
65 Brithombar and Eglarest constructed.

66 Thingol learns of the Silmarils from Galadriel.
67 Thingol learns of the Kinslaying at Alqualondë, Quenya forbidden in Beleriand.
102 Nargothrond completed.
116 Gondolin completed.
150 Caranthir meets with the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains.

155 Orcs from Lammoth attack Hithlum.
260 Glaurung defeated in Ard-galen, Long Peace begins.

262 Birth of Bëor.
282 Birth of Marach.
289 Birth of Baran.
307 Birth of Malach.
310 Men of the House of Bëor enter Beleriand and are discovered by Finrod.
311 Finrod leaves with Bëor. Baran leads the House of Bëor.

312 The Haladin enter Beleriand.
313 Marach enters Beleriand.
316 Birth of Beldir, Aredhel leaves Gondolin and weds Eöl.
320 Birth of Maeglin.

322 Malach settles in Hithlum.
336 Malach leaves Hithlum.
355 Death of Bëor.
359 Birth of Bregor.
361 Birth of Andreth.
365 Births of Hathol and Beril.
366 Birth of Haldan.
369 Bereg leads a thousand people southwards.
375 Deaths of Haldad and Haldar.
376 Death of Marach.
398 Death of Malach.
400 Aredhel and Maeglin return to Gondolin and is secretly followed by Eöl. Eöl kills Aredhel and is then executed.
Birth of Barahir.
402 Battle of Aglon Pass.

405 Hador enters the service of Fingolfin.
409 Birth of Brandir, conversation of Finrod and Andreth.
410 Ladros is given to the House of Bëor.

415 Birth of Glóredhel.
416 The House of Hador is given the lands of Dor-lómin to dwell in.
420 Death of Haleth. Birth of Hareth and Baragund. Hador dwells in Hithlum.
422 Forest of Brethil given to the House of Haleth. Belegund born.
432 Birth of Beren Erchamion
436 Galdor weds Hareth.
441 Birth of Húrin and Handir.
443 Birth of Morwen and Hunleth.
444 Birth of Huor.
450 Birth of Rían.
451 Death of Haldan.

455 Morgoth breaks the Siege of Angband, Dagor Bragollach ("Battle of Sudden Flame"). Deaths of Fingolfin, Angrod, Aegnor, Hador, Gundor, and Bregolas,Fingon becomes High King of the Noldor, Gil-galad sent to the Falas
456 Death of Fingolfin in single combat with Morgoth.
Death of Gundor.
Emeldir, wife of Barahir, leads their people out of Dorthonion to Brethil.

I'm open for discussion here, but I really am starting to think we should end season 4 sometime around Beor's death, so that the natures of men and elves becomes a theme of the show from then out. I know that's not a particularly action-y climax, and having Aegnor and Andreth as a focus of season 5 could make Beren and Luthien in season 6 seem repetitive, but I worry we'll lose too much if we rush to the Sudden Flame.
Perhaps we could end the season with Aredhel and Maeglin leaving Nan Elmoth?

Holy Cow. I had forgotten the Maeglin story happens then, too!

Yes, Aredhel and Maeglin's flight is a good ending. We could, maybe?, tie it in with the death of Beor, if we want to hint at the "escape" part of man's fate so early on.

Personally, I would push for S04 ending earlier than that, with men coming into our story in the beginning of S05. Introduction of protagonist characters can come within the first few episodes of a season, or in the last (generally as a tease for the next season). Otherwise, we won't care enough about them through the climax of the season.

I might want to push Aredhel and Maeglin's flight to season 5, if only to convey how long she/they were trapped in Nam Elmoth. And to give her time in Gondolin in which to become restless. Her desire to leave seems less sympathetic if she's only been there for a week.

Personally, I would push for S04 ending earlier than that, with men coming into our story in the beginning of S05. Introduction of protagonist characters can come within the first few episodes of a season, or in the last (generally as a tease for the next season). Otherwise, we won't care enough about them through the climax of the season.
I could see that. But I could also see us incorporating the arrival of men with the establishment of the elven status-quo in Beleriand, though that requires tweaking (read: abusing) the timeline.

I can see that, or ending with Finrod meeting Men.

Pushing it that early would also make it easier to avoid problems concerning the upcoming seasons

I could see that. But I could also see us incorporating the arrival of men with the establishment of the elven status-quo in Beleriand, though that requires tweaking (read: abusing) the timeline.

I mean, if you want to bring Men into Beleriand within the first 2-3 episodes, that could work for purposes of pacing, but I'd want to be real careful about potential Butterfly Effect issues. Crunching the timeline had a bunch of repercussions this season (and last) which I'd rather not repeat.

And, if we do delay the arrival of men but are willing to be a *little* bit loose with chronology, we could set the death of Beor in the same episode as Andreth and Aegnor meeting. Setting up the doom right away.

Edited to Add: We probably can't get away with this, but preferably I'd like a season in-between Aegnor and Andreth and Beren and Luthien, so it doesn't seem repetitive.

I share your concerns with what is currently meant to be the Season 4 timeline.

I would like to either split it up into two seasons or else have a long season 4 (with 22 episodes at least).

I think that the theme of the first part would have to be Sindar-Noldor relations, and thus the climax would have to be Thingol learning the truth of the Kinslaying and issuing his ban. Eol and Aredhel's story fits in this season, then.

The second half of the story would then be about the introduction of Men. We can have Finrod meet Beor in Season 4, but all of the stories like Haleth and Andreth would need to be in the subsequent season.

Holy Cow. I had forgotten the Maeglin story happens then, too!

Yes, Aredhel and Maeglin's flight is a good ending. We could, maybe?, tie it in with the death of Beor, if we want to hint at the "escape" part of man's fate so early on.
Not sure if we can correlate that. Beor’s death and Aredhel and Maeglin’s flight are separated by about 50 years.

Hence why I said we'd have to be a little loose with the chronology. Even if they aren't in the same episode, we can use a color motif or musical tone to connect them.

Following up on Haakon's post, we have the this chronology for the First Age from the Grey Annals. The events of the first two years will be covered in Season 3, but the rest of this is currently slated for Season 4.

1 Rising of the Moon and the Sun. Fingolfin reaches Middle-earth.
2 Fingolfin arrives in Mithrim

5 Fingon rescues Maedhros and the Noldor are reunited.
7 Sons of Fëanor leave Mithrim.
20 Fingolfin holds the Feast of Reuniting
52 Finrod begins to build Nargothrond
53 Turgon discovers the site of Gondolin
60 Dagor Aglareb. Morgoth invades Beleriand and is defeated.
64 Turgon begins the building of Gondolin
67 Thingol bans Quenya from Doriath
102 Nargothrond is completed
116 Gondolin is completed
150 Caranthir makes contact with the Dwarves
155 Morgoth attempts to attack Hithlum and is driven off
260 Glaurung invades Ard-galen and is repelled by Fingon
310 Finrod meets Bëor
312 Haladin enter Beleriand
313 People of Marach enter Beleriand
316 Aredhel encounters Eöl
320 Birth of Maeglin
355 Death of Bëor
369 Bereg leads some of the Edain back to the East
375 Haleth becomes chief of the Haladin
376 Haladin settle in Estolad
390 Haladin leave Estolad
400 Aredhel and Maeglin ride to Gondolin. Deaths of Aredhel and Eöl.
410 Boromir of the House of Bëor becomes lord of Ladros in Dorthonion
416 Fingolfin gives Dorlómin to Hador
420 Death of Haleth
432 Birth of Beren
441 Birth of Húrin
443 Birth of Morwen
444 Birth of Huor
455 Dagor Bragollach. Deaths of Angrod and Aegnor.
456 Death of Fingolfin​

There are some obvious issues with trying to cram all of this into 13 Episodes. For one thing, we can't very well cram Maedhros' rescue and the acceptance of Fingolfin as High King into the opening episode, as that is going to look like instant healing even if we use an explicit 'months later' type of time skip. And even if we do so...you can't have the Feast of Reuniting until the 2nd episode, because they can't reunite in the scene immediately after splitting up. So, with the tightest timing we can expect, we're still only setting things up for the Season in Episode 2. This is where I feel the need to remind all of us that we're telling a story, not making a documentary about First Age elves! Because, yes, you're allowed to cram as much as you want into an hour - summarize away! - that's what Tolkien did in the Silmarillion. But you can't expect the viewer to care about any of your characters if you're just throwing them all on the screen through the motions of history. It would seem...very odd to me... to switch back to the broad sweeping overview of vast swaths of history that was Season 1. Season 3 was practically 'real time', and later seasons will be as well.

Some of these events are a bit flexible; others shouldn't be shifted without expecting major repercussions. I will attempt to break up the storylines that we need to cover, though I hesitate to do this without keeping the 'this must happen first' aspects visible. I don't have any planning software on this computer that shows milestones that have to be reached in order to reach other things....

So, for instance, with Eöl and Aredhel and Maeglin... Obviously, she has to depart Gondolin some time well after its founding. She can't be just moving in and then say, 'whelp, I'm bored, time to go.' But, it doesn't have to be precisely 200 years later, either. Similarly, their return to Gondolin doesn't have to happen exactly in FA 400, but it does have to happen long enough afterwards for Maeglin to be more-or-less grown up, and before the Hurin and Huor storyline. So, there's wiggle-room there, but it's not a completely arbitrarily loose item.

We have two major battles in this time frame - Dagor Aglareb, and Dagor Bragollach. It makes sense to split them into the two different seasons. And since they take place almost 400 years apart...that shouldn't be difficult! More difficult to see how we would squeeze them both in....

For the Noldor founding new realms storyline, we have Finrod and Turgon's dreams, which turn into Nargothrond and Gondolin. Of course, Turgon has to found Nevrast before he can do that...

So even just doing the Turgon storyline over 13 episodes, it would look like this:

1) Turgon hates the Fëanoreans and will never accept their leadership. His father Fingolfin claims the High Kingship and makes peace with the Fëanoreans. Turgon is not pleased, even when the Fëanoreans depart to parts east. He never wants to see them again, because he holds them responsible for the death of his wife.

2) Feast of Reuniting - does Turgon go? He has established himself at Nevrast, and while he would be happy to see his father and brother Fingon again, he's sure that some of the trouble-making Fëanoreans will be there. Aredhel urges him to go - she is eager to see her brother and cousins (though secretly disappointed when Celegorm and Curufin do not arrive). We spend this episode establishing the various realms and their interactions with each other, so Nevrast is a part of that. When we establish the court of Nevrast, we introduce Glorfindel and Ecthelion.

3) Turgon and Finrod have dreams from Ulmo. They are CONCERNED, and troubled, and don't know what to do. Finrod goes to visit Galadriel in Menegroth, thinks that is the perfect solution, and Thingol tells him of the caves of Nargothrond which are (nearly) uninhabited. (Petty-dwarf sub-plot.) Finrod sets out to be his own lord of caves. Turgon finds no such solution, and is still troubled. Oh, and Eöl, dissatisfied with life in Doriath, buys Nan Elmoth from Thingol.

4) More help from Ulmo! Don't stay at Nevrast, here's the secret valley in the Encircling Mountains. You'll be safe there (for a time). The construction of Gondolin begins. [This would be the B or C plot of this episode, so something else can be going on - most likely the Dagor Aglareb.]

5) Turgon moves his people to Gondolin secretly, leaving behind a suit of armor in Nevrast per Ulmo's instructions. [Main plot of this episode - Thingol discovers the truth of the Kinslaying, and bans both the speaking of Quenya and the wearing of jewels (pearls excepted) in an attempt to quash Noldor culture.]

6) Life in Gondolin, more establishing of the court there. Aredhel is discontent and restless, feeling hemmed in. She tells Turgon she wants to leave, to go out into the world, and he forbids it, citing the importance of absolute secrecy. [Main plot - Morgoth attacks Hithlum? Caranthir and the dwares?]

7) Nevermind, Aredhel, you can go, but here's a bunch of rules you should follow. She ignores them. She survives Nan Dungortheb, and reaches the lands of the Sons of Fëanor. She is told to wait for them, since they're not there right now... [Main plot - Finrod goes hunting with the Sons of Fëanor and discovers Bëor.]

8) Aredhel gets bored and goes wandering. She gets lost in Nan Elmoth and meets Eöl. She doesn't come back out.

9) Timeskip! Aredhel and Eöl have a teenage son. Everyone there seems unhappy, and he's even more controlling than Turgon was. She plots her escape. [Main plot - Haleth]

10) Aredhel and Maeglin leave Nan Elmoth and return to Gondolin, pursued by Eöl. This does not end well. [B-plot: establishing the realms of Men in Dorthonion and Dor-lomin.]

11) Maeglin becomes a Prince of Gondolin. [Main Plot: The romance of Andreth and Aegnor.]

12) Dagor Bragollach. Deaths of Angrod and Aegnor. Battles with Balrogs. Turgon isn't there. PS - Morgoth has dragons.

13) Death of Fingolfin in single combat with Morgoth. His body is taken to the peaks above Gondolin by Thorondor. Turgon mourns the loss of his father.​

As you can see, I might be okay covering all of this if I were scripting out the Turgon show. If literally no one else in Beleriand mattered, and could just be brought in peripherally, sure, we could totally do this time period in 13 episodes. Turgon as protagonist, Aredhel as secondary protagonist, and his father Fingolfin the High King as that character who is not on main stage alot, but does seem to do important things. Weird to have Turgon play absolutely no role in the final two episodes, of course, but...at least his content all fits in.

But...that's not what's happening. Turgon is sitting in his secret realm hiding from everything, so that a lot of stories are going on that he has no part in. Sure, we can skip them or not tell them, if we want to totally ignore them. But...that was not the point of this project.

I'm not. It's extremely difficult to craft a compelling 3-hour episode of TV! Your audience is going to get bored and turn the channel. Even if they were all 2 hour episodes, while we would technically have twice as much time (or time equal to two seasons), certain plotlines would no doubt feel compressed and foreshortened if we did it that way. And it would make production a nightmare. No, I want twice the number of episodes, or two seasons. If I have to settle for 13 two-hour episodes, I could probably make it work, but it's not ideal.

Fingolfin's Arc:
  • 2 - Conflict in Mithrim with the Fëanorean Camp
  • 5 - Named High King
  • 5-20 - Establishes his realm in Hithlum. Meets and establishes diplomatic relations with the Sindar.
  • 20 - Calls for the Feast of Reuniting
  • 60 - Dagor Aglareb
  • 67 - Responds to Thingol's ban
  • 155 - Fights off an incursion from Morgoth
  • 260 - Oh look, Morgoth has dragons; that's concerning.
  • 416 - Offers Dor-lomin to the people of Hador
  • 455 - Dagor Bragollach
  • 456 - Death in solo duel with Morgoth
I see how one can view this as a story with gaps. After all, there's chunks of time where nothing much is happening involving Fingolfin, so it might seem a simple matter to just condense down his storyline: Years 0-67 for the first half of the season, and then kinda skip ahead to the stuff in the 400s for the second half of the season. And, again, that would be fine...if this were *just* a story about Fingolfin, and we didn't have to worry about Gondolin or Nargothrond or dwarves or Doriath, or (oh yeah) generations of Men. And I realize the book is all about 'the Long Peace...yeah, that didn't last' but that's the difference between historical perspective and living through it. At the time, the Long Peace seemed like it *lasted* for a long time. Fingolfin was doing well. He felt as though he were winning. The Dagor Bragollach can't feel like a crushing defeat if they've been fighting battles all along. Fingolfin has to lose something in that battle (other than his nephews), and for him, it's any hope of victory. If they have a victorious battle at the halfway point of the season, and repel another two incursions by Morgoth in the latter half of the season, and *then* have the Battle of Sudden Flame...for one thing, it's not going to feel very sudden. And for another, it will feel like a setback, just one loss, don't worry, you'll be ready for him next time....and yet, Fingolfin's in complete despair. We have to see this as completely unraveling his entire battle plan. So, the Long Peace, the detente where they try to keep Morgoth contained, has to be seen to be working. It has to feel as though it is a time of peace and that Beleriand was prospering... And then, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Last edited:
I mean, if you want to bring Men into Beleriand within the first 2-3 episodes, that could work for purposes of pacing, but I'd want to be real careful about potential Butterfly Effect issues. Crunching the timeline had a bunch of repercussions this season (and last) which I'd rather not repeat.
I want to second and third this a hundred times. Mangling the timeline in Seasons 2 and 3 has caused endless problems, some major. We should stick to the published timeline as much as we can (granting that there are a few different post-LotR versions of some dates.) to avoid causing massive, unanticipated problems that could potentially follow us through many seasons to come. And I agree 100% with MithLuin that the Dagor Bragollach won't have the necessary emotional impact if it seems to happen too soon after the Dagor Aglareb and the defeat of Glaurung.

This is the timeline that I have compiled: (making use of the Grey Annals but also some later sources that incorporate some changes and additional details)
5 Fingon and Thorondor rescued Maedhros. Reunion and reconciliation of the Houses of the Ñoldor.

6 The Ñoldor set a watch upon Dor-Daedeloth, sent scouts to explore Beleriand and the northlands, and met many Grey-elves. Finrod sent Angrod as an emissary to Doriath.

7 Maedhros waived his claim to the High Kingship, and Fingolfin became High King of the Ñoldor.

? Turgon’s folk settled Nevrast, the House of Finarfin settled Tol Sirion and Dorthonion, and the House of Fëanor settled northeast Beleriand. Building of fortresses/palaces of Himring, Barad Eithel, Vinyamar, and Minas Tirith.

? Fall of Mankind (Morgoth and/or Sauron involved) (this doesn’t necessarily have to be depicted, but the Edain do need to tell Finrod there is “a darkness behind us”)

20 Mereth Aderthad, the Feast of Reuniting of the Ñoldor and Grey-elves

50 Turgon and Finrod traveled to the Meres of Twilight, and Ulmo sent warning dreams to them.

52 With Thingol’s prompting, the Dwarves of Eryd Lindon stole Nulukkizdîn from the Petty-Dwarves, and gave it to Finrod. The Ñoldor and Dwarves began delving Nargothrond there, in secret.

53 Ulmo appeared to Turgon, who went forth and with Ulmo’s guidance discovered Tumladen

60 Morgoth returned to Angband. Dagor Aglareb and victory of the Ñoldor. The Siege of Angband began.

64 Turgon’s folk began building Gondolin in secret

65 The Ñoldor helped rebuild Brithombar and Eglarest. Finrod Felagund’s folk built Barad Nimras.

66 Galadriel revealed to Melian the death of Finwë and the theft of the Silmarils

67 Angrod revealed to Thingol the Kinslaying and the burning of the ships. Thingol banned Quenya, and the Ñoldor began to abandon it as a daily tongue.

102 Nargothrond was full-wrought

116 Gondolin was full-wrought. Ulmo spoke to Turgon, promising to protect Gondolin but warning him it would not stand forever, and bidding him leave arms and livery in Nevrast for Ulmo’s messenger yet to come. The folk of Turgon secretly moved from Nevrast to Gondolin.

150 First meeting of the Dwarves of Eryd Luin and the folk of Caranthir

155 Orcs attacked Hithlum and were defeated by the Ñoldor. Morgoth decided he needed bigger monsters, and starts working on creating Dragons.

260 Glaurung, the first Dragon, attacked Hithlum and was driven away by the Ñoldor

310 The Folk of Bëor entered Ossiriand and met Finrod Felagund, then migrated to Estolad.

311 Finrod Felagund returned to Nargothrond with Bëor as his vassal. Baran led the Folk of Bëor in Estolad.

c. 312 Battles in East Beleriand. Bëor fought alongside the sons of Finarfin and Fëanor. (this may not be necessary to depict)

314 The Folk of Marach entered East Beleriand, and dwelt in Estolad

316 Aredhel left Gondolin and came to Nan Elmoth. Eöl took her captive and married her.

c. 318 The Drúedain and Folk of Haleth entered East Beleriand, and dwelt in Thargelion. Soon after, Thingol banned Mortals from settling southern Beleriand.

320 Maeglin, son of Aredhel and Eöl, born in Nan Elmoth

330-380Many Folk of Bëor to migrated to Dorthonion and became vassals to the House of Finarfin. Many Folk of Marach migrated to the Nuath woods and Hithlum, and became vassals of Fingolfin.

355 Bëor died (age 93). This was a really big deal to the Elves.

369 Dispute among the Edain in Estolad, involving a demon doppleganger. Bereg and his followers left for Eriador. Amlach moved to Himring and became a vassal of Maedhros. (this might not be necessary to depict, but it shows the fact that the Edain are not universally enthusiastic about helping Elves, and those who did help the Elves did so willingly, they weren’t compelled by their leaders)

? Fingolfin made Hador son of Malach first Lord of Dor-Lómin, and Finrod made Boromir son of Boron the first lord of Ladros in Dorthonion. (probably between 364 and about 430)

375 Orcs attacked the Folk of Haleth, and were defeated by Caranthir. Haldad and Haldar slain. Haleth elected chieftain of the folk. Caranthir offered them his protection, but they declined to serve any Elf.

376 The Drúedain and Folk of Haleth moved to Estolad. (It may work out to skip straight to 391)

391 Haleth led her folk and the Drúedain across the Brithiach with much hardship. Finrod convinced Thingol to let them dwell in Brethil and the forest south of Teiglin.

400 Maeglin and Aredhel escaped to Gondolin. (Maeglin was 80, an adult.) Eöl met Curufin, followed Aredhel and Maeglin, murdered Aredhel, and was executed by Turgon.

409 Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth (doesn’t need to be depicted)

455 Dagor Bragollach fought on 3+ fronts. Ard-Galen burned, Dorthonion and Himlad conquered. Barahir saved Finrod. Oath of Finrod to Barahir. Hithlum besieged. Sauron captured Minas Tirith. Orodreth, Celegorm, Curufin, and Celebrimbor and their surviving folk fled to Nargothrond.
Galdor Orchal became Lord of Dor-lómin, and Barahir became Lord of Ladros. (We need to mention this because Barahir’s brother was the previous lord, and it needs to be clear that guy had no son and Barahir is his heir.)
Turgon’s messengers began trying to build ships at the Isle of Balar, hoping to ask the Valar for pardon and aid.

456 Fingolfin fought Morgoth and died. Fingon became High King.
Dorthonion was turned into Taur-nu-Fuin. Emeldir led the Bëorian survivors to Brethil, and some went on to Dor-lómin. Barahir, Beren, and 11 other men stayed behind.

458 Orcs attacked Brethil but were defeated. Húrin and Huor were brought to Gondolin by Eagles, and later returned to Brethil. (But it may be necessary to put this before the 456 events, so Season 5 ends with either the Gondolin stuff or Fingon’s crowning, and Season 6 starts with Taur-nu-Fuin, Emeldir's escape, and Barahir + Beren’s plight.)

Events at unknown times:
Sometime before Turgon starts building Gondolin in 64, Grey-elves emigrate into Hithlum and Nevrast in large numbers. At least some come from the Falathrim. (If we don't do this, Voronwe and Tuor's foster-father Annael won't exist at all. We _need_ to do this.)

Curufin gets Angrist from a Dwarf.

Finrod foretells to Galadriel that he will swear an oath that will kill him, and leave no heirs. (I think it's important to Finrod’s characterization that he knew fulfilling his oath would kill him [and maybe knew when he swore the oath, too] but chose to do so anyway.)

Some time before the Athrabeth in 409, the failed romance of Andreth and Aegnor happened (in Andreth's youth).

Soon after the defeat of Glaurung, Telchar made the Dragon-Helm for Azaghâl. Later it was passed in turn to Maedhros, Fingon, Hador, and Hador’s heirs. But this history can be explained by a character in the story of Túrin.

Sometime during the Siege of Angband and/or before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad, we need to show that Morgoth has adopted a policy of capturing Elves, especially Noldor in battle. He enslaves them in Angband's smithies and mines, but also he puts some under the Spell of Bottomless Dread, and lets them "escape". The Elves learn the hard way that escapees from Angband are untrustworthy and treacherous. Eventually even those who genuinely escape are shut out and become desperate outlaws in the wilderness.

Morgoth also tries this with Mortals, and it works just as well, although they're too fragile to be good slaves.
He tries both slavery and the Spell on Dwarves, but it doesn't really work. They can be broken by torture, but not dominated.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to show everyday Elven and Mortal life in Beleriand during peace, and ordinary "common council" among the lords of the Noldor and the relations between the three Houses, and Galadriel and Celeborn's romance and marriage, and Galadriel learning things from Melian, and the cultural change over generations as the Edain learn things from the Noldor...

Last edited:
Back