Do Balrogs Have Names?

Not all of the Lost Tales names need to be used for Balrogs. We can create cool Balrog names, and leave some of the names, like Langon and Fankil, for Great Orcs.

We have such cool Orcs... Lug, Orcobal, Othrog, Balcmeg, Gorgol...

personally i find Fankil and Langon pretty elegant sounding. But... there you go.

As Nick mentioned, we considered giving Gothmog a pre-transformation Quenya name, and a bunch of names were suggested, but at the end of the day, none was decided upon definitively. But no one should call him 'Gothmog' until after the destruction of the Lamps.

As far as killing off 9 balrogs goes, it was decided that two would survive the War of Wrath. One is clearly Durin's Bane. The other's fate is forever an unknown mystery (or we'll deal with it sometime in the 2nd Age).

So we only need to kill off 7 by the end of the War of Wrath. Gothmog and at least one more will die in Gondolin. Morgoth keeps two with him as bodyguards at all times, so they will be dealt with by, presumably, Eonwë (or someone from his army) when Morgoth is captured. I think a Vala is allowed to break the 'you die when you face a balrog' rule, and Eonwë would also be exempt, having already died facing balrogs once ;).

That's 3 left to account for.

We know that we will have a balrog kill Aegnor. It could be possible that Aegnor would take the balrog down with him (or maybe it's a team effort with Angrod).

That leaves 2-3 balrog deaths to incorporate into the actual battle of the War of Wrath. Not so terrible.....

As Nick mentioned, we considered giving Gothmog a pre-transformation Quenya name, and a bunch of names were suggested, but at the end of the day, none was decided upon definitively. But no one should call him 'Gothmog' until after the destruction of the Lamps.

As far as killing off 9 balrogs goes, it was decided that two would survive the War of Wrath. One is clearly Durin's Bane. The other's fate is forever an unknown mystery (or we'll deal with it sometime in the 2nd Age).

So we only need to kill off 7 by the end of the War of Wrath. Gothmog and at least one more will die in Gondolin. Morgoth keeps two with him as bodyguards at all times, so they will be dealt with by, presumably, Eonwë (or someone from his army) when Morgoth is captured. I think a Vala is allowed to break the 'you die when you face a balrog' rule, and Eonwë would also be exempt, having already died facing balrogs once ;).

That's 3 left to account for.

We know that we will have a balrog kill Aegnor. It could be possible that Aegnor would take the balrog down with him (or maybe it's a team effort with Angrod).

That leaves 2-3 balrog deaths to incorporate into the actual battle of the War of Wrath. Not so terrible.....

I stand firm on the idea that no elves should successfully slay a balrog until Gondolin. It reduces the hopelessness with which the audience should be viewing Echthelion and Glorfindel's situations.

I think that Eönwë, even though he's only a Maia, could kill a balrog or two in the War of Wrath without getting killed himself, since he's already been killed once by them. Ecthelion dies, I think.

I think that Eönwë, even though he's only a Maia, could kill a balrog or two in the War of Wrath without getting killed himself, since he's already been killed once by them. Ecthelion dies, I think.
Ecthelion dies killing Gothmog in the Fall of Gondolin.

We have only three Balrogs canonically dying:

Glorfindel:1
Ecthelion: 1
Gandalf: 1

in the older version we have 48 dying...
Tuor :5
Ecthelion:3
warrior's of the king's house: two score (40)

I guess we just replace these with lesser Warrior Demons and leave the fate of the other Balrogs open... it should be anyones guess if they were destroyed in the War of Wrath or not. But i don´t hink any should die before gondolin and none between gondolin and the war of wrath.

Personally, I agree that Aegnor should be killed by a balrog without seriously wounding his opponent. I just know that the idea has been floated a few times, so I wanted to mention it as a possibility. Still, that leaves 3 balrogs to be killed between the end of the fall of Gondolin and the end of the War of Wrath. Not undoable.

As for differentiating the balrogs, I don't think we need do that with weapons. They can all have fiery whips and swords, or something similar.

Personally, I agree that Aegnor should be killed by a balrog without seriously wounding his opponent. I just know that the idea has been floated a few times, so I wanted to mention it as a possibility. Still, that leaves 3 balrogs to be killed between the end of the fall of Gondolin and the end of the War of Wrath. Not undoable.

As for differentiating the balrogs, I don't think we need do that with weapons. They can all have fiery whips and swords, or something similar.
So how do we not confuse one for another?

[citation needed] here, do you mean Ecthelion?
It was a scene invented in this project, not by Tolkien. Eonwe got "killed" by Balrogs in Season 1. They only destroyed his current fana, and then Este healed him and he made a new fana.

I was referring to Eonwë in the prelude to the War of the Powers, before he was reborn as a strong warrior.

Aegnor should be quite the fierce warrior alongside his brother. According to the Shibboleth of Feanor his mother name meant 'Fell Fire,' because he was one of the most fiercest, most valiant and most feared by the orcs. It's would be ironic that the Noldor elf-prince named 'Fell-Fire' dies by the fell fire of a Balrog. If Gil-galad is his grandson, then we could give him a spear too.

Last edited:
Aegnor should be quite the fierce warrior alongside his brother. According to the Shibboleth of Feanor his mother name meant 'Fell Fire,' because he was one of the most fiercest, most valiant and most feared by the orcs. It's would be ironic that the Noldor elf-prince named 'Fell-Fire' dies by the fell fire of a Balrog. If Gil-galad is his grandson, then we could give him a spear too.

I'm pretty sure we will be giving most of the elves spears.

Back