Do Balrogs Have Names?

I'm pretty sure we will be giving most of the elves spears.
Why? Thingol, Beleg, Fingolfin, Turgon, Feanor, Maedhros are just some of the elf-lords we know use swords and that's just off the top of my head. We can add Eol and probably a lot more. It seems rare for an elf-lord to not use a sword.

Why? Thingol, Beleg, Fingolfin, Turgon, Feanor, Maedhros are just some of the elf-lords we know use swords and that's just off the top of my head. We can add Eol and probably a lot more. It seems rare for an elf-lord to not use a sword.

Of course they have swords, but swords are typically a sidearm, or a backup weapon. The most common primary weapon for the battlefield is a spear, lance, or polearm of some sort. We don't want to be putting our elves at a significant reach disadvantage.

Gil-galad is either Aegnor's nephew, his great nephew, or his first cousin once removed, depending on what genealogy choices we make. I doubt that Angrod and Aegnor's weapons survive the Battle of Sudden Flame, but I could be wrong.

Of course they have swords, but swords are typically a sidearm, or a backup weapon. The most common primary weapon for the battlefield is a spear, lance, or polearm of some sort. We don't want to be putting our elves at a significant reach disadvantage.
Ok. You know more about that sort of thing than I do.

Gil-galad is either Aegnor's nephew, his great nephew, or his first cousin once removed, depending on what genealogy choices we make. I doubt that Angrod and Aegnor's weapons survive the Battle of Sudden Flame, but I could be wrong.
Yes my mistake, I Angrod of course is the father of Orodreth and possibly grandfather of Gil-galad. Aegnor will have the romance with Andreth that could never be. It's possible the weapon could have survived, because Orodreth is supposed to escape and get to Finrod. Angrod's name meant 'iron hands,' because he always was very strong. I For some reason I imagine the two brothers to be stockier than the other Noldor.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be pedantic. I've had this conversation a few times by now, as you can imagine. :)
It didn't come across pedantic at all. It's always a good thing to get new information.

The question then is how do we make Aeglos something special.

As for the Balrogs are we going to make Aegnor and Angrod both be killed by Balrogs? I think it would help show just how powerful the Balrogs are especially if we make those brothers, two of the best warriors of the Noldor.

It didn't come across pedantic at all. It's always a good thing to get new information.

The question then is how do we make Aeglos something special.

As for the Balrogs are we going to make Aegnor and Angrod both be killed by Balrogs? I think it would help show just how powerful the Balrogs are especially if we make those brothers, two of the best warriors of the Noldor.

Well, how do we make named swords special?

And I totally agree with the second part.

Do they die together or separately? It would really nail it down if one Balrog took out two Sons of Finarfin:cool:

It's much easier with the sword, jewels on the hilt, certain swords incredibly bright and runes along the blade.

I'm not sure it would be easier to be decorative with a sword than with a spear, cultures have done it all over the world. But we're kind of getting off-topic here.

I'm not sure it would be easier to be decorative with a sword than with a spear, cultures have done it all over the world. But we're kind of getting off-topic here.
Yes the spear does look incredible, but it's probably best to get back on to Balrogs.
Do they die together or separately? It would really nail it down if one Balrog took out two Sons of Finarfin:cool:
Yes more so if it was Gothmog.I think we can even play up how the fountain in Gondolin is a spring, sacred to Ulmo. So when he faces Ecthelion it can effect his fire, but even then the headbutt will come unexpectedly and out of nowhere.

I don't think specific weapon loadouts are necessary at this level of planning, but I am against any kind of ranged weapons for them.
I would suggest that we have a little variation in their choice of weapons, so that they are not just those named, but replaceable characters but are viewed as each having kind of his own personality and preferences. I agree that a bow does not seem the right weapon for a Balrog, but we could have one use a halberd, some may have axes or maces, now that I come to think of it, maces could be really good, as long as it does not look like PJ's Sauron...

I would suggest that we have a little variation in their choice of weapons, so that they are not just those named, but replaceable characters but are viewed as each having kind of his own personality and preferences. I agree that a bow does not seem the right weapon for a Balrog, but we could have one use a halberd, some may have axes or maces, now that I come to think of it, maces could be really good, as long as it does not look like PJ's Sauron...
Maybe throw in a gunstock war club?

I'm still not sold on the notion of Balrogs as individuals. We already have sooo many characters, and ultimately by deed they are interchangeable. I imagine Morgoth being more "I must apply 3 discrete portions of Balrog to solve this problem" and less "Hmm, out of all the available Balrogs, I specifically choose Darlene, Stan, and Billy to send on this mission because their qualities are more suited to the task".

It could make the only two we care about a bit more interesting. If Gothmog is distinct as a leader/schemer, and Durin's Bane is distinct as a coward, then compared to the other 7 identical soldiers that is interesting.

I'm sure they are all individuals with significant differences from each other, but whether we need to show that on screen isn't something I'm convinced of yet.

The ONLY Reason we make them more than outstanding ExtraS would be that pretty soon there won´t be many of Morgoth´s lieutenants left...

Boldog will probably be slain by Mablung when he tries to catch Luthien, Gothmog will die in Gondolin, Thuringwethil, Tevildo, Draugluin and Carcharoth will die by Huan´s teeth and Sauron will be banished to Dorthonion, Glaurung will be slain by Turin... if we don´t want Morgoth to hold long monologues but show him interact with others than his enemies there should be other demons who take over the soon to be vacant positions .

Back