Feanor

I think yes, he could definitely be a choice! Perhaps the biggest - or only? - problem with Armitage is that he played Thorin in that movie about dwarves. It might 'taint' the impression. But then again, he wouldn't do Fëanor the same way. (And he wouldn't have a beard!)

I know what you mean. He has already played a Tolkien character and it would make a relation (as in a link? English is not my first language, sorry) between the characters that we might want to avoid.

What I like is that he is not an extremely young actor (but still young and strong) he is in his 40s, so we can present him as experienced and it will be believed. And he has a the body type that we could use for him as a smith.

I also agree that a smith should not be Fëanor's most important character trait. He is a linguist, he is a scholar, a father, a husband, a prince and heir, a son. There has to be a reason why Fingolfin admires him (at first, at least), why Nerdanel (who is considered wise amongst the elves) fell in love, married and had seven children with him. What makes him so dear to Finwë and his sons. There is also the whole complex situation with Indis and Míriel to be considered here. (I do not want Indis to look like an evil stepmother, I want her to be someone who tried her best to be like his mother, and failed.)

I do not know about others but I want people to fall in love with Fëanor and suffer through out his fall. (The way I did :p)

I think Richard Armitage could do a wonderful work there ;)

I want to bring up Sam Claflin. He's a british actor, 30 years old. People might have seen him in The Hunger Games movies, and it seems he is in a movie now called 'Me before you' (which I haven't seen). He's also played in a movie called 'The Riot Club', which is really good but unpleasant. In any case, he is a versatile actor, capable of playing both good and bad guy, being unpredictable, and he has the intensity necessary to play Fëanor.
upload_2016-8-8_9-21-32.jpegupload_2016-8-8_9-21-45.jpegupload_2016-8-8_9-22-38.jpeg
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3510471/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Last edited:
But I guess I'm mostly stuck with Armitage after all....
rh3epi5_092guyconfidentnov0311ranetcrop.jpg
images

Would still be odd seeing Armitage as Feanor, considering he's already played a recognizable character in Tolkien lore, who looks similar (aside from the beard).

I know what you mean. [Armitage] has already played a Tolkien character and it would make a relation (as in a link? English is not my first language, sorry) between the characters that we might want to avoid.

Coming late to this party, but I don't think we need over-worry too much about this. Armitage will certainly be recognizable, but he *was* wearing prosthetic as Thorin, and so won't look exactly the same, and his voice is *exactly* what I imagined Feanor's would be like. And he's certainly handsome and dynamic and appealing in all the ways we need Feanor to be, while having the acting chops to play a sympathetic villain (PJ & co's bad writing in BOTFA notwithstanding). So Armitage has my vote, for all the above, as well as since I think I'm on record with wanting Tom Hardy to play Beren.

This is referencing earlier but going with the Fëanor-Curufin resemblance with Hiddleston as one of the characters, J.J. Feild looks quite a lot like him:
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 6.23.32 PM.png

I do prefer Armitage for Fëanor, though. Hardy is another excellent suggestion.

I did some Googling for dark-haired actors. Ben Barnes came up. He played Dorian Grey and Prince Caspian in Narnia. Certainly fits it physically.

8da8a88c43ab86bfc154c52d747694ce.jpg
33cck6s.jpg

Well perhaps he could use some more weight and power...and some more intensity...

Can't really see Caspian as Feanor.

I haven't seen Ben Barnes acting, so I couldn't say whether he has the gravitas for Feanor.

I think one of the issues is that the person should be fairly young, but also capable of weighty acting, as Haakon says. That's a tough combination.

I'm of the mind that the second-generation Eldar should be 20-40 in age, whereas first generation something like 35-60.

Back