The Istari

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Haakon, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

For planning reasons and in particular because there aren't many actors who could play one of the Istari, I suggest we name those who we want to save for wizard casting discussions later. This will inevitably mean that we begin casting discussions now, of course.
    Age is one of the main features of the wizards. Remember that the actors who will be best for Saruman and the others when the time comes perhaps won't be the perfect age right now.

2. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

I want to save Jeremy Irons and possibly cast him as Gandalf, or maybe Saruman.
    upload_2017-4-20_8-19-2.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_8-19-14.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_8-19-27.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_8-19-44.jpeg

Richol Richards and Ange1e4e5 like this.
  3. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Mark Rylance. Maybe Radagast? upload_2017-4-20_8-56-37.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_8-56-55.jpeg

4. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Peter Capaldi. A grumpier Gandalf?
    upload_2017-4-20_11-6-11.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_11-6-28.jpeg upload_2017-4-20_11-9-53.jpeg

5. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Charles Dance. Saruman? upload_2017-4-20_11-43-39.jpeg

Richol Richards and Ange1e4e5 like this.
  6. Marielle

Marielle Well-Known Member

This is rather naughty of me, but I kinda want Bill Murray for Radagast.
    upload_2017-4-20_11-34-5.jpeg

7. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Daring, indeed!

8. NotACat

NotACat Active Member

I have this weird compulsion to imagine "The Blues Wizards" being played by two Steves :eek: :

Morse: [​IMG]

Vai:[​IMG]

Which is Alatar and which Pallando I have not yet decided o_O

9. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

10. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

upload_2017-5-15_10-51-5.jpeg upload_2017-5-15_10-51-24.jpeg
    Kevin Kline...? I don't know, he isn't exactly my idea of what Gandalf is like, and certainly not Saruman. It would seem a waste to cast him as Radagast (or one of the two blue). But he's a great actor, I just want to mention him anyway.

11. Ange1e4e5

Ange1e4e5 Active Member

Donald Sumpter
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't know who he'd be, just that he looks similar to Terence Stamp.

12. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Jeff Bridges as Alatar?

[​IMG]

13. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Ciaran Hinds? upload_2017-8-10_15-44-9.jpeg

Ange1e4e5 likes this.
  14. Haerangil

Haerangil Active Member

If we'd cast alatar and pallando, the wizards who went eadt and south... Would we want to cast actors who look like men from the east and the south?

Marielle and Haakon like this.
  15. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Definitely! Let's do that!

16. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Like this guy from Australia, Trevor Jamieson: upload_2017-8-11_8-7-18.jpeg upload_2017-8-11_8-9-56.jpeg
    I love his look. If he's not cast as one of the Blue Wizards, I hope we can find something else for him.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Marielle and Haerangil like this.
  17. Haakon

Haakon Well-Known Member

Also, is this where I can finally cast Ken Watanabe? Or could he play one of the Men?
    [​IMG]

Marielle and Richol Richards like this.
  18. Haerangil

Haerangil Active Member

I don't really have a real picture of the itheyn luin yet.

They are alatar and pallando or morinehtar and romestamo.

Alatar means radiant- one and mirinehtar darkness- battler... He is a maia of oromes people, so he belongs to the same tribe as tilion does. I believe his names might tell us that he is a fighter and possibly a hunter and wanderer. I suggest he is a good horseman and archer too...

So i imagine him as a tall, strong and bright (radiant?) appearance.

Pallando means far- strifing one and romestamo- east- helper. Or east-maker?tamo also means maker or smith)

So i guess he also is a wanderer and as a helper he might be a more nice and caring character.east- helper might suggest that his main area is the eadt, which dowsn't has to be true for alatar who maybe does care more about the south or perhaps has no steafy base at all.

Still he is also called a member of oromes people, unless we take a stronger empathy on the line that connects him with mandos instead

In the last case , if we'd interpret him as a member of mandos people he could be more connected to spirits, shadow, memory and death, the realms of his master. I suggest he might also be an advocate and seer.

I imagine him as smaller and more soft than the rather rough oremeian alatar, but maybe also as somewhat more dark and mysterious.