Dwarves: S3 and beyond

Does anyone have ideas on what we show of the dwarves?
If we show as little as possible of them because of secrecy, what do we show? We can't just show a dwarf die and expect people to care about him. Even if he is the one the Sindar have talked to one time earlier. Viewers are going to be like -"Who da hell is that bearded guy who just died"? -"I've no idea, but think he was a dwarf."

i think we could show ambasadors, craftsmen,caravans,merchants,warruors,councils...

in some selected scenes ee could show family scenes and personal talks if it suits the general narration.

We will need ambassadors who complain about Dwarves being killed.
During the creation of Menegroth we will have a lot of craftsmen of course, and merchants selling weapons. A couple of them will be spokesmen.
The Dwarves also attack and finish off a lot of orcs pretty early on.

all that has to happen before the arrival of the noldor...

we have to remember the sindar originally were inferior to the orcs..

the dwarves already were highly efficient in fighting them (and with them?) and after them selling weapons and metal to the sindar they fight back and make ground again.

Last edited:
We will have to show the first appearance of the Dwarves after the Sindar first encounter orcs, I believe. The elves manage to kill a few orcs (but are, as you say, inferior to them), but they have killed one or Dwarves as well. They don't realise this until a group of Dwarven ambassadors arrive with complaints.

Do the Dwarves care about the girdle of Melian at all?

As I've mentioned before, I don't see Dwarves vs. Men as some sort of binary choice. I think that we should tell good, compelling stories about dwarves, and good, compelling stories about Men. Why does one have to take away from the other?

We will have to show the first appearance of the Dwarves after the Sindar first encounter orcs, I believe. The elves manage to kill a few orcs (but are, as you say, inferior to them), but they have killed one or Dwarves as well. They don't realise this until a group of Dwarven ambassadors arrive with complaints.

Do the Dwarves care about the girdle of Melian at all?

I think that the dwarves would find it impossible to penetrate the girdle (Pay no attention to the pun behind the curtain). Imagine their dismay when they find themselves hunted by an unseen enemy they cannot pursue. What if the "ambassadors" of the dwarves have to result to detaining an Elvish hunting party in order to even get an audience?

Now that the dwarves are being introduced... how much do we want to fill in their history? We see them generations, I believe, after the Awakening of their Fathers, but did you realize only Durin is named of all seven? It would be weird, to me, to have no one in Nogrod ever name-drop their Father, Durin's presence in the published materials considered. And yet... I've done the fanfic thing in creating backstory and names before, but doing it here seems... Less appropriate? More weighty.

Merp gave the names as dwalin and thar, lotrrpg as uri and linnar... Or barin. I don't know... Like durin these are old norse names, they shouldn't be used in first age beleriand. If we do use names they should be khuzdul or sindarin. Barin could also be sindarin though...

I respect that and see the logic but Durin is such a central name. If the oldest, most important and legendary dwarf ever is known by this Norse name I wonder why I others can’t have similar names? The solution would be that these names are Sindarin of course.

Edit: that doesn’t mean I want us to use the Merp names etc

I would use the name durin, but avoid other norse names, even if dwalin or uri are classical norse dwarf names from the thulur...

Durin is ok, it could be a name from an older language that just has similarities with the norse name. But for other fathers- if we wish to invent names- i would prefer khuzdul or sindarin.

Could talk about this in the other thread but here seems more appropriate.

The common adoption of the moniker Petty-Dwarf by the Dwarves (possibly even by those to whom it is applied?) says a lot about Dwarves in general.

Why, for instance, aren't the Feanorians ever permanently renamed Oath-Elves or Revenge-Elves? It seems on the surface that the Oathing and Revenging of the Feanorians is even more out of line for Elves than being Petty would be for Dwarves. And yet Mim and friends are the ones who are forever rebranded.

It must speak to something at the very core of Dwarfishness.

Why wouldn’t that apply to other Norse sounding names?

That would be a weird coincidence wouldn't it? Besides merp and lotrrpg have both come up with a list of credible eddic dwarf names already and we probably would like to avoid either copying that or adding more to confusion of names applied contradictingly. Thrar, barin, dwalin, thelor, druin, bavor vs. Uri, linnar, sindri, thulin, var, vigdis... I think we should really try to avoid anything in that direction.

That would be a weird coincidence wouldn't it? Besides merp and lotrrpg have both come up with a list of credible eddic dwarf names already and we probably would like to avoid either copying that or adding more to confusion of names applied contradictingly. Thrar, barin, dwalin, thelor, druin, bavor vs. Uri, linnar, sindri, thulin, var, vigdis... I think we should really try to avoid anything in that direction.
It wouldn’t be a coincidence at all, especially if the dwarves chose to present the names of their fathers in something that could be interpreted as sindarin.

Back