Session 3.11 - S3 Ep 6 Green Elves

The Ents could take care of the trees in different ways without it involving growth. I don’t know exactly what they’d do but tend to them somehow, while commenting ‘Easy now, they are asleep! Waiting, hoommm... Waiting for something. It is not for me to say what they are waiting for, exactly. Let us, too, wait and see, let us not be hasty, hooommm!’

Hmmm. We don't want the trees to look dead. The way the sleep of Yavanna is meant to work is by having the trees growing normally (or rather, extremely well) during the time of the Lamps, and then to just go into some sort of stasis after the Lamps fall.

However, that is somewhat reminiscent of the perpetual autumn of Lothlorien at the end of the 3rd Age. So maybe 'no new growth' is shown by some sort of 'no new spring'. Can Melian bring spring to Doriath, in contrast with the rest of Beleriand?

I'm looking out the window right now at a street filled with living leafless trees. They don't look dead, just leafless.

Like I said, tricky to pull off.

Actually. Now that I think about it.

Can you imagine the helicopter shot of the first sun rising above the primeval forest, with waves of trees unfurling their first leaves as the light reaches them? That scene would be majestic.

Total darkness doesn't match my idea of Beleriand. Like, you could add, to the end of every scene so far, "oh and remember that it's pitch black" and I'd be surprised every time haha.

Oh I agree totally (except that there are a lot of bright stars, so it’s not that dark).

Well, there’s a difference between darkness under stars and trees without leaves.

We could compromise and have the leaves furled, like new leaves in spring often are, and upon the rising of the sun they unfurl? We could also get a color contrast then, as leaves are often lighter underneath than above.

As to other things that might happen - What about Luthien? What about Eöl? And: is this the episode where Fingolfin breaks his sword? (If so, we should visit Finarfin and his family as well)

Well it should be clear that the plants are in some magic state, in a sleep that is not natural but necessary.

There were plants and spring in the age of the pillars so i now suggest the plants are in perpetual autumn. Leaves are red or brown... Maybe.

With the rising if the sun the sleep should be lifted and a new dpring begin

Total darkness doesn't match my idea of Beleriand. Like, you could add, to the end of every scene so far, "oh and remember that it's pitch black" and I'd be surprised every time haha.

Fair! I keep putting comments about lighting in the script outline, because *every time* I am imagining the scene in full sunlight with color and then it's...oh yeah. Gotta light some fires and hang some lamps, because starlight only takes you so far.

What about Luthien?
I mean there could be a scene about Thingol's focus on preparing for war. Where did the joy go? Why is there not as much time for dancing as there used to? (And we'd get a dancing scene but with a totally different feeling framing it in comparison to the first Lúthien scene. Then, it was all joy. Now it is joy that tears people's minds from weapons and the coming of the orcs)

What about Eöl?
I haven't kept track of Eöl's doings lately. Has he created Anglachel and Anguirel yet? If not, he might do it now, perhaps. And this leads to the end of his and Telchar's friendship.

I think we can do the swords now: they might get lost in the shuffle if we introduce them around the same time as the dwarves. And the cooling of his relationship with Telchar could be the reason he wants to set up on his own, anyway.

How do we want to handle Luthien? I'm afraid depicting her as "I just want to dance!", even if we think of it as a positive, an escape from the sorrow and giving hope, would look childish or petulant, or else hopelessly naive, to the viewers. The published book depicts her as largely untouched by suffering or sadness until she meets Beren, but we probably do need to show her responding maturely to the new sorrows and crises of her people.

I agree, we don't want her to look stupid or immature. No I think if the Sindar give up the joy of living in Beleriand and just focus on aggression, they lose an important part of their elfishness. She shouldn't dance mindless of what is going on, but because of it.

Agreed, but saying she is dancing "because of" what's happening is easier than showing it. I'm not in any way suggesting we ditch that aspect of her character (surely not!) but we do need to think really, really carefully about how we frame and present it. Maybe having Melian or Beleg -- characters we're already predisposed to think intelligent and wise -- ask her to dance for them? We also need to show her doing other things; if not, even if we do pull of the dancing as a mature action, she still could look insipid.

Back