Session 4.06 - Overarching Storylines, Continued

Here's a thing I don't remember (my bad if it's clear somewhere but I don't remember it if it is). Eol. What's up with that guy? More specifically, why come West now? It would be worthwhile probably for someone more familiar with what material is in our archives, to remind all of us about what we decided his arguments were back in S2 before there were Eldar and Avari.
Why now? Because he likes his solitary existence and wants to tell the Noldor “Get off my lawn”, so to speak.

We should show Eöl bringing his black metal, a great chunk of it, to the Dwarves, wanting help to make something of it. He’s managed to create something, a simple object of some kind (I don’t know a lot about smithing, as you can tell).

Does Telchar teach Eöl to work the black metal?
Are the Petty-Dwarves involved in the creation of the black swords and the black armour of Eöl?

Here's a thing I don't remember (my bad if it's clear somewhere but I don't remember it if it is). Eol. What's up with that guy? More specifically, why come West now? It would be worthwhile probably for someone more familiar with what material is in our archives, to remind all of us about what we decided his arguments were back in S2 before there were Eldar and Avari.

Here's what I'm piecing together from olden days threads and script outlines. There isn't a lot, but it's still a lot more than in PubSil haha. To remind us of our Eol (there could be Eol cameos farther back than the Great Debate but I didn't hunt them down).

At the Great Debate: "Eöl says his piece: He starts off calm but as he goes on he works himself up into anger. He says the Quendi are meant to be out in the woods of the world. He calls Valinor a cage and accuses the Valar of not caring and wanting slaves. Worse, they will keep us as pets! Míriel tries to calm him, but that only riles him more. He is done with the lot of them and will leave. His parting shot as he storms away in fury is a warning that this will end in blood."

Ancestry: "We are making Eol Avari without specifying whether he is from the Noldo-group or Teleri-group, at present."

I don't remember it being framed that way, but Eol's arguments preview some of Feanor's arguments later.

We should show Eöl bringing his black metal, a great chunk of it, to the Dwarves, wanting help to make something of it. He’s managed to create something, a simple object of some kind (I don’t know a lot about smithing, as you can tell).

Does Telchar teach Eöl to work the black metal?
Are the Petty-Dwarves involved in the creation of the black swords and the black armour of Eöl?
So if Telchar teaches Eol to work the black metal, would Telchar teach the same to the Elven-smiths of Nargothrond, who reforge Anglachel into Gurthang?

So if Telchar teaches Eol to work the black metal, would Telchar teach the same to the Elven-smiths of Nargothrond, who reforge Anglachel into Gurthang?
Maybe. It’s unclear I think what the elves of Nargothrond actually did, what they changed, when they reforged Anglachel. It retained its basic magical properties. Perhaps it was just a design update of some kind?

Eöl's fancy black metal = galvorn
He makes his armor out of that.

The two swords are made out of meteoric iron, which is an awesome material to make blades out of, but understandably more rare than most iron ores!

I am having trouble seeing why Eöl would want to be in Beleriand. He could be hanging out with the dwarves, and want to establish a place of his own under the stars but then the Sun rises, so he needs Nan Elmoth in particular. But...why does he even know about it and when does he move there and what is he doing in Beleriand....? There are some pieces of this puzzle missing!

I guess at the very simplest, there are three core reasons

1) He's wandering aimlessly and got to Beleriand by chance (if chance you call it)
2) He's running from something specific
3) He's running toward something specific

I don't like 1) at all, I just am listing it for completeness. Of 2) and 3), ultimately it depends on what, but for a guy who is almost all villain at his core, running *from* something is an easier case to make.

I personally always thought Eol and the Petty dwarvrs ran from unknown wars in the east between men, orcs, avari and Dwarves... but i don't see how that would work with our chronology so far..

We seem to have created a problem for ourselves by making Eöl an Avari. He could have tagged along during the long Journey but now we have to invent a reason for him to be in an area where he’s the only Avari among a whole lot of elves. It really seems counterintuitive for him to be in Beleriand, of all places.

Could a solution be in his affinity with magic? Maybe he is always looking for ways to grow more powerful. He’s somehow found the black metal, and wants to create armour and weapons out of it. He senses the power of Melian from afar, and reaches Doriath - maybe he has some kind of dowsing or divining instrument, of just by sniffing his way - and he can’t pass the girdle but finds Nan Elmoth, where he wants to stay and use residual magic to increase knowledge and power.

We seem to have created a problem for ourselves by making Eöl an Avari. He could have tagged along during the long Journey but now we have to invent a reason for him to be in an area where he’s the only Avari among a whole lot of elves. It really seems counterintuitive for him to be in Beleriand, of all places.

Could a solution be in his affinity with magic? Maybe he is always looking for ways to grow more powerful. He’s somehow found the black metal, and wants to create armour and weapons out of it. He senses the power of Melian from afar, and reaches Doriath - maybe he has some kind of dowsing or divining instrument, of just by sniffing his way - and he can’t pass the girdle but finds Nan Elmoth, where he wants to stay and use residual magic to increase knowledge and power.
Maybe Nan Elmoth is built on a deposit of the black metal?

This is not a bad idea - he's running *to* the West in search of black metal. Gives a rational motivation. It feels a little thin still, but it's a start.

Well IF it is meteoric iron that is the base for his magical alloy, then maybe he had some astronomic skills and was able to calculate where that special meteorite went down and he just followed its route and as it happened, it went down in or near nan elmoth... maybe the simplest explanation?

Last edited:
Eöl has a reason to go to the mountains - the dwarves (though we do need to work out his relationship with them). So, from the Blue Mountains, we just need a reason for him to move to Nan Elmoth. I agree that a meteor striking there would be visually exciting! [I suppose there's no reason we can't have meteors on our flat world if we have a sun and a moon.] And it's also quite possible that he can detect Melian's residual magic in the place.

Would it matter if any of that happened before or after the Sun rose?

Also would be a nice idea to introduce Eol... after the battle for the sun a meteorite goes down and a few elves follow it's trail and their leader appears to be Eol.

I really like the idea - both the meteorite going down after the battle of the Sun (but could we do it?) and Eöl being an astronomer. But I’m not sure a crater in the middle of Nan Elmoth works. A meteorite could fall, say, where Lake Helevorn is. That could be a crater lake, perhaps. It would mean that we could tie Eöl to the Blue Mts Dwarves and somehow bring in Caranthir into the mix, right? Then Eöl could find the magical residue in Nan Elmoth and want to live there - after falling out with Telchar?

I really like the idea - both the meteorite going down after the battle of the Sun (but could we do it?) and Eöl being an astronomer. But I’m not sure a crater in the middle of Nan Elmoth works. A meteorite could fall, say, where Lake Helevorn is. That could be a crater lake, perhaps. It would mean that we could tie Eöl to the Blue Mts Dwarves and somehow bring in Caranthir into the mix, right? Then Eöl could find the magical residue in Nan Elmoth and want to live there - after falling out with Telchar?
Sounds good.

Back